GB Chat

AnonymousDFB1

Just found a box on the loft.... contents.... Airliner kits... Partly started...

No instructions and no decals... Instructions should not be a problem. But decals will...

Content was:

• 1/144 Minicraft MD80
  • 1/144 Minicraft B737-???
  • 1/144 Revell RJ-75/100
  • 1/200 Hasegawa MD-90 x2
  • 1/200 Hasegawa A-320
  • 1/200 Hasegawa B727
  • 1/200 Hasegawa DC-9

DSC_0030.jpg

Also parts for a A330/340.. Engines and wheels.... Can`t remember what the fait of that model was...

What to do?????

Edited by RNoAF Aerobatic Team

Well it is great to see so much activity in the GB with many attempting multiples. Should be a great gallery by the end of December.

Well done all with such a flying (excuse the pun) start!

I may even attempt another if I can get my 747s finished.

Just found a box on the loft....

What to do?????

obviously you didnt want them - so give them to me, an elegant and sensible solution to your question :)

meanwhile...

this gb is almost overwhelming...so many airliners on the go...

did somebody say "airliners don't sell" ?

yeah, right...

OK, time to admit my ignorance: from looking at other builds I've picked up that Halfords' rattle cans are the recommended method of painting fuselages if you don't have an airbrush. Firstly, will a can of generic Halfords primer be the best base cost to use and secondly, which white should I be looking at (their website lists 38)?

Also, I intend to use Vallejo acrylics for everything else including final varnish. Is there anything I should be aware of before hand in terms of compatability issues or nasty reactions that would make that a bad idea?

Edited by Foxbat

Also, I intend to use Vallejo acrylics for everything else including final varnish. Is there anything I should be aware of before hand in terms of compatability issues or nasty reactions that would make that a bad idea?

As Chris says, Halfords grey primer and Gloss Appliance White are the usually favourites, tho' some like white primer; I guess either will do, but Appliance white for the base colour.

I've never used Vallejo so really can't comment, but I would guess that since Halfords paint is also acrylic it *should* be ok.

oh and by the way - when spraying Halfords remember it's a spray can so dont hold it too close to the model and

"swoosh" the spray across the model, dont stay on one area.

You'll probably need three or four thin coats.

Like most spray cans, the paint will probably 'orange-peel' a bit (a pimply surface texture)

Fix this by leaving the model alone for a few days before using micromesh to polish and smooth it out.

Halfords paint will touch-dry very quickly but under the surface it will still be wet, so micromesh being an abrasive

will remove paint...which is why you need to leave it for a while after painting.

Thank you for the swift replies. I'll get off to Halfords ASAP and stock up. I know not all acrylics are created equal (e.g. Vallejo and Tamiya don't play well together) so I'll do a test on something sacrificial before I get started on the model.