Trumpeter 1/48 Vampire

rholland

To be honest if it looks like a vampire and isn't to expensive then i'll buy and build one as i have wanted one in 48th for a long time.

Personally i dont have the time or inclination to worry about accuracy but i will enjoy Jonners and the likes attempts and correcting any faults if of course there are any.

I thank you! believe me - I'd rather build an accurate model than cut one apart to make it look right ( fun though it is!).

I've always been puzzled why someone Like Hasegawa has never consider the Vampire - tons of different users, pretty simple shape changes to ring out the different marks. It has Hasegawa multiple boxings written all over it.

The post war 1st gen jets are something they've never gone for though in 1/48th, save for the F-86. You'd have thought a T-33 would be another contender for them too.

Puzzling

Still it leaves the road clear for Airfix to do the Meteor..... :wicked:

cheers

Jonners

Ultimately we need to wait and see...but Trumpeter (and HobbyBoss) don't do themselves any favours by blowing hot and cold with releases in terms of accuracy, but one does wonder - do they care what we think anyway?

When we have large chunks of the modelling press proclaiming loudly that they dont really care about accuracy anymore (presumably because stopping to check these things means it takes just a little longer to get the airbrush out for all those super whizz photogenic paintjobs) and that anyone who does, is in fact some kind of joy stealing modelling N.. well you know what I mean. Then you have to start to realise that if no one with any 'clout' in the modelling world is going to have a go at them for inaccurate models, they will just carry on with their half-baked research, that many of their models seem to exhibit.

Ooh - soapbox there, time to climb down. :)

They will sell enough vampires, I'm sure, and I hope its a cracker of a model, at a sub £25 price tag too.

Jonners

I presume that the issue is that big companies like Trumpeter have considerable power over modelling mags due to advertising spend and access to review samples - if you are too critical it seems then you get cut off.

I presume that the issue is that big companies like Trumpeter have considerable power over modelling mags due to advertising spend and access to review samples - if you are too critical it seems then you get cut off.

Actually I think thats only a small factor. I just think theres a collection of people in "the press" who dont see accuracy as a big deal, and arent afraid to say so. Nor are they afraid to label those who disagree. ( I also think its a reaction to the perceived strengths and power of internet sites, and a way of "fighting back", buts thats a whole different discussion, with Locked looming very very quickly!)

Personally I do disagree vehemently, but unless I start my own mag or website, I dont have a vehicle to reply effectively to what is often, I think, opinion dressed up as fact, and made doubly more forceful because we still want to believe as true what we see in print.

Anyhow - Im turning into Fox Mulder, so time to stop!

Jonners :)

• Like 1

Personally, I am glad Hasegawa is not releasing a Vamp. They are waaaay too expensive, decal choices are lousy, cockpit detail lousy, no ordinance! So, in addition to paying for the kit, one has to buy eduard PE for the cockpit, aftermarket decals AND weapons!!! :mental:

EX: Their F/A-18 is over $80usd!!!!!! :fuyou_2:

They are pricing themselves out of the market! :banghead:

3" 60lb ATG rockets, GP 500 lb bombs......It is a fighter/bomber..... :)

Hasegawa notorious for NOT including any ordinance!!! :fight: other than drop tanks.

That may be the case but how often did you see them carried?

Hasegawa have been known to include weapons if they are aircraft specific and not available in there weapons sets but I fear we are digressing. Considering this is a Trumpeter kit i wouldn't be surprised to see JDAM's and Phoenix missiles included in the box :mental:

To be honest if it looks like a vampire and isn't to expensive then i'll buy and build one as i have wanted one in 48th for a long time.

Personally i dont have the time or inclination to worry about accuracy but i will enjoy Jonners and the likes attempts and correcting any faults if of course there are any.

That already exists, and is the Hobbycraft 1/48 Vampire family.

They certainly 'look' like Vampires, From Modeling Madness

http://www.modelingm...ean/uk/vamp.htm

vampa.jpg

]Well, Hobbycraft had their shot at a series of Vampires and basically blew it. The wings are the wrong shape, the booms too skinny and some will fuss about the fuselage not being the correct profile as well. Aside from these little niggles, the kit does build fairly well and thanks to being shunned by most modelers, it can be found second-hand for a song. Yes, it is a disappointment when a kit has form problems, but the build was enjoyable and for many of us, that is the most important part of things.

You might to ask in the Wanted section as there are plenty about.

HTH

T

• Like 1

The Hobbycraft Vampire isd%E9gueul.gif

Some year ago I recorded the following picture from Hyperscale http://hsfeatures.co...irefb31bg_1.htm showing the CA Vampire along the Hobbycraft one.

Also of interest in Brimodeller forums: http://www.britmodel...showtopic=37506

V.P.

I'm aware of the hobbycraft reputation, I made the post inresponse to C.Smith's comment. The HC kit does "look" like a Vampire, and it's not too expensive.

As for Trumpy, ah, it's like the Diceman, you never know what the next releases will bring....as Jonner's says, let's wait and see..... me, I have an Aeroclub vac stashed away.

T

It will be interesting to see what Trumpeter 'base' their kit on, CA or Hobbycraft.

Ah yes, here we go - that puts Trumpeter firmly in the classic "have you stopped beating your wife?" trap. If it's rubbish, they're crap; if it's good, it must be stolen. Because, as we all know, being skilful or honest are actually capital crimes in China, and if you're both, they dig up your ancestors and execute them as well.

As for companies refusing to supply samples to uncomplimentary magazines - is there a documented example of this (as opposed to people telling it to each other over the interweb)? I think there may be, but I can't quite recall.

Edited by pigsty
  • Like 2

As usual it will depend on what sources they have used for the base drawings or more likely what kits they have looked at to laser scan. It goes without saying that the published drawings are all flawed in some ways and are often based on the old Ian Huntley ones from Aviation News and latterly Warpaint. And No, I'm sure they haven't been near a real one, but hopefully they may have accessed some DH material. It really is a case of wait and see.

John

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Source: http://www.trumpeter.../0105/2304.html

Product Id 02875

Size 1/48

The de Havilland DH.100 Vampire was a British jet-engine fighter. The DH.100 Vampire was commissioned by the Royal Air Force during the Second World War, and was the second jet fighter to enter service with the RAF, after the pioneering Gloster Meteor. Although the Vampire arrived too late to see combat during the war, it served with front line RAF squadrons until 1955, and continued in use as a trainer until 1966. The Vampire also served with many air forces worldwide, and set aviation firsts and records.

Item No 02875

Item Name Vampire FB.MK.9

Bar Code 9580208028750

Scale 1:48

Static Kit

Model Brief Length:197.2mm Wingspan: 244.4mm

Total Parts 50+

Total Sprues 4 sprues

Paint Schemes RAF Vampire FB.MK.9 : WR128

Released Date 2012-12

More Features

The kit consists of over 50 parts , includes 3 clear parts