A39 Tortoise - 1:35 Kick up the 'arris completion attempt

Mike

Aha... now I see where it is. Shouldn't be too hard to replicate. Now to find the various diameters of the cupola & hatch? Could you take a micrometer to it and help a chap out please? :)

Pretty fascinating stuff, and as usual great modelling, you will have to take a photo of it next to a WW2 British tank (Cromwell or Crusader) so we can see how large it really.

Cheers

Den

Pretty fascinating stuff, and as usual great modelling, you will have to take a photo of it next to a WW2 British tank (Cromwell or Crusader) so we can see how large it really.

Cheers

Den

How's this for a size comparison?

523227_10152047195860203_1998781593_n.jpg

Aha... now I see where it is. Shouldn't be too hard to replicate. Now to find the various diameters of the cupola & hatch? Could you take a micrometer to it and help a chap out please? :)

If you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks I could cast one up for you.

If you don't mind waiting a couple of weeks I could cast one up for you.

Thanks Iain - that'd be really helpful of you. :)

I got my RB Besa MGs from Poland today for the top turret, which was helpful. I can crack on a little bit with the work in hand now. :thumbsup:

Is that the two piece Besa's Mike or the single one's,that is come in one piece.

I am looking for some of the two piece one's.

Nice going by the way. :coolio:

Edited by foxy

I put all the full details in this posting yesterday:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234918886

Paul

little-cars

Meng are sponsoring one of the halls at Telford this year, so I'm hoping they'll be bringing lots of lovely stock to knock out at a discount :pray:

You just shouldn't have said that Sean... :fraidnot:

why???

• 2 weeks later...

The Besa barrels arrived, and have been languishing on my desk for about a week now :blush: I decided that I'd better do a little bit of modelling, so replaced the kit parts with them a few minutes ago in between reviews. The barrels have two supports welded to each side, so I cut some 0.28mm strip into lengths and cut/sanded an angle to the sides, and a rounded nose, which I then glued in the barrel recess, which is necessarily square. The barrels themselves were slipped in between them and glued to the body with CA, squeezing the fillets in to make contact with the sides of the barrel.

turret1.jpg

Cent to the left for the colonial viewer, penny to the right for the home audience (if there is one?)

Looking at the close-up pic, it looks like I still need to clear some of the debris from the area after fettling the barrel surrounds into the body of the turret. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Looking good Mike.

My MGs arrived to about four days ago.

Like the small turret, did not know there were two mgs in it.

Would never have noticed on the fettle if you had not told us :coolio:

Edited by foxy

Thanks :) They're a bit more detailed than the kit parts, and importantly have hollow flash-suppressors. The fact that they're buttons to pick up from eBay clinched it for me though. ;)

If only to shut Sean up, here's a comparo of the Tortoise with a modern M1 Abrams (left) and a WWII PzIV:

comparo1.jpg

comparo2.jpg

The main thing that makes it look so big is the width and general scale of things. Front to back it's around the size of an Abrams, but it's quite a bit wider :)

HTH Sean :wicked:

The build phase of this behemoth is complete now, just the tracks and side-skirts that need fitting permanently, which will happen during the painting phase.

I replaced the kit wires for the running lights with some lead fly-tying wire, as they didn't seem to be long enough, although that could be down to my lack of understanding of the instructions, and I replaced the kit "string" with some RB Models 0.8mm braided wire, which gives a better impression of the towing cables than string ever can, and is also not fuzzy :) The tricky part is cutting it, which you'll need some wire cutters for. Dip the ends in CA before it has time to unravel, and bob's your aunty :) The ends of the shackles were drilled out per the instructions, and the paired cables were CAd in. Once complete, they were added to the block at the front, and then glued along the side of the hull to give a realistic tangle. I also replaced the kit's retaining bar at the rear with a length of brass rod to give it more strength, which I think was a good idea in hindsight, as the wire has a lot more independence than string. Once everything was glued in place, I cut the wingnut off the kit part and glued it to the top of the brass bar with CA. Job done.

hull8.jpg

hull9.jpg

Priming and track painting is next up :)

It's a lovely kit, and I've really enjoyed building it. Fair play to Meng... they did a grand job. I just hope I can do it justice with the paintjob :unsure:

nice stuff MIke - may have to look at the lead wire (assume fishing shops sell that stuff) and braided wire (ebay i guess). would .8mm be suitable for ALL 1/35 tow cables?

Hi Rob and thanks :) The lead wire is branded Turrell, and can be found online or on eBay. The RB cable was from Models for Sally some years back I think. Their primary market is brass barrels (the Besa barrels are theirs), so just have a squint around. They do all sorts of widths, and the 0.8mm was the smallest I got. When I'll use the fatter ones though, I'm not sure :hmmm:

I got a coat of primer on last night, using some wide tape to stop it from sullying the roadwheels. It's turned up a few issues, mostly the fact that I totally forgot to remove all the moulded in grab-handles and replace them with more realistic brass ones. I think I have 8 or 10 to do now... :doh:

hull10.jpg

Hi Rob and thanks :) The lead wire is branded Turrell, and can be found online or on eBay. The RB cable was from Models for Sally some years back I think. Their primary market is brass barrels (the Besa barrels are theirs), so just have a squint around. They do all sorts of widths, and the 0.8mm was the smallest I got. When I'll use the fatter ones though, I'm not sure :hmmm:

I got a coat of primer on last night, using some wide tape to stop it from sullying the roadwheels. It's turned up a few issues, mostly the fact that I totally forgot to remove all the moulded in grab-handles and replace them with more realistic brass ones. I think I have 8 or 10 to do now... :doh:

Looking better every installment (and yes there is a home audience)

Tim

Another home audience :popcorn:

Looking good mike.

Is that from halfords plastic paint in the can for primeing.

I use that method a lot as a basic cover for Plastic/resin and PE parts, seems to hold up well.

Good to see I'm not talking to myself ;)

I'm an Alclad acolyte, so that's Alclad grey primer. I've used black on the tracks, which were then coated with some of the new Lifecolor Intermediate Wear (UA905) that I reviewed here. I need to mix a bit more to do the spare track-links on the sides, but it looks rather nice so far, with just a hint of the black primer showing through :) Olive Drab for the hull next :unsure: