1:48 Mirage III EA, I-016, Grupo 8 de Caza, Fuerza Aerea Argentina, May 1982

Bozo

Hi,

I've been working on this model almost a year now. It's a kitbash of a Eduard Mirage III CJ and a Italeri Mirage III EA.

Since 2012 is the year of the 30th anniversary of the Falklands War, I thought I'd do a Falklands War aircraft. I bought a load of books, and some kits (A-4's, SHAR, Harrier Gr.3). This is the only one I've managed to finish so far...

The kit itself was a clone between the better detailed Eduard Mirage III CJ and the poor Italeri Mirage III EA. As the Eduard Mirage III CJ is far superior in detail, and looks very similar to the Mirage III EA, I decided to bash the two together using the Italeri cockpit section and the Eduard kit from the area around the intakes and to the rear.

I've scratched the weapons stations for the Magic AAMs and used a spare look-alike for the centreline station for the R-530C missile.

The droptanks came from Italeri, however I scratched the fins in card.

The Magic missiles are from the Esci Mirage 2000 box.

I also made the various antennae needed on the fin, back and in front of the cockpit.

Decals used were the new Falklands print from Aztec (highly recommended, as it has the toned-down Argentinian markings) and some from Aerocalcas and stencils etc. from Eduard and Italeri.

As the engine is different on a III EA than on a III CJ, I used a Wolfpack Atar 9C resin part for the engine section with exhaust. I also used a Pavla MB mk.4 ejection seat and a metal pitot from Master.

With regards to the paint; I had a small crisis, as I had pictures of the fin being overpainted in brown to cover som ID panels (probably in yellow). I had no pictures that were good of the top side of the wings, which some also claims were painted with the ID panels and then overpainted.

I decided to do the fin, as I had good pictures of this, but not the wings.

I used WEMs FS36622 grey, FS 34079 dark green, FS 34102 green olive drab, and grey-toned white for the antennaes. Undercarriage were painted with Alclad. I used RAF Dark Brown for the ID panels.

EDIT. Forgot FS30219 tan.

I hope you like it, and any comments are welcome - also constructive critque!

16.jpg

15.jpg

14.jpg

13.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

Edited by Bozo
  • Like 3

I've been working on this model almost a year now. It's a kitbash of a Eduard Mirage III CJ and a Italeri Mirage III EA.

Since 2012 is the year of the 30th anniversary of the Falklands War, I thought I'd do a Falklands War aircraft. I bought a load of books, and some kits (A-4's, SHAR, Harrier Gr.3). This is the only one I've managed to finish so far...

Well done, very attractive model - I had the same idea some years ago and only recently finished my first, an Armada A4Q in 1/48, not as impressive as yours though. I have that Italeri Mirage III EA myself, been sitting in the cupboard for ages - I had wondered from time to time how I might upgrade it, not sure I have your skills to kit-bash. but you've provided ideas. I also have the old ESCI Mirage V/Dagger, a Hasegawa A4C, ESCI UH-1, Airfix Super Etendard, Czech Model Turbo Mentor, Revell Learjet and Frems Aermacchi MB-339A awaiting my attention some day...

I've scratched the weapons stations for the Magic AAMs and used a spare look-alike for the centreline station for the R-530C missile...

Interested to see you picked I-016 as your subject, and carefully fitted appropriate armament + tanks: the early FAA Mirage III missions are said to have deployed only the big Matra AAM, while the later top-cover missions (not many of those, and no combat unlike the early loss of two Mirages to Sea Harriers) included the Magic AAMs as well. I-016 survived the war, though having to be extensively repaired after an accident in 1983, and seems not to have had any contact during hostilities. There's a nice side-view photo of this aircraft on pp166/167 of Salvador Mafé Huertas's excellent book on the Mirage III/V (ISBN 0-85045-933-8) which perhaps you consulted.

The Magic missiles are from the Esci Mirage 2000 box.

Good tip on where to get these! Though I had intended to build my Mirage as I-015 or I-019, destroyed on May 1st and probably armed only with the R-530C missile.

Decals used were the new Falklands print from Aztec (highly recommended, as it has the toned-down Argentinian markings) and some from Aerocalcas and stencils etc. from Eduard and Italeri.

I have some Aerocalcas decals, will check out those new Aztec ones.

With regards to the paint; I had a small crisis, as I had pictures of the fin being overpainted in brown to cover some ID panels (probably in yellow). I had no pictures that were good of the top side of the wings, which some also claims were painted with the ID panels and then overpainted.

I decided to do the fin, as I had good pictures of this, but not the wings.

Camo and markings have proved the bane of modellers' life in respect of Argentine Falklands War aircraft! For some years after the war there was wide disagreement about e.g. those tactical panels. AFAICS you've got it right, no big tactical wing panels in yellow such as those worn on FAA Daggers. I have the June 2002 issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling with a useful feature on 1.48 builds of the two Mirage types engaged in Falklands hostilities, and its author Neil Robinson painted his Mirage III EA pretty much like yours. BTW your paintwork looks quite shiny – I have no idea how authentic this might be...? I have Vallejo acrylics in stock, in the USAF Vietnam shades that appear identical to those used on FAA Mirages, but hadn't got as far as deciding how shiny to finish them.

Congratulations, very good build, inspiring – must get off my bottom and do a Mirage!

Tony

ps I only just noticed your kind comment on my own A4Q build. I wonder what A4 you have awaiting completion? Mine's the Hasegawa A4C that I'll complete as a FAA A4P - I have decals and some Eduard brass details. Found my A4Q build taxing though, so will leave the 2nd A4 for a while...

Edited by corporate

Thank you guys!

Corporate; many thanks for your input. It's nice to hear from a fellow Corporate fan! And also nice to know that It have helped you in some ways w/rgds to finding bits.

Yup, I have Salvadors book. I-016 is also depicted as a drawing in Airlifes Air War over the Falklands, which I found useful as well.

W/rgds to the glossiness of my paint. I had a hard time figuring this out. It does look a bit too shiny perhaps. However, I've chosen not to matt it completely down, as I find that unrealistic - just look at the large pic in Salvadors book. But you're right, It should have gone down in glossiness :)

I didn't know of the June issue of Scale Aircraft Modelling. I think I'll have to trace it down as I have a Dagger (Fonderie Miniature Mirage V conversion) waiting on the shelf.

Often, much to my annoyance, I - and probably others too - find key references popping up right after I needed them :)

You should go right ahead with the Aztec decs

It has the following markings;

A-4P C-242 + 236 + 228 + 222

A-4Q A-307 + 301 + 305 (2 schemes here; white and green/brown) + 309

Mirage III EA I-019 + 018

Canberra B-108

SH-3 2-H-235 + 233

Lynx 3-H-142

Pucara A-537 + A-115

UK Lynx XZ247

Wasp XS 539 and XT 429 + 445S

SHAR XZ457 /14 + 451 /006 + ZA190 /009 + 177 /77 + 192 /92

UK Sea King HAS.2 97

I alos have the following lying around;

Aerocalcas 48006 Skyhawk A4Q + Super Etendard

Condor decals A4Q ( B) In the Argentine Navy (a nice resin bulged antenna is included here)

Extradecal Falklands War 25th Ann. for SHAR and GR3

I currently work on a kit-bash of the Airfix SHAR (cockpit section) and the old Monogram AV-8A. I haven't decided which A/C to do yet. It's coming along nicely, but need all the panel lines redrawn, as they're raised.

I look forward to seeing your Falklands kits in here!!

Bozo, thanks for your further words. I shall certainly follow up that Aztec decal set, since it includes specific aircraft types that I want to build and even some individual aircraft I had in mind... Pity the A4P decals don't include the four that participated in the 30th May abortive attack on HMS Invincible. Further pity the only 1:48 Pucara is the Heritage resin one at fifty quid! Interested to see it includes decals for the RN Has-2 Lynx, which should be buildable soon using maybe the new Airfix 1:48 kit plus some resin bits. And there are decals for two Wasps - frustrating IMO since AFAIK the only 1:48 kit is by Fujimi, which I owned for a while before deciding it was significantly under-scale. I'd like to do one of those, and a Scout as well - after shooting many photos of a Scout at the AAC Museum to get the details of the Nord missile mount correct!

Please note the magazine I mentioned is June 2002 - I only managed to get it on Ebay after searching for ages...

Regards, Tony

Edited by corporate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi exdraken

I used #48120 - Mirage III CJ Atar 9C Engine Nozzle Set from Wolfpack

best regards :analintruder:

Very nice kit you finished! Thanks for showing!

did you use this set?

Mirage IIICJ ATAR 9C Engine Nozzle set (for Eduard 1/48), Wolfpack WP48120

Thanks, exdraken

Thanks guys!

Bo, I used free hand. My nozzle is not the finest, so I had to go really close to avoid overspray. I've cleaned up using tips dipped in 70% isopropyl alcohol

Wonderful model, a real stunner

Well done

How did you do the masking on tha camo?

Bo