Best modeling magazine?

Paul Wagner

When Airfix launched their magazine, I subscribed because I'd never got a modeling magazine before so I thought why not? And I have enjoyed it, but...

...the time is approaching when I decide whether to sign up for another year or 2, so I was wondering if there might be a better mag out there? I do a bit of everything modelling wise, though WWII aircraft is what I care most about getting right, and the bits I enjoy most are useful refs for my own builds, and news & reviews of new stuff.

Anyone have an opinion on what the best magazine out there is?

Paul

I rather pick and choose at the magazine rack as sometimes some issues are terrific with some bonuses sometimes while others are duller then a butter knife. That way l get the useful issues and save space and money.

I used to subscribe to Tamiya Model Magazine but stopped when the price went up and the page count went down. I can't fault the quality of the builds and photography but to me the cover price does not give value for money.

These days I only buy a model magazine if there is something specific in it that interests me. Regular purchaces being S.A.M. or Airfix Model World.

No one has mentioned Finescale Modeller, I quite like the inclusive feel of it and the writing. Lots of readers contributions, almost the exact opposite of the AMW style. I prefer the magazines like FM or AMW or occasionally Max Modeller (but I haven't seen one of those for a while) with a range of subjects rather than single topics, meaning not just planes or tanks (crudely put!).

:cheers:

Adam

For overall modeling I too prefer Fine Scale Modeler with its wide variety of topics and great tips. I model mostly aircraft and soft-skinned WW II vehicles, but I've picked up great ideas and tips from other subjects that I can apply to my areas on interests.

I currently subscribe to Military Illustrated Modeller and rate it highly for its clear pics and overall clean feel and layout.

I also second Scale modelling Now, plus it does not take up room on my bookshelf!!!!!

I Dont bother with the other mags as I think all have dived in quality. What a shame they never published Replic in English

Bruce

I rather pick and choose at the magazine rack as sometimes some issues are terrific with some bonuses sometimes while others are duller then a butter knife. That way l get the useful issues and save space and money.

Amen to that. AIR Modeller usually has drop-dead builds and reeks of quality...

I also have a good look at Finesale Modeller, its a bit cheaper than other mags, the print quality is good and its an insight into the American scene.

I do not like the pushy sales banners on the cover-how to build/airbrush better etc !