1/16 Sopwith Camel

Rizzo

Lovely build!!!! The details you've added are wonderful.

I've got 5 more ribs to glue cap strips on before I can start the wings- boy am I glad I had a bandsaw to make some better jigs for doing this. The way it was described in the manual would have taken forever.

I've got big problems with being a perfectionist, so I'm trying really hard to not modify very much.... I do like the photoetch sheet you made for the fuselage fittings- the ones in the kit are awful.

What did you use to rig your model with? I'm not too keen on the black thread...

Seeing your WIP thread was most enjoyable, thanks for sharing your build with us!

On 11/12/2016 at 10:59 AM, StevSmar said:

Lovely build!!!! The details you've added are wonderful.

I've got 5 more ribs to glue cap strips on before I can start the wings- boy am I glad I had a bandsaw to make some better jigs for doing this. The way it was described in the manual would have taken forever.

I've got big problems with being a perfectionist, so I'm trying really hard to not modify very much.... I do like the photoetch sheet you made for the fuselage fittings- the ones in the kit are awful.

What did you use to rig your model with? I'm not too keen on the black thread...

Seeing your WIP thread was most enjoyable, thanks for sharing your build with us!

For the rigging I used fishing line painted with vallejo model air silver (it sticks to the line better than you'd think it might). Something like elastic might have been better on the wings (to get the flat cross section for flying wires) but I think it needs something that would be more structural than that would provide. A few years later and it's still all fine- no problems with the tension changing over time. The only problem I had was connecting up the rudder. Adding enough tension for it to work properly put too much strain on the rudder pedal connection- I had to brace it with more lines to the front of the fuselage to balance things out. It would have been much easier to strengthen earlier on, so maybe something to consider.

Enjoy your build! Avoiding the temptation to perfect things is way to go with this kit, I agree. The kit certainly has it's issues, but it's probably the one I've enjoyed building the most.

Edited by Rizzo
  • Like 1

On 2016-11-15 at 11:50 AM, Rizzo said:

For the rigging I used fishing line painted with vallejo model air silver (it sticks to the line better than you'd think it might). Something like elastic might have been better on the wings (to get the flat cross section for flying wires) but I think it needs something that would be more structural than that would provide. A few years later and it's still all fine- no problems with the tension changing over time. The only problem I had was connecting up the rudder. Adding enough tension for it to work properly put too much strain on the rudder pedal connection- I had to brace it with more lines to the front of the fuselage to balance things out. It would have been much easier to strengthen earlier on, so maybe something to consider.

Enjoy your build! Avoiding the temptation to perfect things is way to go with this kit, I agree. The kit certainly has it's issues, but it's probably the one I've enjoyed building the most.

Thanks for the additional information Rizzo.

I purchased some stainless steel fishing leader line, I'll see how easy it is to work with. If it's a pain I might try guitar strings next before switching to fishing line.

I never would have thought painting fishing line would work... glad it's been fine.

I've purchased the Haynes Sopwith Camel book which has lots of nice photos... still trying to resist the urge to make any major changes, those fuselage fittings sure bug me though...

I noticed you got rid of the black from the laser cutting on your wing rib lightening holes... Any hints on an easy way to do this?

regards,

Steven Smart

Edited by StevSmar

On 11/20/2016 at 1:49 PM, StevSmar said:

Thanks for the additional information Rizzo.

I purchased some stainless steel fishing leader line, I'll see how easy it is to work with. If it's a pain I might try guitar strings next before switching to fishing line.

I never would have thought painting fishing line would work... glad it's been fine.

I've purchased the Haynes Sopwith Camel book which has lots of nice photos... still trying to resist the urge to make any major changes, those fuselage fittings sure bug me though...

I noticed you got rid of the black from the laser cutting on your wing rib lightening holes... Any hints on an easy way to do this?

regards,

Steven Smart

With the kits fuselage fittings, I'd maybe make an exception- or at least modify the way they attach, otherwise there's a good chance the tension will pull them out of the corners eventually?

When you choose what fishing line you use, I'd try to get something with as much elasticity/stretch as you can find, while still being close to the right thickness.

To get the charring out of the ribs, I just rolled up a small bit of sand paper... it took ages.

• Like 1

A lovely looking model. I'm impressed. I'm a fan of the Camel and have built the Hasegawa kit (and may soon be building a 2nd as a commission). That kit looks quite a bit more accurate than Hasegawa's which has some notable deviations.

Talking from 1:8 experience, wheels made with CA glued spokes are actually surprisingly robust once they are fully assembled. More than good enough to hold the weight of the model, so I assume they will be even better at 1:16.

• 3 months later...

Hi there, this is indeed remarkable work. I have the same kit sitting on the shelves and should be ready to go before long - so wondered if I could borrow / get hold of / rent / buy the files you created for the cowelling panels and rigging attachements? I have done some 3d modelling lately but do not trust my skills to produce anything this good in the reasonably forseeable future! Cheers

Hello again, the cowel and panels arrived today and am really pleased with these. Would be most interested to know how you got that amazing metallic shine in the end? Just sanding - or did you use some kind of treatment ("Mr Surfacer" type thing) as well?

Lastly, would you be willing to share/sell the image file you used for the photoetch? I am thinking of learning how to do this at home. Many thanks, Sohoppy

• Like 1

First step- give the print a clean, to get rid of any powder left on it. I just used soap and a brush.

Since making this model I've used automotive filler primer instead or MrSurfacer (I use the one Halfords sell): a few coats of that sanded down with micromesh gives a nice smooth finish from printed parts. It sticks better to the printed plastic I find, and it's a lot cheaper to use.

Over that I painted it in gloss black, which was an enamel (again from a Halfords spray can). This was my first time trying to get a metallic effect- since then I've also airbrushed Mr Color gloss black (which is a cellulose based acrylic), which seems to work just as well as a base.

The metallic effect itself is from Alclad "Airframe Aluminium" which has to be airbrushed in a very thin coat over gloss black (I've since switched to using MrColor SuperMetallic paints, they're both fine). You just dust it on and build it up until it looks right, really easy stuff to use. The important bit is getting a good glossy finish to the black base.

Over that I used an acrylic clear to protect the Alclad layer. It can dull the finish somewhat, but I actually preferred the effect in this case. You could skip this step and just be very careful handling the parts.

One thing to be aware of- the cowl itself is designed to fit over the firewall- but the engine is slightly too big once the oversized valve rockers are in place. So I needed to thin them down quite a lot to get everything to fit properly. So I'd do quite a lot of test fitting before the paint goes on (something I didn't do myself, but wished I had!)

I'll send you a pm about the photoetch. I can send the drawings I have for things like the modified instrument panel too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Rizzo,

Your build is very inspiring! I've been looking for a cowling and was very pleased to see your Shapeways offer -- I'll order once I move to my retirement home in a couple of weeks. Like Sohappy, I'd like to try my hand at making PE for this model; would you consider sending me the files you used as well? They are intended for my personal use...alternatively, are they something you could offer via Shapeways?

Thanks!

d

Outstanding build Rizzo.... I must confess to lurking in the back ground watching this with intrest, as I have this kit, barely started , and I am wondering, as I think I may have missed it, what did you use for staining of the wood and or varnish? I am mostly a plastic guy, and this will effectively be my first wood kit.... I have heard things like, they can't be stained or varnished as it ruins the grain of the wood and every bit will need to be sanded etc.... also I am like Richard, am most interested in the photo etch you made, I would love to buy that for my Camel as well......  again what an outstanding piece of art...

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Rizzo, first may I say how much your build has inspired me to go beyond the usual effort and try new techniques [possibly the dreaded soldering]. I'm still acquiring additional plans, boos, etc. to assist in making a more authentic replica.  I would also greatly appreciate your forwarding the photoetch sheet if not too much trouble.  That really makes a significant improvement.  I should add that ModelExpo should pay you a commission for the kits they sell to us who have "entered into the fray" as a result of your build.

Walt Haynes

[email protected]

• 1 year later...

Revive the thread from the dead....Happy 2019! I've been looking at this kit for a couple of days now. Came across this thread and all I can say is wow!!! This is amazing work!

Truly inspiring.

Thanks for sharing, Pat

• 2 months later...

👏 Rizzo your work is amazing ! I'm waiting for the same kit from Florida.... I’m going to draw inspiration from your work by trying to approach your mastery... if I can!
One thing is certain I will explore two new techniques that did not exist when I practiced, photo-etching and 3D printing.
To make your custom pieces on what basis did you lean on?

Can we exchange by PM ?

Guy 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rizzo

I've just purchased this kit and found this thread when looking for build logs and detailing tips.

Love your work, that seat is a masterpiece. Any tips on how to make one ?

I was wondering if you still have it, would be possible to get a copy of the photo etch file, naturally for personal use only. Creation of such a file myself is more than a little daunting.

Mark