1/48 Academy Flanker B

Hello

On a bit of a roll in the last week or so and now managed to finish another. This is without a doubt my favourite aircraft in my favourite scheme. I have had this project on the back burner for ages, but when a set of spare of decals from the Eduard boxing became available on another site I finally had all the bits I needed!

This is the Academy kit with a fair bit of AM; SAC Gear, Aires Exhausts and Cockpit and Quickboost's Nose and Pitot. Last and not least it has the Fairy Hobby replacement canopy. This really is an excellent part and greatly improves the shape of the cockpit area and is lovely and clear. It was a bit tricky to fit, as it involves replacing two sections of the fuselage (fore and aft of the canopy) which required a lot of time and effort to get it to insert at the correct depth and blend in.

It is painted in Akan Acrylics which seem to match the pictures of the original I found. When these spray, they spray very nicely and leave a fantastic finish. However they do tend to dry on the tip very easily, this isn't so much of an issue on hard edge spraying however.

I used a fair bit of masking tape on this one, specifically an entire role of 40mm tamiya to protect areas from overspray. The demarcation was also done with Tamiya tape, sliced into then 1-2mm strips and trimmed into shape in situ.

Remarkably, I managed to get it done without any paint seeping under the tape, but there were one or two touch-ups required from minor paint lifts etc. I did the top scheme over 3 weeks allowing plenty of time for the paint to dry before masking.

I am actually quite pleased with this one, hope you like it. (Please ignore the skwiffy pitot, it's not glued in place yet).

Ian

Firstly, the airframe I was trying to replicate:

0664361.png

And the build:

DSCF1008.png

DSCF1009.png

DSCF1010.png

DSCF1011.png

DSCF1005.png

DSCF1015.png

DSCF1014.png

DSCF1016.png

DSCF1019.png

DSCF1022.png

DSCF1037.png

DSCF1038.png

DSCF1001.png

• Like 2

Cheers Guys.

The panel lines were post shaded after each colour. I did ponder on it a bit today before I committed to a panel wash. I'm pretty happy that it isn't too heavy, but it is possibly a bit marginal, and I would have most likely got away with missing this step.

Ian

Wow! Brilliant build mate! I'm gonna build Trumpeters 1/32 Flanker soon. Can't wait! :D

Robin

Cheers, I would love to do one of those, but I know I would get sucked into all the Zactoman aftermarket, then I would also end up with something that is simply too big to house, every 6 months or so I go through buying pangs for one though!

Awesome job, that looks like masking hell to me!

Quite therapeutic actually! I basically masked it out using vectors with very thin tape, so just setting the angle and running an arbitrary long piece. Once I had boxed in each 'splinter' the only challenge was working out where to make the cuts. I figure it probably took 4 hours for each of the two main masking sessions.

Having done the earlier version of this scheme I can appreciate your work - well done !

-and I follow your comments on masking therapy..... :banghead: