What's NOT flying over the house (anymore)...

JeffreyK

...as much as I generally enjoyed the Olympic/Paralympic times, it has robbed me of my daily (or at least weekly) fix of military hardware flying over. No Chinooks, no Pumas, no Merlins, no Lynx' , nothing. They usually come over in a north/south route which continues over the Olympic park area south of me so it looks like currently all flying is either suspended or takes a different route.

Hope the old routine will be reinstated after the Pralympics or I have to move house ;)

Cheers

Jeffrey

I live on the flightpath to Luton ,and we only get the "common types " now ,namely Ryan air and Easyjet ,I miss the old stuff ,Brittanias ,Bac 1-11s ,Caravelles ,even the ocaisional VC10 and once a year Concorde :) we used to get the odd Military stuff on route to Hatfield too :)

Where to start? Meteor, Avro 707, Ashton, Early BoB flight, Vampire, 748, Grumman Albatross, F84F, F100, F101, F4, A10, Herk, HH3 HH53, Husky, Heron, DH 86 Express, Dakota, Auster, Lightning, Harrier, Lynx, Gazelle, Whirlwind, Tornado.

All I get is airliners and Apaches

The fast jet route just south and over my home village area!

Only get Wokkas now and spam cans with the odd treat of vintage types, airshow transits, hot air ballons and the Gatwick inbounds/outbounds!

I used to be able to set my watch by the Concorde Flying over me going up Edgeware Road on my daily commute home(6pm)... I never got tired of that sight...

Oh dear, yes. For years Concorde turned over my house to get between airway and approach. Twice each evening, regular as clockwork, and I'd always look up at the weekend - never tired of the sight. And on the way home from work, there she would be, with tourists photographing her madly. It was often easy to forget that only a very few places had Concordes going over daily and to the rest of the world - the rest of the country, even - it was a very rare treat.

Plus, Nimrods. I left Cornwall more than twenty years ago and the Nimrods didn't stay much longer after that, but I still miss them doing circuits over the house.

Edited by pigsty
  • Like 1

Yep, Another one that misses Speedbird! angry.png

I live in South East London, on main approach the Heathrow, & now have no reason to look up when a plane flies over, Unless i recognise a military engine or a big helo......

We sometime get what looks like a Rapide go over, but didn't see a single Air Defence aircraft for the Olympics/Paralympics!

Dutch Air Force used to have an base very close by but that closed down a few years ago due to cutbacks. So no more F-16's or the odd visitor they sometimes got. I especially remember a rather well-visited Mini-Tiger-Meet in 1992 with Super Etendards, RAF Phantoms and even an F-111. There was even a rather long period when some German AB got a new runway or something so they temporarily operated their Phantoms from AB Twente. I spent more time in school looking out the windows looking at the double plumes of the Phantoms on approach than paying attention to the teacher. Those where the days.

A few months ago though, a Danish (I think) T-33 had some problems and had to do an emergency landing and Twente was the closest so he landed here (without any ATC). Shame I only read about it in the paper.

Edited by Basosz

Having just spent the last 12 months working on the copperbelt in Zambia, I miss watching the Fish Eagles on the lake next to my office :)

(well they flyey things...)

But seriously, I miss seeing the JU 52 of the SAA Historical flight flying around. Where'd it go...

Steve

Live under the old RAF Binbrook flightpath, 5 miles from the end of the runway. Fantastic days sadly missed. Do you want me to go on? Reminice amongst yourselves.

Viscounts and Ambassadors over my parent's house going to/from Speke.

The drone of Twin Wasps over my house at night in Neston with DC-3's doing the Royal Mail run from Speke.

Finally as Mike said BAe's Mossie from nearby Broughton. I well remember being at school in Liverpool in the early 70's and during a lunchtime it being rolled and looped over our playground for no apparent reason.

I feel old.

Trevor

When I first moved to Brno in the Czech Republic eight years ago I could count on seeing an Mi-17 Hip or Mi-24 Hind flying over the city at least once a month for the first few years I was here.

When I arrived here, both types flew from Prerov; about a year ago the Hinds moved to Namest nad Oslavou. I thought the Hinds moving to Namest would mean that we'd see more of them because they'd be closer to Brno, but the truth is that I haven't seen either type of helicopter fly over the city in ages.

Early 90s we used to get F111's going U/S(knacke'd) at Leuchars. Made me chuckle because it was always on a Friday and the first things out of the transit pod were the golf clubs. F15 don't see them much up our way now.