Trumpeter 1/48 Vampire

rholland

OMG!!!!!!!!! I've stuck up for Trumpeter in the past when some people were criticising the Sea Fury. Even though there was a few what I think were smaller inaccuracies it was still a nice kit with nice detail that captured it quite nicely (in my eyes anyway) ....................but that Vampire.

I was hoping for something that was at least a step up in accuracy and detail from the old Hobbycraft kit but looking at those photos, it's no better at all. The nose looks too long, the canopy rear looks wrong and they couldn't even do a few wing lights in clear plastic.

All I can say is why did they bother!

Is that an FB.9 or an FB.5?? I cannot see any differences with either port or starboad engine intakes.

The rear engine exhaust nozzle looks a little long as well. Almost Venom-esque.

Not sure about the Wheel Well cutouts, arn't they supposed to be squared off at the outboard sides (similar to early BF109's)???

What a shame as I really like the way they have split the mould with the wings and fuselage attached.

We can only hope that Airfix will upscale there 1/72 new mould to 48th scale for 2014. At least you can be assured that they won't get the basics wrong.

Cheers (a very disappointed) Dave.

Is that an FB.9 or an FB.5?? I cannot see any differences with either port or starboad engine intakes.

The rear engine exhaust nozzle looks a little long as well. Almost Venom-esque.

Not sure about the Wheel Well cutouts, arn't they supposed to be squared off at the outboard sides (similar to early BF109's)???

What a shame as I really like the way they have split the mould with the wings and fuselage attached.

We can only hope that Airfix will upscale there 1/72 new mould to 48th scale for 2014. At least you can be assured that they won't get the basics wrong.

Cheers (a very disappointed) Dave.

Let's hope so. Trumpeter seems to be bringing out some nice tank kits lately but when it comes to some aircraft (mainly British aircraft it would seem) something seems to go wrong.

Shame as I was looking forward to this kit too but I may as well make my Hobbycraft kit. It staggers me how we have a new Vampire kit and there seems to be virtually no progress in accuracy and detail from previous kits. Even the old Heller/Airfix Vampire looks more accurate than that. A real disappointment. :weep:

I start this by saying I am no expert, but should there not be an intake in the port wing near the main intake for the aircon? also that rear canopy looks like no picture I have ever seen?

Julien

Its so frustrating isnt it, We know from the Avengers , 262s and Dauntless that they can make great kits , they just seem to get silly things wrong. Seriously there are enough photos of these planes on the internet.

A 30 second google of images using the obscure search term "Dehavilland Vampire" revealed just about everything thats wrong with this kit.

Note to Trumpeter R&D team: Try doing the same.

Jonners

Just a quick photographic comparaison between M. Pollard Alley Cat Vampy FB.9 kit and the Trumpy new release.

Spot the differences.

Source: http://www.britmodel...hl=vampire&st=0

6875968927_da3bf4e01e_b.jpg

Source: http://www.trumpeter.../0105/2304.html

7-130105163339162.jpg

A FB.9 walk around: http://svsm.org/gall...pire_fb9?page=1

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

A lot's been said on this site lately about how readily some of us criticise kits from Trumpeter (and Hobbyboss etc), but based on this, these criticisms seem justified. The canopy's awful, as are the wing shapes.... a great shame. Trumpeter had the chance to shut us up - and once again - they've failed!

Still, it looks like a Vampire eh?

• Like 1

OK, I'm thinking... chop the engine fairing back, trim and sand back the rear of the canopy and reposition the nose gear door and then see what it looks like - better go buy one then and put my money where my mouth is!

That comparison Homebee posted says a lot- things like the cross section of the nose (all the way from the cockpit and forwards) look completely wrong to me.

We're lucky to have such a good alternative though and I'll be putting in an order for an Alley Cat Vampire next month :)

Hopefully someone will make a decent Sea Venom in 1/48 one day...

Personally I don`t think that it looks too bad! True it isn`t perfect and the company model maker has not helped matters by putting the earlier Mk.I style drop tanks onto this later variant by accident and leaving the rear framework of the canopy clear, but a bit of brisk sanding, altering the position of the nosewheel and drilling and sanding an extra air intake should make it look much better. The canopy is something that many manufacturers can get wrong and t looks great to me,

Ever hopeful,

Tony O

Personally I don`t think that it looks too bad! True it isn`t perfect and the company model maker has not helped matters by putting the earlier Mk.I style drop tanks onto this later variant by accident and leaving the rear framework of the canopy clear, but a bit of brisk sanding, altering the position of the nosewheel and drilling and sanding an extra air intake should make it look much better. The canopy is something that many manufacturers can get wrong and t looks great to me,

Ever hopeful,

Tony O

i second the call that the canopy looks ok,i would venture so far as to say that trumpeter have the edge over alleycats version when it comes to the front windshield and im sure a little sanding here and there will sort out most of the problems .im sure some enterprising company will come up with correct air intakes and drop tanks in the near future,so not as bad as it could have been ,certainly within the scope of most of us here!!

I know we are all being a little premature, however what about those wheel well cut-outs? If I'm correct, I can see that the wheel wells are seperate parts that will probably need to be attached to either the bottom wing, or underneath the top wing (if it all lines up). These appear to have the squared off outboard ends, however the cutouts on the wings themsleves are too circular too me. It may require a little filing here and there, however should we realy have to do this in this day and age. I can live with replacing the canopy and intakes, however the rest is fairly major surgery to me.

i still believe a certain 'other' company would still do a better job than this. How many of you believe that Airfix will get any of there 2013 releases wrong. I've already put my pre-orders in with the knowledge that these kits will be fantastic. i cannot wait for this year to end and read all the new release Airfix 2014 related forums in December. I felt like a 10 year old when they announced their 2013 range.

Cheers to all - Dave.

i second the call that the canopy looks ok,i would venture so far as to say that trumpeter have the edge over alleycats version when it comes to the front windshield and im sure a little sanding here and there will sort out most of the problems .im sure some enterprising company will come up with correct air intakes and drop tanks in the near future,so not as bad as it could have been ,certainly within the scope of most of us here!!

And if they do, they'll end up shelling out not far short of what the Alley Cat kit costs in the first place. Personally, I would still go with the AC kit, simply because it looks correct, is easy to build and needs none of the fettling and teeth grinding, that this new kit will no doubt need...

Spence :)

Edited by Spence
  • Like 1

And if they do, they'll end up shelling out not far short of what the Alley Cat kit costs in the first place. Personally, I would still go with the AC kit, simply because it looks correct, is easy to build and needs none of the fettling and teeth grinding, that this new kit will no doubt need...

Spence :)

Seconded, what a wasted opportunity for Trumpeter to produce something worthwhile, instead we get yet another ghastly characture of a classic British design, people can apologise all they like for its flaws and how it can all be fixed but in this day and age why would I want to fix it when I can buy an excellent alternative, even if it is resin.

No, sorry Trumpeter, and all your apologists, make a decent product and you'll get some of my money, as it is I'm off to order an AC Vampire.

people can apologise all they like for its flaws and how it can all be fixed but in this day and age why would I want to fix it when I can buy an excellent alternative, even if it is resin.

Here we go again... dude, no one here is "apologising" for any flaws, people have acknowledged them and some are wondering on work arounds - not that's not "apologising" for a kit, its seeing if anything is salvageable using their modelling skills and judgement. You may not want to give it a go, that's your prerogative, but if others do - and the final results are by no means certain to be a success - then equally that's theirs without needed to be told they're "apologists".

Edited by Jonathan Mock
  • Like 1

Here we go again... dude, no one here is "apologising" for any flaws, people have acknowledged them and some are wondering on work arounds - not that's not "apologising" for a kit, its seeing if anything is salvageable using their modelling skills and judgement. You may not want to give it a go, that's your prerogative, but if others do - and the final results are by no means certain to be a success - then equally that's theirs without needed to be told they're "apologists".

Difference of opinion Mr Mock, I see nothing worth salvaging in this sorry mess of a kit, others think differently, I don't agree.

And BTW, I don't think you know me well enough to call me 'dude' thanks very much.