Harriet Quimby

TerryJones

An almost forgotten heroin of the air Harriet Quimby was the first American woman to get a pilot's license 1911 and the first woman to fly across the English Channel 1912.

As her flight across the Channel coincided with the loss of the Titanic she didn't receive the media coverage she deserved.

After only 11 months of flying Harriet Quimby was killed in a flying accident when along with her passenger she was thrown from her aircraft at an airshow.

As it's 100 years since her epic flight and her being quite a good looking girl and the fact that MAVAS (Manchester Aviation Art Society) are doing an exhibition next month on pioneering flights I thought I'd do a little tribute to the lady. It's quite a small piece, about A3 and is painted in oil. I've tried to do it in a period style, sort of sepia and art nouveau ish.

Thanks for looking.

Harriet1copycopy-1.jpg

cheers,

Terry

• Like 10

Hi Terry, you've done the lady proud, pity she missed her day in the limelight and but for the accident, who knows how far she might have gone. Lovely painting I think you have captured the mood of the time perfectly.

I'd love to be in Manchester to view the exhibition, alas not!

Colin on the Africa Station

Thanks Colin, I agree she would have achieved more if not for the accident. Getting thrown out of your aircraft was unusual but just one was one of the many dangers facing the would be pilot of that time. It's hard to imagine but within 2 to 3 years pilots would be facing another danger, bullets!

Terry

Hi Terry

Clever design and composition pulled off with some flair :thumbsup:

That restricted palette really brings everything together.

Do you know this website: American Art Archives? Your painting reminded me of some of this work straight away - would've made a fantastic magazine cover back in the day before boring colour photographs ;)

That's tremendous work, Terry. I really like the style and I think you achieved the period look quite convincingly.

Thanks mate, I really appreciate you taking a look :)

Terry

Thanks Larkie :) Had a look through the website, there is some fantastic art to be seen there!! It's a shame magazine and book art is almost something of the past, some of those old artists created absolute gems just for one publication! Thanks for the link, I'm enjoying have a browse through it.

Cheers,

Terry

• 6 months later...

Thanks mate :) She was quite a stunner young Harriot :)

I do a fair bit of pencil work but normaly in prep for a painting. There are some first class pencil artists around, it's hard competing with some of those guys!

Terry

• Like 1

Terry,

I think you should now tackle another beauty ..AMELIA EARHART..

with her following Hartriet with her flying in 1922. Her story is quite a fascinating subject..

Another female pilot who evoked passion amongst people , was an enigma and evocative thoughts incurred..

I guess I just wanted to see you paint a pretty picture..

:whistle:

Edited by HOUSTON
  • Like 1

I painted Harriet for a competition on pioneering aviation, I figured most entrants would concentrate on male pilots so a face as pretty as Harriet Quimby's would stand out amongst them. The plan worked and Harriet took first place :) I had to make a tough call between her, Amelia and an extremely pretty young lady by the name of Maureen Dunlop de Popp, she flew Spitfires, Lancasters and Hurricanes in the second world war with the Air Transport Auxiliary, a pioneer in my eyes ;)

45peoobi_zps4913b063.jpg

Terry

• Like 2

I have seen a few of the WWII female pilots being interviewed on BBC who said that most of the time they were'shoved' into the Spitfire after a quick lesson on the IP panel...but hey they got the job done..

Not many are mentioned when one talks of spitfire pilots..and yes Maureen was mentioned too..

How lovely and refreshing they were too!! And quite humble..they said they had a job to do ,they got it done and went home to cook and clean after their husbands/fathers etc...

Congrats on your win with Ms Quimby.{ I wonder if she was related to the modern day disney cartoon maker Fred Quimby of USA,!}

Edited by HOUSTON
  • Like 1

It's an odd name Maureen has but what a stunner she was! She did a great job too and lived to be 91. The BBC did a documentary recently about these women, a real eye opener! you are right about being shoved into Spitfires! These were state of the art flying machines, the fastest things on the planet and these ladies after very little training handled them like pro's. It had to be done I guess, When you look at the lack of training the young pilots defending our homeland got and then sent straight into combat it makes your head swim. It was a different world then and it goes without saying we owe them a lot.

There isn't much known about Harriet Quimby's life before she got into flying, not even where or when she was born. There are a couple of Towns that lay claim to her but there is no evidence she was born in either. She didn't marry or even have any known partners. She was a carreer lady, very much ahead of time, she drove a car, smoked, travelled extensively and succeded in practicaly everything she did, quite a woman! she inspired a lot of would be pilots male and female and deserves a much better place in our history. I have to confess to being somewhat spell bound by her, it's those eyes :)

Cheers,

Terry

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Terry, I've not looked in here for a while thinking that there hadn't been any new additions. Lovely piece of work.

Interesting composition and a sparkling portrait. Great work. Hope it went well at the exhibition.

Cheers Bob.

• Like 1

Thank you for your great comments, much appreciated. I had Harriet on my wall until recently. A very nice lady who works with the Shuttleworth collection bought her. The painting is at her own home at the moment but she is planning to include it in an exhibition dedicated to Harriet Quimby at Old Warden. I'm looking forward to seeing her there :)

Cheers,

Terry