Heinkel He115 seaplane

This is a Heinkel He115 German seaplane reconnaissance/torpedo bomber in the older Matchbox 1/72 range. Besides Luftwaffe service this craft, designed in the late 1930's, also saw employment with Scandinavian air forces during WWII. The He115 was an attractive and solid-looking twin-float seaplane and could do an effective job as long as active fighter opposition was not in the area !

6126444024_4ed32f99ab_o.jpg

Photo Series 9-5-11 012mod6XCZ by mikedetorrice, on Flickr

7541226734_b940506fd1_o.jpg

Photo Series 7-8-12 037mod4XCZ by mikedetorrice, on Flickr

6125896803_d6e0e9182a_o.jpg

Photo Series 9-7-11-II 004mod5XCZ by mikedetorrice, on Flickr

7558368490_8be182566e_o.jpg

Photo Series 7-8-12 047mod4XCZN by mikedetorrice, on Flickr

Mike

I just went trhough some of your photos on flicker .,you would seem to have a rare talent to do those pictures.I am incrdibly impressed as I am curious as to what and how you are able to produce such clever pictures. :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

Every time i see an old Matchbox kit like this, I start my comment with "When I was a kid.....".....

When i was a kid, this was my 2nd "big" Matchbox kit: the 3 colour ones, Y'know??

Yours is so far ahead of mine, I cannot even begin to say....! REALLY nice job, Mike! clap.gif

(oh, for those interested, My 1st 3colour kit was the Phantom, Painted with that thick water-based skool paint we had in those opaque plastic cups.... Nave Blue, Natch!!)

Hi Mike, another stunning presentation.....you never fail to impress!

I couldn't make my mind up about the "ladders" being shown attached in flight, but as sure as Old George W visited a small village close by that's how it is!

Brian.

There's a brief piece on page 10 of the September 2012 issue of Scale Aircraft Modeller about one of these being hauled out of a fjord in Norway. Having never seen one, two come along at once!

I like your presentation of a well built plane, especially as loads of us cut our teeth on those kits many years ago it's great to see one built now.

Thank you very much everyone for such kind comments !

I just went trhough some of your photos on flicker .,you would seem to have a rare talent to do those pictures.I am incrdibly impressed as I am curious as to what and how you are able to produce such clever pictures. :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

LOL, thanks ! Although some may well say a slightly deranged mind must be a pre-requisite necessary to produce special FX photos, it probably mostly involves simply liking the actual subjects (be they airplanes, cars or battleships) and, of course, models of such subjects, as well as just the fun of taking pictures of things with a camera !

I use a variety of techniques but really nearly all of it is pretty straightforward and easily within the capabilities of any the modelers here (and who have the added great advantage of far superior handiwork in their replicas to use as subjects !)

Hi Mike, another stunning presentation.....you never fail to impress!

I couldn't make my mind up about the "ladders" being shown attached in flight, but as sure as Old George W visited a small village close by that's how it is!

Brian.

Thank you, Brian ! Those ladders are not very aerodynamic at all but certainly convenient, which is probably why they were just fixed in place. I understand the early prototypes leading up to the He115 featured a thicket of bracing wires, rather than the struts that appear on this craft. So, I guess it could have been even more un-aerodynamic at that early point !

Great presentation as usual Mike, with an interesting subject. The story of the He115s flown by the allies is also an interesting one!

Pat

Thanks, Pat. Yes, those craft which saw service on both sides during WWII are especially fascinating, aren't they ?

There's a brief piece on page 10 of the September 2012 issue of Scale Aircraft Modeller about one of these being hauled out of a fjord in Norway. Having never seen one, two come along at once!

I like your presentation of a well built plane, especially as loads of us cut our teeth on those kits many years ago it's great to see one built now.

Thanks. Hey, still finding these vintage craft from World War II and being able to retrieve and restore them is wonderful and quite amazing, too, after well over a half century has passed !

Mike