1/16 Sopwith Camel

Rizzo

Thanks for the comments :)

I've made a new prop, with a more accurate outline (much more of a curve to the leading edge)
And the engine is painted and adjusted to fit under the cowl. There's a few small things like the fuel pump and inspection panels missing, but the main thing left is to get the rest of the alclad paint done. It's a bit like preparing sandpaper for gloss paint though, so will take a while.

20130328_094306_zpsbd399ceb.jpg

20130328_094333_zps278a8aa4.jpg

20130401_171317_zps0f3c28b0.jpg

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rizzi

I am interested in building this kit. Bought but not opened until I research the tools and matrials required.

I am very impressed by your modifications including

The seat how did you make this i.e tools, materials and method.

The cowling I was thinking of aluminium but a bit ambitious your plastic cowl is great and any help here would be appreciated.

Glus and tools for the build you found useful and any tips would also be great !!

Look forward to hearing back.

Cheers Paul

Hi Rizzi

I am interested in building this kit. Bought but not opened until I research the tools and matrials required.

I am very impressed by your modifications including

The seat how did you make this i.e tools, materials and method.

The cowling I was thinking of aluminium but a bit ambitious your plastic cowl is great and any help here would be appreciated.

Glus and tools for the build you found useful and any tips would also be great !!

Look forward to hearing back.

Cheers Paul

Hi Paul, sorry for not replying sooner, I only just saw the post today.

For the seat, I did plan to weld brass rod together, but as I've never done any welding before, decided to cheat a bit.

The frame is made from plastic tube with a brass rod in the middle. The brass rod holds the shape, while the plastic tube provides something very easy to drill into. If I were to do it again, I would use brass tube on its own- still easy to drill into, and this worked just fine when I made the new rudder.

Once the holes were drilled it's then easy to shape and glue in the vertical brass rods (I used 0.5mm brass pins cut to length). The weave was then added through this with fishing line.

For the cowling- I did consider hammering the shape out of aluminium too, but I've no idea how well that would have gone. If I hadn't 3d printed the parts, I would have probably vacformed the parts over wooden forms. You could also try the bottom of aluminium drink bottles (I had a look and found one about 4mm too wide, but otherwise quite close in shape).

For glue- I started using gorilla grip wood glue, but eventually found 5 minute epoxy resin glue to be the best for just about everything on this model. Super glue is useful too, especially for things like the rigging.

I would stain the wood before construction, and varnish (with a clear satin varnish) only when it's all together. For tools... not much other than a scalpel is needed. But you'll get through a lot of blades on this kit.

For the covering, I used solartex linen. Very easy to use, just iron it on.

Very nice and thorough job so far!!

I will definitely use it as a reference when I FINALLY decide to start building my 1/48 Sopwith Camel!!

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Sernak

• 1 month later...

G'day Rizzo, unfortunately others have used up all the superlatives I had in mind.....awesome work. So good I have decided to have a go and am at present awaiting the arrival of my kit. While I cannot expect to meet the standard you have set I intend to give it a really good go. That being said I am however of the "older" generation in posession of zero computer skills so would have no hope of recreating the replacement parts in your PE sheet ( by the way what does PE stand for? ). I was therefore hoping that I could ask for your help by either a. having a new set made and sent to me ( payment in full before you start ) or b. could I purchase a copy of the artwork. I hope that this might be possible. My email address is [email protected] . Cheers, Mack.

• 1 month later...
My dear Mr. Rizzo, first I want to congratulate you for your outstanding work as I have seen his works are great.

I ask in the most attentive if I could sell his Photo-etch of the Sopwith Camel in 1/16

also the possibility of selling the 3D parts

Here in Mexico there are no places where to send even do those jobs.

my email is [email protected]

I am grateful for what it teaches us.

Greetings from Mexico

your Fan

• 2 months later...

Great build. I started this kit a few weeks ago and started the wings last week. I am having a heck of a time removing the lighting holes from the ribs. Any hints? Some on the ribs have taken 30 plus minutes and I have got 5 gone. Thanks.

Great build. I started this kit a few weeks ago and started the wings last week. I am having a heck of a time removing the lighting holes from the ribs. Any hints? Some on the ribs have taken 30 plus minutes and I have got 5 gone. Thanks.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by removing the lighting holes- do you mean removing the burnt residue from where they've been cut out? If so, you can only remove so much, and it does take a long time. I lightly scrapped over them with a blade to remove most of the residue, then briefly sanded what was left. Only takes a few minutes for each one. There's no point trying to get rid of all of it though, you'll end up sanding too much away, and the inner layer of ply is quite dark anyway.

The lighting holes in my kit have the laser cut through most of the way on the horizontal. However the vertical cuts, top of the rib to the bottom of the rib are not cut through at all. So I have to repeatedly have to go over the lines to get the lighting hole clear. That is not easy on the rounded parts. This leaves a rough edge that I file. Was your kit like that? Really it is taking 20 to 30 minutes per rib.

Sounds like it wasn't cut properly then. Mine was cut all the way through- you can see what it should like on the ModelAirways vid here (at 4 mins in):

They're very good at replacing parts though, so I'd get in contact with them for a new sheet.

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I have seen a few of these kits, and none as phenomenal as this build! Just superb. The outstanding workmanship is unmatched. You are looking at perfection in the creative process! Just wonderful. It does not get any better ! ! !

I hope to get a kit soon in April 2014. I really would be fortunate to have Rizzo or a thread like this, to help with modifying the build!

Whether for yourself or to win an award, this is an outstanding achievement in so many aspects. BRAVO ! ! ! Basically incredible to most!

. . . Laird

Only saw this thread because of '970's recent post...... My Dad would have LOVED this, he had a thing for classic Biplanes.

Please let us know which model shows you'll be entering this in to.....so the competitive amongst us can avoid a silver medal :P