New Viggen in 1/48th: Has this been mentioned before?

Mark

Did the splinter scheme on the Matchbox kit. Nearly killed me with eyestrain! Must admit it looked good though. Hope the price isn't too high for me to get them all.

Paul Harrison

• 2 months later...

Pretty please times 3 with cherry on top!! -- PLEASE include masks for that infuriating but lovely splinter camouflage!! I really DON'T mind paying a bit extra - it'll save my sanity!!!

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

When the Viggen is released, I will add a list of ALL 149 JA 37 individuals and a reference gallery to the Tarangus website (which already contains a reference gallery for the Lansens). About half of the fighter Viggens had splinter camo and the remainder had grey camo. However, some individuals received trial camouflage during the 80's and some of them kept that paint scheme until scrapping (for instance 37328, F16-68, called "White Lady", painted in very light grey overall).

I hope this will be appreciated!

• Like 1

It will be appreciated by me!!! :mike: as a mainly AFV model maker who builds the occasional aircraft it will help me a great deal. I think I have the next couple of aircraft kits to buy decided.

If you ever consider getting into land vehicles the Bv coupled tractors would be awesome....or a decent S tank in 48th to match the Viggen of course!! :pig:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

New CAD drawings from this future kit were just released.
Source: http://www.themodellingnews.com/2013/08/attention-viggen-lovers-we-have-latest.html

Tarangus was founded in 2009 by Fredrik Zetterberg, a sales professional with a modelling and aviation passion, and Max Nykvist, founder and owner of Rebell Hobby and Maestro Models. Tarangus is focused on subjects with a history in the Swedish Air Force. The first kit released was the Saab A 32A Lansen in 1/48 scale. Tarangus kits can now be found in hobby shops worldwide. Tarangus also has an active community on Facebook and a website which not only covers the kits, but also accessories to the kits from other manufacturers. There are also reference galleries and updated instructions. Tarangus aims at being the number one choice for modellers worldwide who are interested in Swedish subjects

As previously announced, Tarangus will release a new mould Saab Viggen in 1/48 scale in late September. This is the third 1/48 kit from Tarangus and the fourth overall. This is the first time that Tarangus will release a kit using only metal moulds.

Metal moulds allow much larger series and even further improved detail, says Fredrik Zetterberg of Tarangus. The Viggen is truly a kit which only deserves the best mould technology. It's such a complex and complicated aircraft!

Max Nykvist - the other half of Tarangus has said that their previous kits have been very well received, and because Swedish subjects have been quite rare there is a huge interest in the Swedish Air Force and especially the Saab aircraft.

The first version to be released is the fighter, the Saab JA 37 Viggen.
Tarangus will, together with our partner MPM, release all versions of the Viggen. Tarangus will first release the JA 37 fighter version and then MPM will release their versions sometime next year, says Max Nykvist. Then we will release our last versions, the reconnaissance SH/SF 37 Viggen.

The markings for the first versions of the Viggen will be one grey aircraft, one in natural metal finish and one in the famous splinter camouflage.

TA4803_cockpit.jpg

TA4803_08.jpg

TA4803_01.jpg

TA4803_07.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

Yep......It's going to be a long wait for this new Viggen....hopefully worth it.

Another on my list of major 'wants' having spent some time on exercise with the Swedish AF in the mid-1990s and seeing these big jets thundering down the local highways (we were on a so-called deployed warbase) no more than 30 feet from where I was standing.....v. impressive (and noisy !). The Viggen was also one of the major highlights of our local airshow here in Stavanger last year although its 'partner' from the Swedish Historic Flight, the Hawker Hunter, produced one of the best aerial demonstrations I have ever seen by this other classic jet fighter.....

bring it on........!

Mark

Yep......It's going to be a long wait for this new Viggen....hopefully worth it.

Another on my list of major 'wants' having spent some time on exercise with the Swedish AF in the mid-1990s and seeing these big jets thundering down the local highways (we were on a so-called deployed warbase) no more than 30 feet from where I was standing.....v. impressive (and noisy !). The Viggen was also one of the major highlights of our local airshow here in Stavanger last year although its 'partner' from the Swedish Historic Flight, the Hawker Hunter, produced one of the best aerial demonstrations I have ever seen by this other classic jet fighter.....

bring it on........!

Mark

The Viggen will be at Leuchars next week!! A real treat. Unfortunately the Swedish Hunter is no longer attending but, there will be T7 instead! :wow:

The Viggen will be at Leuchars next week!! A real treat. Unfortunately the Swedish Hunter is no longer attending but, there will be T7 instead! :wow:

Got the offer of last-minute tickets but have to work that weekend :weep: Never seen a Viggen up close or in flight.

Got the offer of last-minute tickets but have to work that weekend :weep: Never seen a Viggen up close or in flight.

do so!

Viggen in flight is real beast! saw the JA-37 version years ago, and it is really a brute power thing! I espesially liked the thrust reverser action an the ground and the second take off in the other direction than landing just before. I am a bit jealous now :)

and definitely going to bay a kit when it comes out!

do so!

Viggen in flight is real beast! saw the JA-37 version years ago, and it is really a brute power thing! I espesially liked the thrust reverser action an the ground and the second take off in the other direction than landing just before. I am a bit jealous now :)

and definitely going to buy a kit when it comes out!

Edited by exdraken

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tarangus Models newsletter:

Further delays to the Viggen!

As we were readying our warehouse for the delivery of the Viggen, our supplier announced that further delays would be inevitable.. The reason being that the mould will be made more flexible, for future versions and this would in turn require additional design work.

We are now keeping our fingers crossed for a delivery in January. As soon as we have test shots or more info, we will let you know!

V.P.