AMT 1/48th Douglas A-20J Havoc

Peter W

Here's my latest offering, the 1/48th scale A-20J from AMT. This is a really nice kit, considering it's age, and goes together without too many vices. The only annoying areas are the landing gear doors which don't have a positive location and saw much cussing trying to glue them in place. A minor nuisance though and at least I'm forewarned when I build another one. I built it pretty much OOB with the only additions being some better wheels from True Details, which also include the life raft, and decals from Eagle Strike for the F-3A 'Starize' from the 155th Photographic Squadron (Night). I'd already built the RF-4C 'Starize' from the 10th TRW when based at RAF Alconbury and this seemed fitting to build and put alongside it. Painting was all done with Xtracrylix, lots of Maskol, Future and Xtracrylix Matt to finish with. Weathering was done with Florymodels Black wash. I went for a pretty beaten up look and all in all I'm pretty pleased with how it looks but, as usual, comments and critique welcomed. If you're interested then the build thread is here: - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234922316&hl=

IMG_0348.jpgIMG_0351.jpgIMG_0352.jpgIMG_0359.jpgIMG_0362.jpgIMG_0363.jpgIMG_0366.jpgIMG_0381.jpgIMG_0385.jpgIMG_0388.jpgIMG_0391.jpgIMG_0374.jpg

• Like 3

Beautiful build Pete, I know you dont usually go for heavy weathering but I think you have nailed it, particularly like the way it has come out on the props.

Now I need to remember to pick up some Maskol (and the brass tube that I owe you :) ) and give that a try!

Hows about a pic together with its more modern namesake?

Cheers, Stu

Edited by stoohoo

A very nice build overall. One thing, just for future reference: the Martin turrets were all clear plastic, and there were no metal reinforcements.

WOW, that's a real beauty! Nice and tight. Not a spot on the clear parts! I especially love your fading effects on the green paint. Fades on the edge and have darker blops in further in - amazing effect!

Congrats on a truly magnificent build!

• 5 years later...

@ReccePhreak ... I’ve built that kit and my advice is buy Plastic strip about 4-6 mm’s in width and use it for glue tabs for the bomb bay doors if keeping them closed in particular. Mine got pushed in once before i figured that out. As AMT would have you use littl corner mounts that arent up to the task. I dont have photo’s of my build sadly. I also used plastic stripping for the landing gear doors as they had no mounting tabs at all. Same for the bomb bay if you plan on scratch building a bomb bay. The kit as is only includes a rudimentary framework. Otherwise i think the kit is quite well made.  I opened the left cockpit window on mine. And added a 1/35 folded tarp above and behind the pilot to fill in as a life raft. Heres an overall photo of mine. kuPSw4m.jpg

I hope that helps a little ? If i can photograph anything else let me know.

Dennis

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:36 PM, ReccePhreak said:

I know I am late viewing this post, but is there any chance of seeing your photos, along with your WIP photos?

I plan on doing the same aircraft someday.

Larry

Sorry for slow reply Larry but I will try to find the photos and re-load them.

Watch this space

Pete