Aston DBR9 1/24

cozalon

Hello y'all.

I've decided it is time to make a proper DBR9, and not one of those stupid 1/32 Airfix ones...

I realize it will cost me a few hundred EUR but whatever, should i go for this one?

http://viewitem.eim.ebay.se/124-MFH-HIRO-Aston-Martin-DBR9-2006-LM-Resin-Kit-K131/370503567662/item

Or are there better places to buy from than Ebay?

I have never built resin-kits before and I'm not sure I will be able to pull it off.

Will ordinary spraycans do the job? I don't feel like spending money on an airbrush.

If you guys think it's a waste of money I would probably just convert a Tamiya DBS-kit to make it look more sporty in British Racing Green and buy a decalkit for a scaleracing car ^^

And do you know what type of car this is? It looks like the Silverstone-version or some mix between the #29 and #007 car :S

forza-motorsport-4-aston-martin-007-aston-martin-racing-dbr9-par-forza4life-186850.jpg

The thing is, I want the Hackett London-decals but not that bandaid on the side from MFH xD

If anyone knows the answer to my questions it would be of great help :) And of course I will post the build here later!

I would save all your money and buy the tamiya one,because its a good kit :winkgrin:

Well the thing is: That kit would be teared to pieces and made to look as much as the DBR9 and not a DBS as possible. It is however 1/3rd the price :)

Edit: Do people consider the MFH-stuff to be bad? Is the price just because they are rare and not because they are better?

Edited by cozalon

I have pondered such a conversion from the Tamiya kit, and there are a lot of changes to make the Tamiya roadcar into anything fit for a racetrack. Wheels and tyres for one, the interior - you can probably use part of the instrumentpanel, and not forgetting widening of the wheelarches and making the wing. To save yourself a lot of grief, get a resin kit and enjoy the experience. I have the Renessaince kit, and it took a lot of effort even getting the body symmetrical. I have since put it back in the box, and I can't see myself ever finishing it - too many kits, too little time. I imagine the MFH kit to be basically better. Spartan details can be fixed a lot easier than poor patternwork.

Hiroboy also make the right shade of green, but you will need an airbrush to apply it. Alternatively, you may find the right shade in Halfords pains or get it mixed if you can find a reference. I haven't tried that myself though.

Jens

MFH are considered as state of the art in the 1/20 F1 modelling world, take a look at some of the builds recently shown in the Vehicles WIP section here on BritModeller.

However I've not seen the 1/24 sportscars so can't comment, might be worth asking around on some of the more scar orientated forums like Automotive Forum. Let us know what you find.

If you've never bought a resin kit before you may be disappointed by the MFH kit, it's quite basic for £125 plus shipping and import duty.

The Renaissance kit is cheaper but just as basic.

Yeah, that's what I'm not to eager to find... I have a hard time imagining it being better than the average Tamiya-kit :P

I have pondered such a conversion from the Tamiya kit, and there are a lot of changes to make the Tamiya roadcar into anything fit for a racetrack. Wheels and tyres for one, the interior - you can probably use part of the instrumentpanel, and not forgetting widening of the wheelarches and making the wing. To save yourself a lot of grief, get a resin kit and enjoy the experience. I have the Renessaince kit, and it took a lot of effort even getting the body symmetrical. I have since put it back in the box, and I can't see myself ever finishing it - too many kits, too little time. I imagine the MFH kit to be basically better. Spartan details can be fixed a lot easier than poor patternwork.

Hiroboy also make the right shade of green, but you will need an airbrush to apply it. Alternatively, you may find the right shade in Halfords pains or get it mixed if you can find a reference. I haven't tried that myself though.

Jens

Ok so Renessaince is a no go? You don't feel like selling your kit to me ;) ?

I might go for the Tamiya Racing Green, the pictures I've seen of some of the built DBR9's feels a bit too dark for my taste.

MFH are considered as state of the art in the 1/20 F1 modelling world, take a look at some of the builds recently shown in the Vehicles WIP section here on BritModeller.

However I've not seen the 1/24 sportscars so can't comment, might be worth asking around on some of the more scar orientated forums like Automotive Forum. Let us know what you find.

They look like they do great stuff, but that might just be the people building them aswell :) Will do, haven't checked that out yet but will now.

So from a lot of googlin' I've learned that most people prefer the MFH. It has more symmetrical bodywork as it's made from a CAD-rendered model

The Renessaince (spellcheck?) isn't bad either since it offers more parts and some detailing is better, so it seems as both is quite all-right but I'd probably go for the MFH...

Just need to find out what model I should go for to get the British Green/Orange and not a goddamn bandaid as a numbers-decal :D

I might go for the Tamiya Racing Green, the pictures I've seen of some of the built DBR9's feels a bit too dark for my taste.

IIRC the Tamiya paint is solid, but the race DBR9's were metallic. If you mean the pink number squares when you talk of bandaids on the side, I think all the Le Mans Astons carry them?

Personally I'd go for a Gulf livery one any day!!

Keef

IIRC the Tamiya paint is solid, but the race DBR9's were metallic. If you mean the pink number squares when you talk of bandaids on the side, I think all the Le Mans Astons carry them?

Personally I'd go for a Gulf livery one any day!!

Keef

https://modell-paradies.de/onShop/pic/standard/REN24-24_2-400ART.JPG Yep, that door is what I disapprove of :) But that model is exactly what I'm looking for in every other way so I will probably just cut the square number out of the decal.

I think you are right in saying that all Le Mans-Astons have pink number squares, I have just gotten fooled by some Silverstonemodel that has a white one hehe.

OK, I'll find something else than the Tamiya-colour then.

Try Hiroboy they have a few Astons including the Le Mans version your after with the pink number background , not cheap at £183 but worth a look , you will also need zero Aston Martin racing green which is metalic , I`ve used it on a tamiya DBS bodyshell and it looks spot on .

cheers

Red 5

If you've never built a resin kit before then I'd say don't do it!!!

Buy a small cheapie resin kit first to try your skills.

Resin/multimedia kits are NOTHING like a plastic kit that basically builds OOB.

Resin kits need a LOT of fettling and finishing before you even start to put the bits together.

There are forums full of people who have started on expensive resin kits and given up, putting them away in boxes until 'later'.

Also, you say the 'stupid' Airfix Aston - it is actually far more detailed than some of the resin kits - believe me.

I'm not doubting your skills in any way, it's just that I've been building resin kits for years, and I've NEVER come across one that builds like a plastic model.

You won't believe the rubbish that passes as 'instructions' in some kits.

My advice as I say - start with a smaller 'cheapie' (£30-40) resin kit and see what you think, before shelling out well over £100 on something you may never finish.

Mind you, if it's a fun, CHEAP decent size DBR9 kit you want, how about the one below - it's a freebie, 1/18 scale, made of ready-printed full colour CARD - even the wheels!

AND it's available in the Gulf colours.

I'm currently building the Gulf one and I'll start a build thread shortly.

Whatever you decide though, have fun.

Roy.

Aston_Martin_Race_Car.jpg

Edited by roymattblack

If you've never built a resin kit before then I'd say don't do it!!!

Buy a small cheapie resin kit first to try your skills.

Resin/multimedia kits are NOTHING like a plastic kit that basically builds OOB.

Resin kits need a LOT of fettling and finishing before you even start to put the bits together.

There are forums full of people who have started on expensive resin kits and given up, putting them away in boxes until 'later'.

Also, you say the 'stupid' Airfix Aston - it is actually far more detailed than some of the resin kits - believe me.

I'm not doubting your skills in any way, it's just that I've been building resin kits for years, and I've NEVER come across one that builds like a plastic model.

You won't believe the rubbish that passes as 'instructions' in some kits.

My advice as I say - start with a smaller 'cheapie' (£30-40) resin kit and see what you think, before shelling out well over £100 on something you may never finish.

Whatever you decide though, have fun.

Roy.

Yes, there's nothing stupid about the Airfix but I really dont feel like switching scales :/

I have no problem using filler and rasps if its whats required for a 1/24 and it's ok if it takes a little time :)

If you want to recommend a cheaper resin it would be nice, I've never seen one actually haha.

This was the first all resin kit I ever built (car or aircraft) a few years ago now. Just decided that I loved the car & went for it! It needed a little fitting & fettling, but nothing untoward, & as there are far fewer parts than many complicated injection kits, I found it went together a lot quicker than some of those! Didn't find any real problems with alignment, & the only real 'tricky' bit was the acetate screens, as there's very little for them to glue onto, & of course you need to use something like pva to make sure you don't mark them - they actually need re-gluing, must get round to it!

It's a Rennaisance kit, Citroen Xsara 'kit car';

A0038.jpg

A0040.jpg

For myself. & not wanting to appear argumentative, I'd say if you love the subject - go for it!!

Keef

I'm going to contradict most of what has been said above. I say go for it.

Hiro's F1 kits are state of the art, the Astons are much simpler and kerbside. That said, the price of the ebay one is extremely good, I'd love to say that we could match that price but we can't buy them from Hiro for that!

With Hiro you will find very little fettling will be needed apart from trimming the odd feed tag, the castings are extremely crisp and not to be confused with the more traditional artisan cast items. They look more like injection mouldings. If you need filler it's because you've dropped and broken it! You will struggle to find an more precisely made resin kit. The instructions are usually CAD drawings and far superior to those is in many resin kits.

Hola Keef. I've always found that car pretty well... not interesting or pretty but it's something about it, probably because of some old WRC-video game :)

Will order one, as practice, still haven't decided what DBR9 I will order but I might get hold of a used/half-built one. Sweet.

Edit: Well then, fatbaldbloke (what a pretty name), the one on ebay is exactly the livery I look for so that's good to hear :D

Edited by cozalon

Hola Keef. I've always found that car pretty well... not interesting or pretty but it's something about it, probably because of some old WRC-video game :)

I liked it because one of my favourite drivers of the time Philippe ''The Bug'' Bugalski managed to beat all the hyper-expensive all-singing, all dancing WRC cars on an all tarmac WRC round in what was a fairly 'basic' front wheel drive only car!! Of course it then itself morphed into one of those hyper-expensive WRC's & became just about unbeatable in the hands of one S.Loeb....

Good luck with the Aston!

Keef