Alleycat 1/48 Vampire - Rhodesian Air Force

Can't have too many of these on BM - Brilliant kit ! Treat yourself - you won't be sorry !

Finished off in the colours of the Rhodesian Air Force from the late 70's.

The hardest part of the project was scratch-building the base.

Vampirepf.jpg

Vampirepr.jpg

Vampiresr.jpg

Vampiresf.jpg

and the base...........

Vampirebase.jpg

Hope you like it.

mike

Edited by mitchem
  • Like 2

Many Thanks for the kind comments - much appreciated.

The undersurfaces were eventually painted Dark Earth after it was discovered that the original Sky colour was found to be too reflective. National markings were also removed at the same time in an effort to prevent positive identification of the aircraft in case they crashed during cross-border raids into Mozambique and Zambia.

For some reason or other, the Vampire T.11s retained their Sky undersurfaces and their national markings. As soon as Alley Cat release the T.11 in 1/48 :pray:, I'll be able to show you the difference between the two schemes !

In the mean-time, here's a pic of the undersides of my model :

Vampireu.jpg

It seemed a bit odd to finish a model with no markings at all, so I did add a few warning markings here and there (although they were probably overpainted in all honesty).

Edited by mitchem

Hi Mike, Lovely build and finish, especially the base, somehow just finishes it off. I'm waithing for the Sea Vampire then I'm ready to go! As you say you can never have too many Vampires.

Colin on the Africa station

• 2 weeks later...

Many Thanks for the kind comments - much appreciated.

The undersurfaces were eventually painted Dark Earth after it was discovered that the original Sky colour was found to be too reflective. National markings were also removed at the same time in an effort to prevent positive identification of the aircraft in case they crashed during cross-border raids into Mozambique and Zambia.

For some reason or other, the Vampire T.11s retained their Sky undersurfaces and their national markings. As soon as Alley Cat release the T.11 in 1/48 :pray:, I'll be able to show you the difference between the two schemes !

The undersurfaces of the T.11 was actually silver not sky blue. I built mine with a sky blue underside only to be corrected by a member of the RhAF No2 Sqn. Also the T.11 was the only RhAF aircraft to retain its high gloss finish - see pic below:

.RhAF2sqnVampireT-11SA.jpg

Edited by vulcanxm603