Forewarned Is Forearmed

During the days of the cold war there was a group of people who were ready to help protect this nation ,they mainly lived underground ,there job to plot Nuclear bursts and record fall out ,armed only with a pack of oatmeal block and a sense of humour ,this was the Royal Observer Corps .

this represents a post somewhere in Great Britain or Northern Ireland

IMG_0246.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

IMG_0247.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

I put this in Aircraft because we had RAF uniforms ,but if the mods wish to move ,please feel free :)

• Like 2

Superb! :goodjob:

As a former Post Observer myself, this brings back a lot of memories, and I presume you served on a master post as well (hence the radio aerial) -and I remember pumping that wretched thing up regularly as I was the youngest member of the crew.

Of course, if it was my post you would have had to have lots of curious cows with their heads hanging over the fence...

Different and very good too. I have quite a number of these ROC posts near to me, and have visited the ones I could find. Some have been sadly vandalised, some demolished and some concreted over. Theres one thats very overgrown near me which has the Orlit tower still standing.

• Like 1

Different and very good too. I have quite a number of these ROC posts near to me, and have visited the ones I could find. Some have been sadly vandalised, some demolished and some concreted over. Theres one thats very overgrown near me which has the Orlit tower still standing.

Hi tiger cat

where in the UK are you ? my old post (Brent Pelham) is exactly as you described ,overgrown with its Orlit still standing :)

Superb! :goodjob:

As a former Post Observer myself, this brings back a lot of memories, and I presume you served on a master post as well (hence the radio aerial) -and I remember pumping that wretched thing up regularly as I was the youngest member of the crew.

Of course, if it was my post you would have had to have lots of curious cows with their heads hanging over the fence...

T7

you are correct my post was a master post ,and we used to get curious cows too ,sometimes too curious ,one managed to get into the post compound !!! know one knows how ,we reckoned it was the local farmer (who was in the TA ) playing a joke on us :)

Hi Jack.

When I joined the ROC in 1956, my first post was on the top of a hill in Lancashire, of course we were spotting aircraft then, however, I did go underground for a short period of time before I joined the RAF in late 1960, they could be very cold and damp, and not the best place to be if you were claustrophobic, also the climb up and down the ladder could be a little daunting. When I re-joined the ROC in 1970 after my service in the RAF, it was in the Group operations room in Kent, a little more comfortable, but I did visit many underground posts in the following years and still managed to bang my head on the counterweight climbing the ladder.

Robin.

ex 19 & 1 Groups.

was up on norland moor near halifax but i do not recall the luxury of a radio ( so when i thihk about it how would we get the readings back in a real emergency? PS Perhaps a telephone now i think about it!

Edited by plimsol

• 3 weeks later...