The mystery of Llanbedr's Midnight Hercules...

F111Fan

Last week, I was staying on Shell Island camp site, next door to what was formerly called RAE Llanbedr, which is in the process of being re-activated. Now, on Wednesday and Thursday night, at quarter to twelve, a Hercules appeared very low - as if on approach to Llanbedr's North-South runway. On the Wednesday night, it flew over at about 100 foot heading South, and then suddenly climbed rapidly away, carrying on to the South. On the Thursday night, it approached heading North, climbed away, circled, approached heading North again and then climbed out again and headed away to the East. I have no idea what on earth it was doing there at this time of night - due to Llanbedr being re-activated, I can only assume it was ILS calibration. Does anyone know more than me? Because it's left me rather mystified....

The question is, was it one of ours, or one of theirs? Uncle Sam has a habit of doing low level night ops in Hercs. All to do with coveret insertions.

That'll be it - a gang of special forces types nipping in on the QT to assassinate the leader of Meibion Glyndwr ...

• Like 1

The question is, was it one of ours, or one of theirs? Uncle Sam has a habit of doing low level night ops in Hercs. All to do with coveret insertions.

Interesting thought... It did fly past the moon (happened to be a full moon) and it didn't look like a unusual model of Herc like an MC-130, although I could very easily be mistaken :) I'm just curious, it's an unusual thing to see for me

No one would do ILS / nav calibration at midnight. Think the CAA would use some contracted light twin-prop for that anyway. Think I've seen photos of them up at BAe / Warton.

Re: the USAF MC-130, some of the MC-130-H noses still do look different, but there are also the MC-130 that were renamed from the HC-130, and there maybe nice new MC-130J by now too.

RAF SF C-130 may not always have that FLIR ? turret underneath, not that you'd be able to see it at night / distance.

In the end, probably just a night training mission, in some nice weather.

Regards,

Gerard

Err........ yes we do ILS calibration at night, usually well after midnight! We also do radar calibration at night, airfield lighting checks and VOR/DME calibration. It is usually easier to do it at night because there are less airliners to bump into.

Always good fun watching the Cobham boys flinging the King Air around, wondering if anyone down the back has filled a party bag.

As far as I know, Llanbedr never had an ILS and re-commisioning such a device is very costly, and I doubt that there is much of a business case for this here.

Bob

Some time ago I used to live very close to RAF Watton. It was a sort of closed (but open) RAF base, still owned and run by the MOD. However, for a "closed" airfield it had rather a lot of movements, especially at night. The noise of multiple Garrets at ground idle is rather distinctive, so there was no doubt as to what aircraft was operating. But what was really strange was that when one of the aircraft took off, you couldn't see it. Even at night you'd normally see something. The mystery was explained to me by a colleague who previously flew them - these were night time excercises flown with lights off and night vision goggles. The more places you visit, the more you experience - but what you don't want are too many surprises - like holes in the ground, dumped cars, people etc. This is why they choose MOD owned and operated sites. As for what they drop off and pick up, it varied - sometimes nothing.

PM

The Yanks, normally F-15E's, do use Llanbedr from time to time as a target. I would'nt be surprised if it was an MC-130 that you saw as they are very regular low level night time visitors to Wales and have been noted carrying out lights off landings at Mildenhall recently. Although after trawling the normal forums for information, I can't find any mention of any Herc's out and about last Wed/Thurs night to confirm who's they were.

It definately had it's lights on, and the flight paths it took on both nights were like circuits for the North-South runway, approaching 18 on Wednesday and 36 on Thursday. I'm merely curious, it's not something I've seen before, that's all :)

Many years ago, while on holiday in Hay-on-Wye I saw a Herc in toned-down markings at low level in one of the valleys. I mentioned this ato the landlord of the place we were staying at, who muttered something about 'special forces' training in the area. Don't know if that might be connected with what you saw?

When we did night jumps the Herk`s usually flew through the Welsh valleys at low level first, but if there were SF exercises in the area I would probably guess that the aircraft was actually dropping troops over the old airfield, static line jumps are usually carried out at around 600-800 feet but the new chutes can open below 300 feet. We used to use Keevil airfield a lot for night drops during exercises on Salisbury Plain and up in Scotland another semi redundant airfield at West Fruegh was used, so maybe Llanbedr has picked up this role for the Wales area?

Just a thought,

All the best

Tony O

• 2 weeks later...

Could it be training for Afghanistan? Perhaps they would prefer night landings so they don't get shot at, and steep take-offs to minimise time close to the ground/small arms fire? Although it might be better to practice at an active field for possible accidents and feedback from ATC...

Just a thought.

I was out lamping rabbits with a friend one night when an MC130 came lumbering past really low, of course I shined the lamp on the side of it (that's how I know what it was). Well he turned round and came back so I shone this big light right up at him again, I do hope the pilots weren't wearing night vision equipment as it was a very powerful lamp!!