Bell YFM-1 Airacuda. 1/72 Valom

Jb65rams

I have been looking forward to this GB.

My entry is the Bell YFM-1 Airacuda, a 'fighter cruiser' that first flew in September 1937. Not a success with only 13 production aircraft being built.

Not sure I would have fancied being the gunner sitting in front of the engine. The gunners cockpit reportedly filled with smoke when the 37mm cannon was fired.

A search of youtube produced a short film of the Airacuda in action.

Box02YFM-1Airacuda072Valom.jpg

Parts01YFM-1Airacuda072Valom.jpg

Parts02YFM-1Airacuda072Valom.jpg

Best of luck on this one, Sir. It is an aircraft of very striking appearance. May I suggest foil for the bare metal finish?

I first came upon this aircraft as a kid reading Mr. Seversky's odd 'Victory Through Airpower' tome in our school library. He thought it the precursor of the interceptor fighter of the future....

A good looking a/c but a flawed design...never mind the gunners cockpit filling with smoke - how on earth would they bail out with a bloody great prop behind them? Looking forward to you tackling this one

Not sure about a foil finish, planning to use Alclad.

I have been doing some dry fitting, it doesn't. The engine nacelles to the wings will need a lot of work.

So with a break from convention I decided to start with the nacelles, it being easier to fill & sand before the wings are attached to the fuselage.

Build01YFM-1Airacuda072Valom.jpg

Looks like a good idea to break the usual order here,Sir.

I recommended foil not just because I love the stuff, but because it does not require quite the mirror-level finish the various 'metallizers' seem to.

But whatever finish you choose, I am really looking forward to seeing your further work on this. You are off to a good and thoughtful start.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to a wet weekend I was able to make some progress.

Build08YFM-1Airacuda072Valom.jpg

Build09YFM-1Airacuda072Valom.jpg

Doesn't show up in the photo, but I had to use a lot of filler. Tail planes have been drilled and pinned to strengthen the joint.

Build12YFM-1Airacuda072Valom.jpg

Wings added. Something about this reminds me of Buck Rodgers, from the old B&W TV series.

The undercarriage looks like being a week link, going to look at how I can strengthen them next. Just want a break from filling and sanding.

Wings added. Something about this reminds me of Buck Rodgers, from the old B&W TV series.

Have to a agree! It's great to see it taking shape - a weird and wonderful machine :)

Cliff

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Times running out but I am still hopeful of finishing on time.It sat on the side for a while as I was I needed a rest from filling and sanding.

This weekend I was finally ready to give the NMF ago. I used Alclad Gloss Black Base finished with Polished Aluminium.

Build18YFM-1Airacuda072Valom.jpg

As this was only my second attempt using Alclad I am happy with the finish, the first was an unmitigated disaster.