Help with spitfire sky needed

Mottlemaster

Also perhaps white might have been just that little bit different to get away with a point of difference without raising the hackles of senior command...

Ha, that possibility had crossed my mind, too- "individuality under the radar"!

Super, sorry to bring skeletons out of the closet. I did introduce it for the particular purpose of 'trim' colours, and whether some have brown or grey camo is irrelevant, so rather than distract from our well focused thread... :whistle: I think the image I was remembering might have been the same formation from the opposite side?

Edit: Oh dear- I went looking, on a hunch, and found the thread (a thread) in which this image starred: Page 1 of 6 - and I'm the one who started it! In my defense, my question was rather different, but it took on a life of its own. That first page does have several Hurris with dark spinner backplates, though.

bob

Edited by gingerbob

I've also wondered why white might have been used instead of something more"distinctive" if indeed 485 did sport white. I might be drawing a long bow here but NZ sporting and identity colours and insignia of national identification were and are black and white, and there might possibly be something in this. The NZ silver fern which was and is the coutnry's most distinguishing national insignia is usually depicted as white. Also perhaps white might have been just that little bit different to get away with a point of difference without raising the hackles of senior command but a nod to NZ's national insignia..

Pure speculation on my behalf and no doubt wildly speculative but you never know.

And the colour of the new caps for the owner (right) and the pilot of the first flight just flown Mosquito in New Zealand this Thursday...Black and White.

MosquitoKA114Ardmore27Sept2011imageDAMONEDWARDSDSC02246a.jpg

Edited by Mark12

A question on aerial wires and IFF arial. Would one include these in a 1:48 scale build? If so what would one use. I remember stretching sprue many, many years ago, but would a thin cotton or nylon thread be the order of the day. I have looked at a lot of photo's of other 1:48 builds and no one seems to put in the aerials. Are the just too small at that scale?

The thing that causes a lot of hard swallowing is when you tell people that the aerials were multi-strand and made of stainless steel. I tend to quietly forget the multi-strand part, and just make them out of stretched clear sprue, which, oddly enough, takes on a metallic-looking shine when stretched. Everyone has their favourite method, of course, as you'll probably soon find out.

Edgar

A question on aerial wires and IFF arial. Would one include these in a 1:48 scale build? If so what would one use. I remember stretching sprue many, many years ago, but would a thin cotton or nylon thread be the order of the day. I have looked at a lot of photo's of other 1:48 builds and no one seems to put in the aerials. Are the just too small at that scale?

Whether used or not is a function of what time period the model represents. Very early BoB most probably radio wire from tail to mast but no IFF, Once VHF was in use, no radio, but IFFat least until 1943 when the underwing IFF areial started to come into use. As for 1/48, no specific suggestions, in 1/72 I have used 2lb test fly fishing line and more recently .005" steel wire (comes in 60" straight lengths). Stretchy or nylon thread could work, but cotton thread may look fuzzy.

My Model

Whether used or not is a function of what time period the model represents. Very early BoB most probably radio wire from tail to mast but no IFF, Once VHF was in use, no radio, but IFFat least until 1943 when the underwing IFF areial started to come into use. As for 1/48, no specific suggestions, in 1/72 I have used 2lb test fly fishing line and more recently .005" steel wire (comes in 60" straight lengths). Stretchy or nylon thread could work, but cotton thread may look fuzzy.

I am doing a Va

My Model

I am doing a Va

I'm ready to be corrected but I believe Chuck is right.

By this stage the TR.1133 VHF set would have been installed so no antenna between the radio mast and tail but the dedicated IFF equipment would have been installed so with antenna from the tailplanes to mid fuselage.

I personally use "smoke" coloured invisible thread (available from craft and sewing shops) for mine which looks good to scale.

Hope that may help,

Tim