Ray's B747s

Ballsed up the priming the other night. I need to rub it all back and start again with a grey primer to get a uniform undersurface. Since there is so much paint on the fuselages it is making things difficult. We have a long weekend here so I hope to get the rubbing back done and at least the grey down and hopefully the first coast of white..... All self inflicted :D I am determined to finish at least oone of these kits this time around!

I did also start assembling the Braz PW4000s for the 400F as well

Spent the weekend sanding back the old paint and got a first coat on the 300. I found some of the older putty had been sanded out of the joints and windows and have had to re putty. The model feels a kg lighter now too :D I also had small blisters on my finger tips arfter a 2 hour sanding session!

Both wings are on the 400 but the dihedral is not quite right. I am not going to muck around with it though. Onward and upward!

• 2 weeks later...

More sanding and filling has occurred as well as 2 of the PW4000s for the -400 are together and in the putty and sanding stage. Got a coat of primer on the -300 and it is almost ready for its coat of Tamiya TS26 Pure White (no Halfords in this neck of the woods!)

I would post pictures but they are more of the same. When I get the andiing gear together and painted a pictorial update will be posted.

:cheers:

Keep on keeping on as the Berger ad says, although I use a 400g can of Septone Acrylic white gloss from Super Cheap Auto

and you don't need fingertips these days

my DC9's are advancing, but covered in masking tape, so nothing to see either

After more sanding an priming I kep finding floors in either the seams or modified areas. I also heard an ominous crack while sanding the 747-300. I found out later I had poped one of the wing root to fuselage joins, so more filling and sanding.

Seam repair

300repairSM.jpg

I also have been thinning down the trailiang edges of the 744, they are quite chunky out of the box. The pictures are a bit blurry but you may be able to see the comparison.

As is

744_004RSM.jpg

Thinned, well I know it is thinned!

744_003LSM.jpg

Finally both almost ready for their coats of TS26

300_400SM.jpg

Edited by TrojanThunder

• 2 weeks later...

Been trying to progress these along with my revitalised 1/72 C-17 build.

I thought they were ready for paint, yesterday I hit them with some Tamiya TS-26 from a spray pack and left them to dry. I came back and found the long cracks through the top layer of paint on both builds. Looks like another strip back. :(

1 step forward, 2 steps back at the moment. At least I am progressing with the C-17 :D

I thought they were ready for paint, yesterday I hit them with some Tamiya TS-26 from a spray pack and left them to dry. I came back and found the long cracks through the top layer of paint on both builds. Looks like another strip back. :(

1 step forward, 2 steps back at the moment. At least I am progressing with the C-17 :D

Tamiya TS-26 is what exactly?

Never used it...

I know people have had problems with paint cracking - inlcuding me - so tell a bit more

It is a Tamiya Spray pack white. I believe it is a lacquer based paint. It usually goes down with out fuss.

This is the the first time I have used it over Mr Mark Primer. Perhaps the two reacted. There was about a week between the primer going down and then the paint.

I have seen the same effect to lesser extent after I put future down too quickly over enamels.

Hmmmm..... Filling, sanding, filling, sanding.....

Sing it!

Filling, sanding, filling

Sanding, filling, sanding

Filling, sanding, filling

Raw hands!

Cracked paint to strip back

And now a joint's cracked

One forward, two back

Raw hands!

• 1 month later...