Mongoose Double "A" Top Fuel Dragster

Belle

Hi Everyone,

I have built many vehicles and aircraft, although this is my first Dragster ever, I was not sure if I was going to have time to start the build in August like I thought and sure enough, I was able to start mid August at least with the engine so I was very pleased with that. I probably will have to find time throughout September to continue the build and I hope I will have more time in mid November to finish the build just as long as my work does not hamper my progress. I have always liked racing, especially F1, NASCAR and V8 racing. So, I decided to take the plunge and finally start a Dragster. There are many wonderful modellers on this site so i hope to learn many more things from you. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for looking.

Regards,

Belle

d27d1710_zpsb9f7d0a3.jpg

3e60f6a4_zpsca290f99.jpg

I started taking photos of the box and the components of the kit as this is the first time that I have ever posted my progress on any site, including Britmodeller.

I am using a simple digital camera so I hope everyone will be able to see the photos alright. Any tips appreciated.

Here are half of the components of the kit consisting of the driver, parachute, part of the engine and the dragster exterior shell (unpainted ) in two parts

9c705b66_zps2277c26b.jpg

Here is the other half of the components of the kit consisting of the other parts of the engine, mag wheels, axles and steering wheel.

ca5b3890_zpsefb77ff9.jpg

Here is a close up of the engine on the box

7271f46b_zps87d2e578.jpg

Here are all the parts of the engine that I hand painted separately

e74ee075_zps67f4e202.jpg

The engine came together great with plastic cement glue.

bbe94ac3_zpsc7292e17.jpg

Unfortunately, the black gloss paint ran and I had to scrape it off of the pulley wheels. See above.

Finally after weeks of waiting for the paint to arrive through the mail from the UK, I started applying the coats to the exterior of the dragster. The paint appeared to be applying well and I decided to continue on with the process. Soon after, the paint seemed sticky and stringy, most of it appeared to be fine, so I decided to continue with painting. I even thinned the paint as it started to apply much better. Although, after applying the coats, the surface seemed crusty, bubbly and when I set it aside to dry for two days, the final end result was a disaster. I should have thrown it away, although I had been searching for this specific brand in gloss colors for months with no luck whatsoever in finding the mix. I even decided to search for the specific colors while visiting family and friends in Melbourne Australia in June and even with their wonderful hobby shops was not able to locate the brand and colors that I wanted.

I was so irritated, frustrated and sad all at the same time, that I needed assistance with removing that miserable paint,

so I e-mailed members Plasticbutcher and Arniec for their assistance. Thank you guys.

Miserable caked, crusty and bubbly paint.

b676734e_zps99760e5e.jpg

This is the side near the back of the dragster with the scaly bubbly

crusted paint. Really miserable.

bd1bbda1_zps14ed3411.jpg

Because of the paint being overheated and stringy, it was also extremely messy which made it even more difficult to remove from the exterior of the dragster. I tried

everything to remove the paint. I was able to obtain some more advice from Plasticbutcher, a master with models and painting. He suggested for me to soak the parts in

brake fluid overnight, wash off the exterior and start again. I started to take his advice, although in the midst of trying to get to the auto store, I started thinking about

where I was going to recycle the fluid once I was finished. Since I could not think of a place that was environmentally safe, I decided to use low grade sand paper. And being a bit

of a rebel, I decided to take things into my own hands as it seemed and press onward with removing this miserable crusty bubbly paint. The sandpaper looked like

it was doing the trick then in the middle of the deed, the exterior was scratched and the markings had disappeared completely from the molding. I was forced

to order another kit online.

Good news, the new kit arrived three days ago, I started fresh again yesterday with the exterior of the Dragster. What a beauty, at least so far,

no bubbles, no chipping and nothing but a good fresh white shine... I am pleased!!

I first used a white primer and let dry. Then I sprayed it with white gloss waiting about three hours between the coats and in two days she

should be dry and ready to use Tamiya mask and then I will start to apply the next color ...

6b3c2280_zpsce8408b6.jpg

I masked the white gloss parts of the dragster today

IMG_1560_zps681a1ddd.jpg

Then I sprayed painted the dragster blue gloss...the blue gloss is not exactly the color that I wanted...although it was close to the color paint that was recommended for the model.

This photo doesn't do the color and shine justice. Poor lighting with a poor camera...

IMG_1562_zps77443721.jpg

Now, I am just letting it dry for a couple of days before peeling off the Tamiya tape from the white gloss. I started on the driver yesterday and painted the accessories. After the dragster exterior is ready, I will proceed with gluing the driver together and starting the placement of the components of the engine into the model. Although, because of my work schedule, it may not be until early October before I can actually start the assembly. Although, glad that I started the 2nd color and now on my way to about 1/3 way finished.

Here are the unpainted components to the driver

IMG_1545_zpscc191733.jpg

Here is the painted components of the driver...soon I will be cementing them together.

IMG_1548_zpsdd387a1a.jpg

I am signing off for now.

Cheers,

Belle ( Karen )

Edited by Belle
  • Like 2

Well done so far, it just takes practice and patience, You'll get there. :-)

And also thank you so much for your encouraging words. I really appreciate it.

Edited by Mike
  • Like 1

Hi Karen:

Sorry for the trouble you had but things like that make all of us learn how to manage all, thank you very much for being so brave to post about it. About the brake fluid, when I have had bad experiences like that, I applied the BF to the pieces with a paint brush as normal paint and let the pieces dry in a plastic or metallic tray and when the paint start to make flakes i washed the pieces to scrap all the paint.

Cheers and go for this one!!!

• Like 1

- May be am I a bit late but if this can help why not?

-To remove old or wrong paint on plastic parts, I use the white foam in canister used to clean our kitchen oven, in this country we call this "decap' four". Put the part you want clean in a plastic bag,soaked it with that foam and let aside for some hours you then washed it in clear water and the part looks as if it had never been painted,you can try again if you are not satisfied with the result, it does not affect clear parts .It works with enamel paint, I didn't try this with acrylics ( they are easier to remove with thinners)

Edited by IPMS19
  • Like 2

-To remove old or wrong paint on plastic parts, I use the white foam in canister used to clean our kitchen oven, in this country we call this "decap' four". Put the part you want clean in a plastic bag,soaked it with that foam and let aside for some hours you then washed it in clear water and the part looks as if it had never been painted,you can try again if you are not satisfied with the result, it does not affect clear parts .It works with enamel paint, I didn't try this with acrylics ( they are easier to remove with thinners)

Hi Friend:

This tip sounds very good!!! here we have used "Easy Off" Oven cleaner in liquid/brush form, but the product you say sounds more practical and safer to use.

I'll take note about your tip and will look for this one here in this side of The Pond, it would be nice to have another alternative in case it will be needed. Thank you very much for sharing.

Cheers from Guatemala to your lovely France!!!,

• Like 2

Hi Friends:

(One Good) I have "made contact" via interent with the Décap Four product, I found is made by Henkel.

(One Bad) It seems those news are good only for European countries, as all the references and adds are

from France. :(

So, let me look about the product here, maybe as an import someone brings us those nice solution to many troubles, as this has application even to the car and motorcycle's engine cleaning. If I find it, many friends of mine would be more than happy.

Cheers,

• Like 1

Sorry for the late quotes on responses. I have been having issues with PC router speeds to respond to posts.

Seems to be resolved now.

Thank you guys for all of your tips and helpful hints. I so much appreciate it.

Karen

Edited by Belle

I'll agree that brake fluid can be used to strip paint when required. As for disposal of it get cat litter and a tray then let the cat litter absorb the fluid and dispose of it in trash when it is fully dried.

Hi Mike,

You are so thoughtful to give suggestions to assist me with this task. Thank you so very much.

Karen

Edited by Belle

Hi Friends:

(One Good) I have "made contact" via interent with the Décap Four product, I found is made by Henkel.

(One Bad) It seems those news are good only for European countries, as all the references and adds are

from France. :(

So, let me look about the product here, maybe as an import someone brings us those nice solution to many troubles, as this has application even to the car and motorcycle's engine cleaning. If I find it, many friends of mine would be more than happy.

Cheers,

That is really useful information. Thank you for sharing Luis.

Karen

Hi Karen:

Sorry for the trouble you had but things like that make all of us learn how to manage all, thank you very much for being so brave to post about it. About the brake fluid, when I have had bad experiences like that, I applied the BF to the pieces with a paint brush as normal paint and let the pieces dry in a plastic or metallic tray and when the paint start to make flakes i washed the pieces to scrap all the paint.

Cheers and go for this one!!!

Hey Luis,

Great idea to brush on the brake fluid on individual parts. Frustration arose immediately from using overheated paint from the UK.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Karen

Sir, your tips are also appreciated. I never thought of using that product and technique for this purpose.

Thank you,

Karen

• Like 1

Did the Mongoose and Snake funny cars back in my youth.

Do have the Hot Wheels of the dragsters and the funny cars still.

Great to hear, I would like to do another Mongoose next year. Although, after I finish this project, I plan on starting my next military aircraft. Not sure which one yet though.

Belle

Good luck with your project Karen and happy modelling....

All the best,

Brian.

Thank you Brian for your encouragement. I masked the dragster today and sprayed it with blue gloss. Looks great !

Now, I just need to allow it to dry for a couple of days, without peeking at it. That's going to be hard to resist.

Take Care,

Karen

Hope the peeking doesn't disappoint!

High winds, Floods, Rain, what more can you ask for on a Tuesday morning...

All the best

Brian

Hey Brian,

It should be fine. I did just peek at the top of the model for a quick sec...but I am really intrigued about

what it looks like under the mask, hopefully the white lines are straight....so I guess I will have to wait to see.

What season are you currently in Autumn or Spring? Have a fabulous day.

Nice chatting with you.

Karen