quick look at dragons 1/48 apollo 11 csm

jetboy

iHi heres a quick look and a size comparison,for this very simple,and extremely nice kit,there are a lot of decals for it,usually a kit of this has about 6 decals,this has about 36,whoopee do any way have a look ,going by this one i will be getting a few more of this scale,very nice......cheers Don

001-47.jpg

002-45.jpg

003-49.jpg

004-53.jpg

005-45.jpg

010-44.jpg

006-46.jpg

008-45.jpg

011-40.jpg

012-38.jpg

and the solid sturdy stand

009-45.jpg

decals and etch

007-44.jpg

015-42.jpg

016-32.jpg

017-28.jpg

decals

021-25.jpg

and finally a comparison,cos if your like me i find it hard to envisage sizes in my head..

013-40.jpg

thats left to right...1/144 monogram..1/100 4d.....1/96...heller and revell.....i/72 dragon.....this one 1/48 dragon .......finally monograms 1/32 ...hope you find this useful.......cheers Don

After I bought mine and had a look at it (at the time I couldn't find a decent online review) I really wished I had saved my £35 and bought something else.

Nice moulding overall, but severely lacking in any form of detail to justify the price - no transparent windows (just engraved lines), no interior detail (no point with no windows..), strange engine exhaust interior details, RCS thrusters around the command module again represented by engraved circles and ovals. There are a few more areas of disappointment (but I haven't got my kit to hand, so can't remember what they are) where with a bit of effort from Dragon, could have resulted in a very decent detailed model of the CSM that would have justified the price.

Just my opinion and to contradict what I've just written, I like it and will definitely build it soon but if it had been a bit cheaper or better detailed...

Jeff

I was going to write a review of this kit but Don beat me to it. So here are a few brief thoughts...

I love this kit. Models of an accurate Block II configuration are as scarce as rocking horse sh*t and it's good to have one in a decent scale. All those stencil decals are still too small to see, especially when they're in place on the aluminium-coloured background, but it's like building cockpit detail which is hidden when the fuselage halves are fitted together - you know it's there and that's what matters.

Yes, the lack of interior detail is disappointing, and at this scale it's much more noticeable than with the 1/72 version, but at the moment it's the only game in town.

I was going to write a review of this kit but Don beat me to it. So here are a few brief thoughts...

I love this kit. Models of an accurate Block II configuration are as scarce as rocking horse sh*t and it's good to have one in a decent scale. All those stencil decals are still too small to see, especially when they're in place on the aluminium-coloured background, but it's like building cockpit detail which is hidden when the fuselage halves are fitted together - you know it's there and that's what matters.

Yes, the lack of interior detail is disappointing, and at this scale it's much more noticeable than with the 1/72 version, but at the moment it's the only game in town.

Hi, Gordon D,sorry about preempting your presentation,still do yours as the more opinions the better,and i dont dwell on the bad points,as far as im concerned any kit is a good kit,which is probably not the attitude to have when reviewing,so your opionions will be better than mine so carry on,dont let me spoil your reviews please......cheers Donald G Edited by jetboy

Hi, Gordon D,sorry about preempting your presentation,still do yours as the more opinions the better,and i dont dwell on the bad points,as far as im concerned any kit is a good kit,which is probably not the attitude to have when reviewing,so your opionions will be better than mine so carry on,dont let me spoil your reviews please......cheers Donald G

No, I think you've more or less covered it - and I don't see why my opinions should be any better than yours. Different maybe but not better. I've pointed out my only real disappointment with the kit (the lack of interior) so no need to go over it again.

• 4 weeks later...

looks a great kit, thanks for posting the info and comments