Vimy Trainer (Jaguar) At Abu Sueier, 4 F.T.S. 1/72, Maquette, Ex-Frog FINISHED

Old Man

Great work, especially on the scratchbuilding additions to those engines! I must say I did a double-take at the 1960s-style roundels, but was fascinated to read your justification for using them.... :)

Great work, especially on the scratchbuilding additions to those engines! I must say I did a double-take at the 1960s-style roundels, but was fascinated to read your justification for using them.... :)

Thank you, Sir. The engines were serious fun, and there are still some bits to go on them; there was some mechanism associated with the oil system tacked on the crankcase cover.

Here is an in-flight shot of three Vimys in Egypt, showing the roundel matter clearly:

VimyVicEgypt.jpg

• Like 1

Closing in, Gentlemen.

Upper wing and tail-plane are on....

IMG_3957.jpg

IMG_3962.jpg

IMG_3963.jpg

Outermost interplane struts are from the kit, the cabanes, and the 'X' struts supporting the engine-bearers are scratch-built, as are the engine bearer 'nacelle' assemblies themselves. These are ready to accept the engines. I have done all the structural rigging of the wing assemblies, save for the flight and landing wires of the inner-most bays, which I think it will be best to leave till after the engines and some further bits are added to the 'nacelles'.

Wife has concocted serial number decals for me; thee have been printed out and will dry for several days before sealant is applied.

Control horns, as you can see, did not survive the handling; they will have to be replaced.

But there is really not too much left to do on this, and while I expect it will be under the wire, I do expect to get the thing done by deadline....

• Like 1

Good grief, this thing is a rigging monster and a half! But the work I am seeing is very impressive! Can't wait to see it all done with the engines installed.

Thank you, Sir. I am just popped in for a break after putting in the engines, but I do not expect to get any more pictures up before completion.There is a lot of rigging, but it is not so bad as some. At least the flight wires are not doubled....

Detailing the engines is pretty much complete; one or two small items remain, but the great bulk of the work is done. Four valves are needed on the cylinder heads, with lifters and push-rods.

Here are two 'in progress' pictures, with one engine ready for push-rods and the other still receiving its valves:

IMG_3844.jpg

Here are both motors with push-rods added.

IMG_3860.jpg

Excellent and beautifully neat work Old Man!

I'm really curious, how did you bend the styrene rods to shape (from what is seen on the top pic) without damaging them? Some kind of heat?

It's something I never seem to manage without botching the job.

Edited by Murdo