IWM Duxford (5-9-12) pic heavy.

jimbuna

Some lovely shots there mate.

Am I the only one who is saddened to see great planes hanging from the ceiling? Sure you can get more airframes in, but you generally can't get ant good shots of them. Also, it is a great way of ensuring that these great planes will never fly again as the have been butchered and hung out to dry. God knows what odd stresses are taking hold of those airframes.

Am I the only one who is saddened to see great planes hanging from the ceiling? Sure you can get more airframes in, but you generally can't get ant good shots of them. Also, it is a great way of ensuring that these great planes will never fly again as the have been butchered and hung out to dry. God knows what odd stresses are taking hold of those airframes.

My thoughts exactly.....if I have one concern, it's the closeness of all the aircraft to each other which prevents you from photographing some of the examples effectively.

looks like they've upgraded the lighting since I was last there! And what building are the Shackleton and Victor in, they always used to be stuck outside IIRC. Thanks for posting...

IIRC they were in the Flying Aircraft hangar...the nearest one to the museum entrance

I'm really glad you enjoyed it, it's a very special place. I'm lucky enough to only be around 80 miles away so get there a few times a year. The show was good on Saturday, the airliners were open and for £2 you got to go on them all!!

I'm really glad you enjoyed it, it's a very special place. I'm lucky enough to only be around 80 miles away so get there a few times a year. The show was good on Saturday, the airliners were open and for £2 you got to go on them all!!

Nice one...the airliners were roped off on the Wednesday. Mind you, I wouldn't have wanted to go on the first one from Air UK :winkgrin:

Yes and no, where else would they go if they wasn't hanging? Outside rotting away..? as for seeing them fly again, very doubtful with whats hanging up sadly (though I would never say never to another Jag flying.)

I guess they are hung without all major internal parts to, to reduce the weight?

Nice photos however, I do love the place myself :)

The American Hangar was a bit tricky to photograph in because of the practically non existent interior lighting and the fact the whole hangar entrance was clear glass coupled with extremely sunny conditions outside.

I initially started photographing in 'forced flash' mode but the results weren't all that good so eventually settled for 'automatic' mode.

130lt.jpg

131cq.jpg

132kmv.jpg

133pc.jpg

134ia.jpg

135lc.jpg

136ir.jpg

137aa.jpg

139hm.jpg

140bto.jpg

We have a saying up north that goes something like 'shy bairns get nowt' and my friend Chris (Concorde) the northern barbarian from the north side of the Tyne is anything but shy...he loves to touch and fondle aircraft exhibits, cross barrier ropes and whatever else it takes to get a closer look.

His favourite aircraft is the SR-71 Blackbird and whilst I readily admit we both had a few touches of her tail etc. Chris decided he'd have a look up the old lady's knicker leg because he knew exactly what he'd find LOL

151jn.jpg

152gv.jpg

153sb.jpg

154do.jpg

155iz.jpg

156qw.jpg

157sq.jpg

158gwm.jpg

As many of you will no doubt already know...he was looking for the signatures on the undercarriage doors.

159xd.jpg