Sopwith Pup.| Wingnut Wings 1/32. Finished!

Viking

I just love Wingnut Wings kits, they are so beautifully engineered and represent great WW1 Subjects. I am keenly awaiting their release of the Fokker D.VII, but in the meantime have started on a Sopwith Pup for a friend.

I tend to remove from the sprues all the parts that require a wood effect, and deal with them all together. Base paint in Tamiya Buff, followed later with a streaked coat of Griffin Alkyd oil paints (Raw Sienna, Burnt Umber, and Indian red) mixed in various proportions to give different wood colours.

I'm doing 2 engines here, one for fitting in the aircraft and one for static display alongside. Paint is alclad with Revell Copper.

All parts are ready for assembly to start, but here is where we are at now;

Steve1.jpg

The Wingnuts instrument panels are fantastic, you can actually read the dials

Steve3.jpg

And it isn't that big;

Steve4.jpg

Fuselage halves are ready to go as well, just got to assemble the interior first.

Steve5.jpg

Markings will be 'Mildred H' from the superb Pheon Decals sheet http://www.britmodel...showtopic=45706. Got a bit of work to do before we get to that stage though!

Cheers

John

Edited by Viking

Great start. I like the nice rich brown you've used on the props. I think I'll aim for that on my Dolphin.

Those Wingnut Wings kits look very good- and their online instructions are an excellent reference source.

Edited by Quentin

A bit more progress, mainly painting the Clear Doped Linen areas.

Rather that leave them 'plain' I like to try and to create something of the translucent effect. Basic colour is Citadel 'Bleached bone' sprayed on.

When this is dry I mark out all rib and spar areas with Tamiya tape cut to 1mm strips. I am also going to try and represent a trace of the upper wing roundels just showing through as they might in bright light from above. A compass cutter is used to create the masking.

Steve9.jpg

A shadow effect is airbrushed on using Tamiya 'Smoke' paint. I rather like the effect.

Steve10.jpg

The roundel should just be visible;

Steve11.jpg

Fuselage is zipped up and the upper & lower seams cleaned up. Lower wing is now on, next step will be to prime and paint the fuselage & wing/tail upper surfaces.

Steve12.jpg

Steve13.jpg

Cheers

John

Edited by Viking
  • Like 2

That's a great start! I started one of these while I was waiting for the camel to arrive, it's certainly a very nice kit (but I'm trying my best to avoid making any more for now!). Excellent paintwork on the wings, subtle but still noticable.

• 2 weeks later...

I started one of these while I was waiting for the camel to arrive...

What a difference in interpretation one capital letter (or lack thereof) makes! Not criticizing, just sharing my amusing (to me) momentary mis-reading of this comment...

Yep, I'm with the masses on this one- fantastic job in general, but especially that linen wing. Hmm, got me a Pup upstairs....

bob

A bit more progress, mainly painting the Clear Doped Linen areas.

Rather that leave them 'plain' I like to try and to create something of the translucent effect.

The roundel should just be visible;

Steve11.jpg

Cheers

John

Hello John, both inspired and inspirational work. You have managed the see-through effect effortlessly. What a triumph. :goodjob:

In fact, everything about your model is superb. I greatly admire the crispness of your work. Lovely stuff. Now I'm eager to see more.

:pilot:

Edited by geedubelyer

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the kind comments folks, it is much appreciated.

I've had a few busy weeks and not got much done, but this weekend has been free :yahoo:

I noticed in 'Cross & Cockade' Vol 43/2 there is a picture of Milderd, showing a quite substantial ejector chute on the gun. This isn't in the kit, so I fabricated one;

Steve17.jpg

Stuts all in place ready to accept the top wing. All the rigging is fixed in place at its lower ends, ready to pull through pre drilled holes in the top wing.

Steve18.jpg

Wing on, lines pulled through (Maxima chameleon 2.5 lb fishing line) and secured with cyano;

Steve19.jpg

Lines trimmed off, a spot of milliput put over ecah to fill any holes. When set it will be sanded down and trhe areas where the lines emerge made good.

Steve20.jpg

A coat of primer, then the top wing is sprayed with PC10

Steve21.jpg

All the ailerons were drilled and pinned with fine brass wire to strengthen the joints, they went on between finishing the rigging and painting the top wing.

Steve22.jpg

It's getting there!

John