Stand by for Action, we are about to launch Stingray!

Mind you there is an excellent joke about Fireball XL5 in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier graphic Novel by Alan Moore...

Indeed. Each spacecraft in the XL series is named for the fate of the previous one. So there was the Mushroom Cloud XL2, followed by the Shrapnel XL3. The book's protagonists travel aboard the Pancake XL4...

Another great result Kallisti, to go with your Firefly that I enjoyed so much last year :)

On the subject of other Anderson kits, I'm sure I remember a friend of mine having a Fireball XL-5 (with detachable front section) - I think it was a kit, probably mid 60s?

Cheers

Cliff

Another great result Kallisti, to go with your Firefly that I enjoyed so much last year :)

On the subject of other Anderson kits, I'm sure I remember a friend of mine having a Fireball XL-5 (with detachable front section) - I think it was a kit, probably mid 60s?

Cheers

Cliff

Fireball XL5 and Stingray kits were made by a company called Kitmaster(They made model railway rollingstock kits) for an ice cream company(Lyons made?) promotion.

Also the Angel Interceptor was no the only Jerry Anderson kit Airfix did, they also did the Space 1999 Eagle and Hawk.

Fireball XL5 and Stingray kits were made by a company called Kitmaster(They made model railway rollingstock kits) for an ice cream company(Lyons made?) promotion.

Also the Angel Interceptor was no the only Jerry Anderson kit Airfix did, they also did the Space 1999 Eagle and Hawk.

Thats right. I remember the Eagle. It was a really nice kit.

I'd forgotten about those, probably because the show was so awful. Nice kits though.

There was a company called ENA a few years ago that made studio-scale prop replica kits in resin, fibreglass, etc........

I bought a 24" 'Supercar' (remember that one???) and a 22" FAB 1.

The kits were a nightmare to build but the finished articles were HUGE, and looked awesome. Like a total FOOL I sold them on Ebay about 5 years ago when I needed some money.

I think I got around £200 each for them. Now, they fetch nearer £600, but I wouldn't sell them anyway.

EMA also did a 48" Fireball XL5, a 36" Thunderbird 3 and 36" TB2 kit.

Just imagine a three-foot Thunderbird 2!!!

I'm pretty sure they did a huge Stingray and TB1 too but I don't remember the sizes.

Have a peep here:

http://www.aiai.ed.a...miniatures.html

I wonder if any of those kits are still about???

BTW..... Love your Stingray!!!

Roy.

Edited by roymattblack

As for the decals - well there hangs a tail. I had bought some clear decal film for colour laser printers, but then the company I work for got taken over by a big software company whose name begins with "O" and they moved us into their offices and got rid of all out lovely colour laser printers!!! So now I have to use my own inkjet printer on the appropriate decal paper. Problem here seems to be the ink used by HP will run at the slightest touch of the liquid decal film, so today I have used up about half a sheet of decal film trying to get two "Stingray" decals where the ink has run, smudged or simply dropped off!

For what it's worth, I print my decals on an HP printer (F4280), and I've had excellent luck with Testors Decal Bonder spray as a sealer coat.

Excellent, excellent work on the Stingray. Brings back fond memories.

Cheers

This just makes me smile. Fantastic job. "Anything can happen in the next half hour" Dur de dur, dur dur....Stingray, Stingray de de dur de dur dur....

I would say its more dun der dun dun dun der dun dun a fast beat emphasing action. :winkgrin:

Great job by the way :goodjob:

Edited by eagle

The problem I had with the decals was the application of the sealant rather than the sealant itself - using a brush was the limiting factor. I'd rather have used a spray. Sadly it appears that Testors Decal Bonder spray is not available in the UK and the US distributors won't send it abroad :(

Thanks for the compliments as always :)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks Pat, its one of my favourite models and always gets great reaction at shows. Sadly wear and tear of transporting it has resulted in the lighting no longer working - I suspect the socket inside the body has got a bad connection, but there is no way to get into it to repair. Never mind, the lighting on the Starfury still works :D

I've now picked up another kit to build as my Girlfriend's little boy will soon be old enough to appreciate my Stingray DVDs and I KNOW he'll want something to play with so I have another kit to make a "toy" version for him :D