Hasegawa/Minicraft 1:32 Boeing Model 281 (P-26 Peashooter) Canton Air Force

Finally decided upon this as its simple (so should be quick and easy), I've built the kit before so know what to expect and it epitomises the transition from Biplane to Monoplane fighters...

p261.jpg

p262.jpg

p263.jpg

Not sure what scheme yet - have both the Minicraft kit decals and the old Microscale sheet.

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Look forward to it Iain - I looked at one of these on eBay a couple of months ago but settled for the Academy one in 1/48. It's tiny in 1/48!

Edited by AndyC

Hmmm...

May end up as a Boeing 281.

Have found images of the company demonstrator NX12771 that looks like it has dark blue fuselage and silver/nat. metal wings/tail - can anyone confirm?

Or - Chinese Nationalist - but can anyone confirm if silver, or grey?

And finally - and current fave - Spanish Civil War machine that saw lots of action (do rules allow for a SCW model?) - but fly in the ointment is that it was fitted with underwing pods for a pair of Vickers .303 machine guns under the wings - but cannot find any photos/drawings confirming size/layiout. Anyone out there have any info?

Iain

The Chinese 281 machines, have an odd history, and changed plumage in mid-career.

The order for ten examples of the 281 was not placed by the Nationalist government of Gen. Chiang Kai-shek at Nanking, but by a rival government (also comprising Nationalist party members) at Canton, which had national pretensions but only provincial control at Kwantung. Boeing would not ship without papers from Nanking, and there was a good deal of delay in consequence. Not long after the delivery of the Boeing monoplanes, the Kwantung air force defected en masse to the Nanking government, flying north in their equipment. They, and their machines, then became part of the central Nationalist Chinese Air Force wielded by the Nanking government (though its men, having changed sides once, were never wholly trusted by Gen. Chiang Kai-shek).

While in Canton service, the 281s were painted over-all light grey, with a large individual number (1 through 10) in black on the fuselage sides, and a red ring around the 'sun' marking on their wings. They were often flown there without the Townsend ring fitted, to improve cooling of the engine.

In Nanking service, they were repainted in the over-all dark olive-green typical of Nationalist aircraft, with the standard Nationalist designator numbers on the side (first places indicating squadron, last places indicating identity within squadron) in white. If recollection serves, the squadron number was 17, and following this, anything from 01 to 10 would be good.

Regarding the Spanish demonstrator, you are pretty much in the twi-light zone. I have seen some extensive discussions of the matter, and there does not seem to be even certainty regarding the color scheme, while no pictures indisputably of the machine in Republican service have yet come to light.

• Like 1

Thanks - that's brilliant! :)

So the Chinese a/c would have looked like this one?

I rather like the idea of doing a Chinese one in grey - without the townend ring - with the red outers on the national markings and a red engine cover... Something just a little different.

Iain (off to hunt for photos)

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

China it is...

OK - the build commences - will be pretty well straight kit with a few tweaks.

Rudder has been removed to be repositioned at a slight angle, cockpit walls thinned and sides sprayed with Alclad polished Aluminium:

IMG_6911.jpg

Engine crankcase coomponents cleaned up and assembled. Wing sections prepped so they fit together nicely - just deciding whether to drop flaps or not - if I do I'll add a little structure to visible areas before joining the wings. Wheel spats assembled - wheels fitted at the end after cutting slots in them:

IMG_6912.jpg

Iain

Thanks - that's brilliant! :)

So the Chinese a/c would have looked like this one?

I rather like the idea of doing a Chinese one in grey - without the townend ring - with the red outers on the national markings and a red engine cover... Something just a little different.

Iain (off to hunt for photos)

Pretty much, Sir, though in that marking it would not have been 17th squadron, Nanking, but 2nd squadron, Canton Air Force. I have no idea where the red front on the motor comes from, either. I have only seen a few photographs of the Canton Boeings that show the front-plate clearly, but in all of them it is pale as the rest of the machine.

If you can, lay hands on the 'In Action mini' of the P-26; it has several good pictures of the Canton Boeings. If you cannot, I will take a whack at scanning the images for you later this week.

Canton service period was fairly short, roughly January 1936 to July, 1936 (the Boeings were not shipped till mid-January, and the air force defection was 18 July 1936).

Edited by Old Man

• 1 month later...

Been a little under the weather with a virus recently - but pretty mended now and catching up!

I have done a little work on the Peashooter as follows:

Detail picked out with oil paint.

IMG_7788.JPG

Cockpit floor/machine guns assembled.

IMG_7789.JPG

Kit seat replaced with a photo-etched one from the spares box.

Instrument panels separated, instrument holes drilled out and thinned to within a few microns of their lives...

IMG_7790.JPG

Cylinders and inlet manifold assembled to engine block...

IMG_7791.JPG

Wheel spats cleaned up.

IMG_7792.JPG

Elevators separated from tailplane - and latters' halves bonded. Hinge sections to be removed from elevators and added to tailplane sections with plastic sheet.

IMG_7793.JPG

Wings assembled and de-seamed:

IMG_7794.JPG

More when there's more :)

Iain

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Erm - having failed miserably once again to complete a GB in the alloted time I have an update on the Peashooter - any chance one of the Mods. can move to a more suitable 'work in progress' section and I'll promise to finish? ;)

Anyhoo - having lost faith in my Revell UHU for now - I give you progress on the P-26 - ready for paint - almost!

IMG_7875.jpg

IMG_7876.jpg

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

<checks there's nobody about>

Shhh - you mean my TOP Secret primer formula - mixed by nubile hand maidens on the island of Balinese plenty?

Sprayed through peacock feathers?

Nah - all boll*cks...

'tis the trusty Halfords grey primer - straight from the spray can (not the plastuic primer - I recon that's a little 'hotter' to bite into ABS car bumpers etc...)

Iain

I'm a huge fan of Halfords primer - and their filler primer - anything that makes the job easier!

It can give a beautifully thin/clean finish straight from the can (never had the same success with other brands/formulations).

Will give it a quick micromeshing before next coat - silver :)

Iain

Note to any friendly mods out there - can this be moved from the GB to the 'in progress' section please? :)

Edited by Iain (32SIG)
  • Like 1

Yup, I use Halford Plastic primer too. Like any other spray though, helps if it's warmed up a little, it can be cold and a bit thick if you grab it out of the garden shed at this time of year. I stick it a pan of warm water for a while before using it if it's been outside.

Hi Doug,

I prefer the standard primer over the plastic primer - I've suspected the 'plastic' primer is a little hotter in order for it to adhere better to ABS car panels such as bumpers?

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)

Been burning the electrons on my graphics programme today and drawn up the decals for the Peashooter - and printed out on the Alps.

If I can get some paint on tomorrow we should now make very rapid progress:

IMG_7886.jpg

Have fun!

Iain

Edited by Iain (32SIG)