Sopwith Pup.| Wingnut Wings 1/32. Finished!

Viking

Hi John, Some very interesting work going on here. I love the barely visible roundel and the taped ribs. I think you friend is going to be very happy with the finished product.

Colin on the Afrcia Station

Thanks for the comments guys.

Work is progressing slowly. I've had very little workbench time lately with family & work stuff taking priority. Anyway, I got a few hours this afternoon and got the unercarriage legs on. The wheels are nor finished yet but just push filletd on.

The eagle eyed will notice the missing rudder.Being a chump I knocked it off during all the twisting & turning handling it. I noticed I had the wrong fin on it so took the opportunity to replace it with the correct one & redo its rigging. The rudder is ready to go back on, and I hope to start getting all the decals on soon.

Heres how Mildred is looking now;

Steve23.jpg

Steve24.jpg

Cheers

John

Edited by Viking

Great work John! If you have a look at the profile you'll see that I included the spent ammo chute extension in the drawing. Glad to see I'm not the only one who uses that method of rigging. Looking forward to seeing more! Will you be using the red or just the white drop shadow for the "Mildred H" title? The more I look at the photos the more I'm convinced that there was no red....

Rowan

This is absolutely lovely John, you're making a fantastic job of a beautiful machine. I'm just about to start an Eduard Biff, and I may have to...ahem...appropriate you're underwing technique, imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all that. Quick question, what colour (or mix of colours) do you use for your props? I've been experimenting but I can't seem to get that really rich red brown.

Odd.

This is absolutely lovely John, you're making a fantastic job of a beautiful machine. I'm just about to start an Eduard Biff, and I may have to...ahem...appropriate you're underwing technique, imitation being the sincerest form of flattery and all that. Quick question, what colour (or mix of colours) do you use for your props? I've been experimenting but I can't seem to get that really rich red brown.

Odd.

Hi Oddball,

I mix up burnt sienna, raw umber, and indian red oil paints from the griffin alkyd range in roughly equal quantities. The brush the mix over a Tamiya 'Deck Tan' painted prop. They dry in about 6 hours, unlike most other tube oils.

(PS Do you drive a Sherman :winkgrin: Love that film!)

Great work John! If you have a look at the profile you'll see that I included the spent ammo chute extension in the drawing. Glad to see I'm not the only one who uses that method of rigging. Looking forward to seeing more! Will you be using the red or just the white drop shadow for the "Mildred H" title? The more I look at the photos the more I'm convinced that there was no red....

Rowan

Hi Rowan,

Now you mention it, I did read that in your instructions, then forgot it as the weeks passed during the build. :bangin: Still, I'm glad I picked up on it again. Steve, who this is being built for also told me that he felt the white drop shadow 'Mildred' was the way to go, and I'm happy to do that as it looks like that to me also! Its reassuring that 3 of us are in agreement, especially with your own expertise in analysing old black and white photos.

I hope to get the rest of the decals on this weekend, I was very pleased with how easily those ones went on the wheels, they are perfect!.

Cheers

John

Thanks again for the comments guys. We are on the home straight now. Decals are all on, I applied them slowly and they've all settled down nicely and performed very well. The rudder & wheel covers are not fixed on yet but all the rigging is complete. I just need to fix the crash pad on the vickers gun and tone it all together with a coat of varnish. Hers how Mildred looks now;

Steve25.jpg

Steve26.jpg

Steve27.jpg

Steve28.jpg

Someones been running the engine!

Steve29.jpg

Cheers

John

[Edit for idiotic spelling]

Edited by Viking
  • Like 1

John,

Lovely work, I am sure that Steve will be more than pleased with the finished Pup.

Have you seen the post over on the Plane Talking forum over at the 'H' site of the TVAL Sopwith Pup replica in NZ? Has some good detail photos, including of the oil and exhaust staining patterns on the underside of the aircraft after flight.

Once again, brilliant piece of modelling work there.

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

Mildred is finished now, I'll put some more photos on RFI later.

The last couple of weeks I spent making a base for her from scraps of MDF & stuff I had in the garage. I also made a an stand for the second engine. It's purely a guess as to what might have been knocked up at squadron level, and is made from the sprues the kit came on. I've done it in a 'Japanned' black finish, and think that it at least gives someting to put the engine on for display. It just push fits in and can be removed.

Steve34-1.jpg?t=1352056576

Steve35-2.jpg?t=1352057930

Overall view;

Steve35-1.jpg?t=1352056577

Just got to hand her over now!

Cheers

John