IWM Duxford (5-9-12) pic heavy.

jimbuna

It would nice to think that Duxford would take one of the VC10 before they get broken up

they already have a BOAC vc-10 there,and i'm not sure if the runway is long enough to take a vc-10.it got shortened for the M11 about 83/84.

What a stunning set of photos, I'm just gobsmacked at what they have there, never realised it was so much. I can see now having seen how they've shoe horned some of those in, why it has been recently announced that were going to/have sold some of the collection that didn't "fit" so well such as their ersatz French Ju52.

Steve.

What a stunning set of photos, I'm just gobsmacked at what they have there, never realised it was so much. I can see now having seen how they've shoe horned some of those in, why it has been recently announced that were going to/have sold some of the collection that didn't "fit" so well such as their ersatz French Ju52.

Steve.

That's my only gripe...the difficulty you have getting your subject matter in frame without part of another aircraft being viewable as well.

A quick selection from the Land Warfare building.

79493074.jpg

30372731.jpg

57224627.jpg

56828714.jpg

17391606.jpg

14594129.jpg

38476690.jpg

Thank you very much for taking the time to sort out and share ......not being really fit enough to get out there to see for for myself at the moment it is greatly appreciated being able to see what is around at the shows and museums ...

Regards Trevor ... :D

Thanks Trevor, that was always my aim, to show folk who aren't able to visit personally, what is there.

On our way home we called in at RAF Wittering to see the gate guardian, a Harrier GR.9 ZD469....this was a sad experience for me because she is the only aircraft at the base which only goes to highlight the sad demise of our armed forces in recent times.

42099478.jpg

13644065.jpg

69144134.jpg

86746444.jpg

90321249.jpg

26812144.jpg

70957139.jpg

70980736.jpg

57105256.jpg

61104988.jpg

10331366.jpg

Well that's it folks...thanks to all those who have looked and posted the kind words.

• 3 weeks later...

they already have a BOAC vc-10 there,and i'm not sure if the runway is long enough to take a vc-10.it got shortened for the M11 about 83/84.

The runway was shortened late 70's for the M11.

The 52 flew in, late 1983.

I would have thought the runway would take a VC10.

It would nice to think that Duxford would take one of the VC10 before they get broken up

When i was at Duxford the other week, i was talking to a bloke who was part of the organisation that looks after the Concorde. While chatting to him he said that he has been offered a VC-10 by the ministry of defence (as all the airliners at Duxford are owned by other organisations rather than Duxford). He mentioned that he had put forward getting a VC-10 to the powers that be at Duxford but that have refused saying they dont have the room for one appearntly so looks like Duxford wont get one. He did say that the Ministry of Denfence are trying to give away as many of the VC-10 as possible though :)

I do like Duxford and they are fabulous shots.

I always think that the Victor looks like it's been a bit of a naughty boy and told to stand in the corner! (I do wish they'd restore it though)

Graham

Nice stuff. One can definitely feel old, seeing aircraft that one was once contemporary with hanging in a museum. I remember back in 1963 when the RNZAF brought up their Sunderland Vs for the SEATO exercises that year in Manila, and I was the only one in my squadron (ultimately the last USN flying boat squadron with the SP-5B) who recognized them for what they were.

Was out at my local air museum (Chino) today, and saw the new P-40C that Fighter Rebuilders has just completed for TFC, all nice shiny (not so much in the overcast of the first day of fall here) natural aluminum, sitting next to the Seversky AT-12 (2-seat P-35). You guys are going to like this airplane when you see it at Flying Legends next year. Polished aluminum really brings out the sharklike look of the early P-40 (much moreso than the later ones).

I remember seeing Stephen Grey fly the Hawk 75A-1 here at Chino 8 years ago (gad! has it really been EIGHT years??) when he took delivery.

Overall lots of nice shots there. I'd really like to get across the pond some day and see all your museums, but She Who Muyst Be Obeyed would kill me after the first four days (Shuttleworth, Duxford, IWM, Hendon....).

Edited by TCinLA