Australian Corsairs

JackG

There doesn't seem to be any RAAF squadrons that were ever equipped with this gull wing craft, but does anyone know of any specific Aussie pilots that did fly it with another nationality, perhaps the FAA?

regards,

Jack

Sorry mate but only the FAA, US Navy/Marines and us Kiwi's flew the beautifully gull winged F4U during the 2nd world war. As for Australians i can't offer any details but I would say likley given the volume of RAAF & RNZAF pilots that were stationed overseas within the RAF.

Sorry not to be more specific, but apart from the RNZAF Corsairs in the Pacific, quite a few Kiwis flew them with the FAA. I'd be very surprised if the ranks of the Royal Navy's air service didn't include the odd occasional Aussie as well. :)

Steve.

I don't see why not. I have, amongst my large collection of wartime recordings, A BBC interview with an Australian Fairey Barracuda pilot who talks about his part in attacks on the Tirpitz, and there are certainly others, though no Corsair pilots, unfortunately. Still, I think it quite likely that there were a few.

The only (possible) WW2 RAN Corsair pilot I know of with the FAA is S/L FT Sherburne RAN. Sherburne had a landing accident a Puttalam on 16.10.45 in Corsair JS554 while with 757 Squadron. Whether he was flying before VP day, I don't know.

As far as I am aware, on the fleet carriers in the Pacific, there were no Australians with 1841 or 1842 Squadrons (Formidable) or 1830 or 1833 Squadrons (Illustrious), as I believe I have complete lists of the pilots with these squadrons. I have gaps with 1834 and 1836 (Victorious), but no Australians so far. I haven't started on the squadrons on Colossus, Vengeance, Glory or Venerable.

Hope that helps