Fouga Magister - An Irish Perspective

maxdecal

Press Release

New Book: Fouga Magister - An Irish Perspective by Joe Maxwell & Radu Brinzan details the history of the Fouga Magister in Irish Air Corps Service from 1975 until 1997.

Fouga Magister- An Irish Perspective provides a highly detailed account of this iconic French built jet trainer in Irish Air Corps service. Starting with the development of the Fouga Magister as a light jet trainer for France and other NATO countries, the book goes on to describe the attack on Irish troops serving with UN forces in the Congo in 1961 by one of these aircraft flown by a Belgian mercenary in the Katangan Air Force. This was the first time that Irish troops had ever come under air attack. The later, and somewhat ironic, purchase by the Air Corps of two of the Fougas that had originally been destined for Katanga together with four others that had seen service with the Austrian Air Force “Silver Birds” Aerobatic Display Team is also covered.

Further chapters describe what it was like to fly and maintain the Fouga. The history of the Irish Air Corps Silver Swallows Aerobatic Display team is covered in some depth. The Silver Swallows became famous internationally when they were awarded the prestigious Lockheed Martin Cannestra trophy for the best display by an overseas team at the Royal International Air Tattoo at Fairford in 1997. This was an incredible achievement for a small team of instructor pilots who had to fit in practice for their routine in the evenings and at weekends.

“ Initially we set out to produce a straightforward technical description and walk-around of this elegant aircraft that would satisfy the scale modeller. However, as the research trail lead us to unearth almost forgotten facts about this intriguing aircraft in an Irish context we just had to expand it into a more comprehensive volume which we hope will satisfy the needs of the aviation enthusiast/historian as well” said Joe Maxwell, one of the authors. Joe has teamed up with another well known aviation author, Radu Brinzan to produce this volume.

Although the authors have concentrated mainly on the Irish use of the Fouga, the technical description alone should ensure that this book finds a wider international audience amongst those interested in the Fouga Magister. Granted unparalleled access to three surviving airframes, the authors have included what are considered to be the most accurate scale drawings of the Fouga ever produced in both 1/72 and 1/48 scale. Comprehensively illustrated with over 160 photos, 25 drawings and three tables packed into 108 pages, the authors have produced what must be the definitive English language guide to the Fouga Magister.

Fouga Magister – An Irish Perspective goes on sale from September 7th. Price €22.

ISBN 978-0-9562624-1-7

For further information contact Joe Maxwell at [email protected]

See http://www.maxdecals...booksample.html for sample pages.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was fortunate to be invited to Casement Aerodrome yesterday for the launch of this book. I picked up a copy of this book and given today's poor weather here in Galway and having a day off work, I decided to get stuck into this volume. As with the previous Max Decals book covering the history of the Irish Air Corps, this book is well-researched and beautifully illustrated, this time by Radu Brinzan. The history of the design of Fouga Magister is covered as is the attack on Irish troops on UN duty in the Congo by a Katangan Fouga (a particularly interesting chapter). As always, the selection process of any aircraft for service with any air arm is a fascinating topic to read about. The other aircraft considered for purchase are covered and there are even colour side-views of two aircraft (in speculative Irish schemes) that were considered for Irish service. The Fouga in Irish Air Corps service from start to finish is covered with the chapter on the Silver Swallows display team being of particular interest. Another chapter captures the technical details of the Fouga and the book is illustrated with many photos and numerous colour side-views of the Fouga including those from Katanga, Austria as well as Ireland. A set of 1/50th scale drawings in colour are included along with a full set of 1/72 and 1/48th scale drawings. Overall, another fine book from Max Decals and one that I really enjoyed reading. This book is enough to make me want to build a model of a Fouga! Hopefully, this isn't the last book from Joe Maxwell on the Irish Air Corps and its aircraft.

BM.

Edited by Blue Monday

Christmas has come early...

It would be a simple statement of fact to say that each and every modeller is different. We all have our own wants with regards to our preferred modeling subjects and It is no secret that my own special interest is the aircraft of the Irish Air Corps. Being such a small force from a small nation the range of aircraft in service over the years is both limited and in some cases slightly eclectic.

A few years back I posted an article on a masterful tome on the history of the IAC by the author Joe Maxwell.That book was, and still is, the first point of reference for anyone wishing to embark on building any aircraft of the IAC. Well This new book concentrating on one of the IAC's best loved aircraft the Fouga CM-170 'Magister' is Excellant. Congratulations to both Joe and Radu for this, the articles are very comprehensive and the images and artwork just fantastic.

I think it would be fair to say that this plane is to the IAC what the Spitfire is to the RAF when it comes to affection. It is the aircraft of my youth and while I have come to know the full extent and history of all the aircraft flown by the IAC this aircraft is by far and away my favorite. For any modeller of IAC subjects this aircraft is a must have in their collection

To date any model kits of the CM-170 are limited to either the old Airfix/Heller 1/72nd kit (molded in a nice fetching shade of blue) or for those who wish to build in larger scales the 1/48 Fonderie Miniature multi media kit. (there is a CM-175 Zeypher available but would need substantial modifcations)

I have in my 'special reserve' stash an FM 1/48 CM-170 kit which I had entend to build as No.220 Silver Swallow from the 1997 final season but now having seen the shot of No.220 in the air fully armed with two MATRA F2 rocket pods and two 7.62mm AA-51 machine guns mounted in the nose (something I was not aware of) I am in two minds... decisions, decisions...

I can fully reccomend this book to anyone looking at building this aircraft or indeed to anyone looking for something different.

Edited by Séan Pádraig

• 3 weeks later...

Even for those not interested in the IAC this book is a stunning bit of work fantastically done & very informative. Having seen these a/c from their delivery, in hangar 5 to(little did i know when my dad showed us around Id end up working there too) & their final flypast @ Gormanston this book really is the authorative account of the Fouga in Irish service. I got my copy @ the Irish IPMS nationals in Shannon it was the highlight of that day to be honest. Well done Joe & Radu.

now how about that Aer LIngus sheet!!! please please please lol

• 1 month later...

picked up mine today in marks models on hawkins street,excllent book.as it turns out i personally know 2 of the pilots who flew with the silver swallows during the1989 display season,lt john kelly in the no 2 aircraft and captain kevin barry in the number 1 / team leader aircraft.when i got home i went straight onto the web and ordered myself another fouga kit seeing as i have decals for it [and an aloutte 111 which the air corps also flew as i have decals for that too].also heard from the lads in marks that joe might be doing another book on the iac aloutte 111,another reason for ordering the kit.for anyone who is on the fence about getting this book,come down from the fence and get yourself a copy,you WONT be dissapionted

• 1 year later...

Instead of a birthday present I picked this up as an Christmas one to my self.

I can only say its a great book, admittedly I am a magister fan, and a Silver Swallows fan but this is a great book.

Joe has this on sale at the moment so a no brainer if you want one.

Now only EURO 22.50 to anywhere in Europe: http://www.maxdecals.com/Maxdecalsshop.html

Julien