S&M Models 1/144 Vickers Viscount 800

Viscount 800 completed in the colours of Cambrian Airways. Brings back fond memories of journeys from Filton, Bristol to my grandparents' homes in Blagdon, Somerset along the A38 past the then Lulsgate Airport (now Bristol International).

My first attempt at an S&M (name makes me smile) Kit. Decals from TwoSixDecals...(144-177 Cambrian Early Viscount 800 and 144-367 Vickers Viscount detail set).

Kit was a pleasure to build. Decals went on well, reacted positively to Micro Set and Micro Sol.

The door outline decals were all red and needed the addition of white strips from the spares box to show up on the red cheat line.

Lessons learned include: make sure that all panel lines etc are filled/sanded down before applying detail decals such as the detail set; check the dimensions of all decals to avoid eg. overlap on the nose from the cheat line pieces.

Take care.

7913673594_309d7a0a60_b.jpg

Viscount7 by jonbru0903, on Flickr

7913681058_3e129918f0_b.jpg

Viscount5 by jonbru0903, on Flickr

7913693608_330a9d108f_b.jpg

Viscount1 by jonbru0903, on Flickr

7913670566_55cdfb98a5_b.jpg

Viscount8 by jonbru0903, on Flickr

7913677202_dd88a67beb_b.jpg

Viscount6 by jonbru0903, on Flickr

7913691008_01d04f9fa8_b.jpg

Viscount2 by jonbru0903, on Flickr

Edited by jonbru1
  • Like 9

• 2 years later...

Wow! What a surprise to see one of these here. The S&M (snigger...) kit is great value for money and certainly does produce what it says on the box, i.e. a 1/144th scale Viscount and you've done a great job!!

Now this brings back memories though, as I actually flew G-AOYG as a First Officer when she was with British Air Ferries. A quick look through the logbook shows that I completed some line training on her and then flew her when she and I were based in Aberdeen. My first flight on her was on the 20th June 1990, from Southend to Tours in France. The last time I flew her was from Sumburgh to Aberdeen on 25th June 1991. Very fond memories and I can still hear those RR Darts!

Great work indeed. I especially enjoy all the extra decal work you have done on the engines and wings - really makes it pop. That is really fiddly stuff, and although I'm sure it is my lack of patience, I blame less than stellar vision for my never having gone this far - but it sure pays off.

Cheers,

Mike

Excellent !

Can't help loving a Viscount as it was the first plane I ever flew on.

:thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

Me too!!

Belfast to the Isle of Man, British Airways, mid seventies. The short journey was memorable for being my first ever flight and because the plane kept dropping through air pockets, climbing back up only to drop again!! But those big windows...

Love the plane and this model (even if it is slightly "basic").

Jeff