GB Chat

AnonymousDFB1

I've probably said this before but the best way to get a close match is to ask Halfords to custom mix a can of the right grey for you - neither ford polar grey or dove grey are the best match for the light grey used on UK airliners.

I know they have thier fans but my own view (and it is just my opinion) is that they arent the best match for Boeing grey either.

Not sure about early A320's and coro but they probably did.

then then best suggestion I can make is wait until you can -

I have a similar problem, it costs but I have to curb my impatience because it's worth waiting.

there is a compromise you can make on colour BUT...

if you get it wrong it will save a lot of heartache later on re stripping off paint and decals and re-doing it...

not to mention the added cost of buying a new decal sheet, assuming you can find the one you want, which

is where the heartache comes in :(

and there is no i in my name....

Can't find a list of participants and so not sure if I 've signed up for this one. If I have or If i can join, this will be my effort:

Picture256.jpg

DC-7C Seven Seas Company house colours and demonstrator. Not one bit of bare metal... aaah what joy!!

Just dark blue, white and a touch of red maybe.

Edited by Paul J

No Chris. The one that went AWOL was the F-RSIN job. :ninja::angry: This one is the Roden Kit I bought since.

Decals to be used on this are by JBOT.

Edited by Paul J

• 2 weeks later...

A change of circumstance means I'll have a lot more building time from the middle of next month, so I'd like to try for a third build. Having started a twin and a triple, the obvious choice is a four engined aircraft, but which one?

I've narrowed it down to an Il-86 (staying Zvezda), an Eastern Express Il-18 (staying Russian but has props) or an F-RSIN Bristol Brittania (where my interest in airliners started). Has anyone got experience of any or all of these that would make my decision easier?

A change of circumstance means I'll have a lot more building time from the middle of next month, so I'd like to try for a third build. Having started a twin and a triple, the obvious choice is a four engined aircraft, but which one?

I've narrowed it down to an Il-86 (staying Zvezda), an Eastern Express Il-18 (staying Russian but has props) or an F-RSIN Bristol Brittania (where my interest in airliners started). Has anyone got experience of any or all of these that would make my decision easier?

I'd go for the IL-86 my self

well, at last I finally got around to buying another spraycan of custom mixed Boeing Grey from Halfords, so I can get on with mine now :)

I'd go for the IL-86 my self
@Foxbat,my vote goes to the IL86 too.

OK, with 100% of the votes, The '86 has it. Got a decent deal on the Revell boxing, but I think I'll pass on the Armenian scheme and go Chinese. Just out of interest, is there anything fundamentally wrong with either of the other 2, or does the Zvezda kit get the nod because it's another one of their good ones?

Andy

The Revell kit is the Zvezda plastic with superior decals. I don't know of any other Il-86 in 1/144.

Sorry Jessica, that's me not making myself clear. I knew about the Revell/Zvezda tie up and having been pointed at that kit it was the superior Revell decals that swung it for me.

The other two kits I was asking about were the Eastern Express Il-18 and the F-RSIN Britannia. The former seemed to generate some excitment on BM when it appeared, and F-RSIN generally seem quite popular hereabouts too. Being an airliner noob, I was just looking for a little more background info, but I think we're in danger of stepping outside GB chat and into general airliner chat. I'm happy to take it to the right forum though if anyone has any pearls of wisdom to impart.

Edited by Foxbat

But remember that Eastern kits are also s*** moulded kits but will look nice once you put a tub of car body filler to it!

I got that general impression, but also thought (hoped?) that the Il-18 was a new generation kit that showed a step up in quality. All academic since I took the proffered advice and got an Il-86. Plus another Tu-154. And some more Two Six decals. And, and... I've got a bit of a habit now haven't I?

Andy

• 1 month later...

on the basis I actually do finish my pair of 727's, it's looking unlikely that pics will be posted due to the ongoing problems with google and other filtering companies blocking BM since they all think it's a malicious site :(

on the basis I actually do finish my pair of 727's, it's looking unlikely that pics will be posted due to the ongoing problems with google and other filtering companies blocking BM since they all think it's a malicious site :(

A man of your skills can find a way round it! If not, get someone else to post them for you :) Can't have the biggest gob in airliner modelling using that as an excuse! :lol::fight: