Trumpeter 1/48 Vampire

rholland

Trumpeter could cock this up completely as per their Lightnings, but, on the other hand they could do a cracking job on this as per their Sea Hawk and Wyvern. Obviously I'm hoping for the latter in which case :yahoo::frantic: but if it's the former then :weep:

Wait and see, January's not too far away... ...is it?

Wez

Support your local Sheriff - I mean model manufacturer - Ali does a cracking Vampire

+1 "Buy local" you really can't go past Ali's version, and remember, all sales from his vampire go back into future RAF product development . That keeps us all happy!!

Bruce

Very good news after the Supermarine Attacker in the same scale. It's good to know that at least one manufacturer is giving attention to the british subject, despite others like "we-only-have-BFs-Eduard". :lol:

I think I may well stick with plan A and go for the Alley Cat option, particularly as it's the Swiss version with those gorgeous orange/black stripes I'm after. Besides, by the time the relevant parts are released as aftermarket additions for the Trumpeter kit it will make the price much the same anyway.

Which is not to say that the Trumpeter Vampire will not be seen for sale on a T7 Models shelf...

See you at Telford, Ali.

Edited by T7 Models

Sometimes I can't understand modellers: if a certain subject is only available in resin/ vacform/short-run everybody whines because there's no mainstream injected plastic kit available and blah blah blah.

When a company announces a brand new mainstream injected plastic kit the comment is now that it can't be better than a resin kit already available...

Following this logic when the airfix spit IX was issued we should have all said "it can't be better than the CMR kit already available". Or anytime someone hopes for an airfix 1/72 lightning we should say "who cares, the heritage aviation kit is already available!".

The truth is that as good as the Alleycat Vampire is (and I agree it's very very good), 99% of modellers don't like or are not able to work with resin, white metal and etch ! So 99% of modellers will prefer a plastic kit easily available from most hobby shops.

• Like 4

Moral dilemma.

Buy an AlleyCat Vampire at Telford... or wait for Trumpeter? :frantic:

No contest, having seen the pics of the Rhodesian AF Vampire posted elsewhere in the forum, I'd plum for the Ali Cats kit. If you ordered it today, it might even be in your hands by Tuesday! How good would that be?

Colin on the Africa Station

I tried building the old Classic Airframes 1/48 Vampire FB.5 kit. Fit was horrible and it ended up in the circular file. :wall: Alley cat is too expensive. I am not too confident in the Trumpeter kit. They are medocre kits at best. Mostly poor accuracy and heavy detail. Although I love their new Mig 23 kit...so there is some hope.

Hopefully, this one will be a winner! :pray:

Edited by Mike Esposito

Ultimately we need to wait and see...but Trumpeter (and HobbyBoss) don't do themselves any favours by blowing hot and cold with releases in terms of accuracy, but one does wonder - do they care what we think anyway?

When we have large chunks of the modelling press proclaiming loudly that they dont really care about accuracy anymore (presumably because stopping to check these things means it takes just a little longer to get the airbrush out for all those super whizz photogenic paintjobs) and that anyone who does, is in fact some kind of joy stealing modelling N.. well you know what I mean. Then you have to start to realise that if no one with any 'clout' in the modelling world is going to have a go at them for inaccurate models, they will just carry on with their half-baked research, that many of their models seem to exhibit.

Ooh - soapbox there, time to climb down. :)

They will sell enough vampires, I'm sure, and I hope its a cracker of a model, at a sub £25 price tag too.

Jonners

Ultimately we need to wait and see...but Trumpeter (and HobbyBoss) don't do themselves any favours by blowing hot and cold with releases in terms of accuracy, but one does wonder - do they care what we think anyway?

When we have large chunks of the modelling press proclaiming loudly that they dont really care about accuracy anymore (presumably because stopping to check these things means it takes just a little longer to get the airbrush out for all those super whizz photogenic paintjobs) and that anyone who does, is in fact some kind of joy stealing modelling N.. well you know what I mean. Then you have to start to realise that if no one with any 'clout' in the modelling world is going to have a go at them for inaccurate models, they will just carry on with their half-baked research, that many of their models seem to exhibit.

Ooh - soapbox there, time to climb down. :)

They will sell enough vampires, I'm sure, and I hope its a cracker of a model, at a sub £25 price tag too.

Jonners

Very well put! :thumbsup:

(...)Following this logic when the airfix spit IX was issued we should have all said "it can't be better than the CMR kit already available". Or anytime someone hopes for an airfix 1/72 lightning we should say "who cares, the heritage aviation kit is already available!". (...)

Perfect ! :whip:

To be honest if it looks like a vampire and isn't to expensive then i'll buy and build one as i have wanted one in 48th for a long time.

Personally i dont have the time or inclination to worry about accuracy but i will enjoy Jonners and the likes attempts and correcting any faults if of course there are any.