First Airliner ?

RobF

Hi again Chris,

There's been several posts in recent days that could be read to infer significant differences of the noses of these kits, and also implied inaccuracies. From what you've said in your previous post, I think we're agreed that once you've got the basic cockpit window shape outline correct, either by decal or masking, the "look" of all the models is pretty close and good enough for most. The details we're sweating over here is nitpicking way beyond "first Airliner" level -

Agreed on both counts Dave.

apologies to RobF for hijacking his thread, I did try and steer this away in the thread you quoted from, but seem to have failed miserably. Hope you've found it entertaining & informative if you're still reading Rob!

My apologies to Rob as well.

The BA buses decals wil be adapted from the Revell A319 boxing decals, If I get on with the builds I've promised for the Airliner II GB I might get the 318 conversion in towards the end, builds of the others are too far advanced for inclusion in the GB though.

If you need any specific detail decals or the registrations not covered by the Revell sheet let me know. I have the aforementioned F-decal sheet though I certainly won't build all subjects covered.

I've only got 1 Minicraft 737, but I did a bulk buy off Danny, so plenty of spare cockpits from this source for the 707's

Jammy bugger!!!! Now I know where to go if I run out. :winkgrin:

All the best.

Chris.

I dont know - I've never had one.

I've never had one for the reason Jessica specified.

So decide for yourself; you have one I guess, so does it fit what RobF asked for?

I have the Hasegawa ERJ. It's a wonderful kit, just perfect for a first airliner except for its cost. That's the only one of RobF's original criteria it falls short on, but it is why I didn't recommend it way back when we were giving Rob our lists of options. I still maintain that the Minicraft MD-80 is the best compromise between ease of building, accuracy and cost given the contraints of what Rob is looking for. The Minicraft 737s are a close second and only if cost is unimportant would the ERJ be an option.

Once Rob has a few Minicraft kits on his display shelves we can slowly hook him into the miniutae of the airliner modelling world. Once he's hooked is the time to get him onto the hard stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

not with airliners it's not....wait till you get involved in the Boeing 707.......

actually, having said that, there is one other option....

just build a kit, as it comes, without any hacking and sawing, without any a/m parts, just build it, paint it and decal it using what comes with it.

It's still a model, you still built it, it's still yours so who cares what others think

:)

Being a novice myself and only interested in airliners, my experience so far is that I've built 4 Revell aircraft in this order.

A380

A320

and the 1:72 Piper Cub which my sister bought me for my Birthday.:)

They all went pretty well with nice clear instructions and a well fitting parts.

In between the A380 and the Piper Cub, whilst waiting for paint/decals etc to be delivered for the others, I started the Minicraft 757 and boy was that an eye opener to model making!

Poor instructions, twisted fuselage, bad fitting wings the list goes on. I don't know if I've got a bad one or whether this is the norm but it's made me give up for the time being.

I know for certain it will be my 'crap model' as an when I finish it.

Revell all the way as far as I'm concerned.

I am hoping that you can recommend a first airliner model for me

I am looking for something with window decals - not too large a model for a first try - and in 144 scale please - if its not too expensive then all the better

Any suggestions on what I should get ?

Hi Rob,

I was in the same boat as you last month and plumped for a Zvezda Tu-154 based on the reviews on BM. It fits most of the bill, being 1/144 scale, not too big, simplicity itself to build and with some lovely detail and engineering. RRP is £15.50 but I got mine for £13.94 delivered from Amazon, so not Airfix cheap, but competitive with Revell. It doesn't have decal windows but the decal sheet I bought to use with it does and everything else matches your criteria.

It is my first airliner, and even though I'm only part way through the build I'm enjoying it so much I've ordered another Zvezda kit (the Tu-134) to go with it, and I've got my eye on another couple.

Have you had a look round the Airliner GB to see if anything there inspires?

Being a novice myself and only interested in airliners

I started the Minicraft 757 and it's made me give up for the time being.

Revell all the way as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldnt give up; minicrap as jessica said, can vary but as your ex[perince grows so will your knowledge and ability to fix even somehting as dire as the 757.

The problem with only building revell is that there are some types only availabkle from other manufacturers.

And before you get too hung up on RV they have one of two kits that need a *lot* of fixing...

so keep going :)

edit -

oh...and if you hang around on here long enough, you even get to be able to understand my mistake typing....

Edited by kev1n