Finnish aircraft of World War II

Rev.Light

Now for some analysis - Steven's list is just over 70 aircraft. Let's assume you are a builder of average speed and you choose to pass on some of the more obscure ones, although i do believe that a kit or conversion is available for every one in 1/72. Let's assume you want to do a few other things and build, say, five a year. Well, that quote of a 10 year job is just about right! Good luck!

No Skua reached Finland. Not even sure the Finn's requested a Skua. Roc's were ordered and painted for the Finn's but never left Scotland.

As for the Rocs, they were fully marked up with the blue Finnish Hakaristi covered with white tape.

023b060a.jpg

As for the Hurricanes and thier wings:

451 - fabric

452 - metal

453 - probably metal?

454 - fabric, later may have got metal, but not likely

455 - fabric

456 - fabric, around 1943 got metal wing (Mk II wing?)

457 - ??? not known

458 - possibly fabric?

459 - ??? not known

460 - metal

461 - ??? was left in Wick, Scotland

462 - fabric, crashed in Stavanger Norway during transfer flight

465 was captured Mk II with metal wings.

Very good..

As mentioned above, the Fins flew quite a menagerie.....

For now I will stick to the more common types of a/c used in the Winter War, the Continuation War and immediately afterward i.e till the end of Hostilities.

To that end, I will complete the Polikarpov i-153 in Finnish colours, but the i-16 I have on the desk, I will not, as they only seemed to have captured a small number, and although they seem to have tested them extensively, they did not turn them against the Ruski's like they did with the i-153s. Although they did have quite a few UTI's.

Same sort of thing goes for the Hawk 75 and the Warhawk. They only captured 1 Warhawk (P40M) but they operated many ex-French Hawk 75s.

And the Rocs do not even come into the equasion at all.

And I will stick to 1/72 - although I do have a complete 1/48 Special Hobbies Brewster Buffalo in Finnish colours that I will use as reference for converting an Airfix Brewster or two.

At least this way I can keep a lid on things.