Routemaster LT Country Area

Hi All,

This is my first post. I’ve returned to modelling after a break of 12 years, having previously built civil and military aircraft. I have had a lifelong interest in buses, having spent much time travelling on routes around the country. The Revell release inspired me to attempt a build of Routemaster RML 2414. The model in question was delivered in March 1966 to Hemel Hempstead bus garage, to be used on route 347. I have not seen a build of this particular type on Britmodeller so thought it would be an interesting subject. It will be depicted as factory fresh, with no adverts applied, to best show the Lincoln green livery.

Hopefully, more to follow later...................................

Engine construction

f967abd3.jpg

4e723e37.jpg

Drivers Cab - note the dolly wheels to protect components during construction

f0911d64.jpg

3f07b997.jpg

365ba655.jpg

60d4e885.jpg

b6836107.jpg

Floor area & bulkhead

930fc292.jpg

780e46d9.jpg

Grille & destination display - grille made from Aber mesh, and destination blinds from custom made decals

22aa7a92.jpg

16323c07.jpg

Seat construction a massive task - almost like a production line. Seat cloth made from custom made decals to '60s era patterns. Seatback panels were mounted on back of seat using plasticard to produce the correct curvature.

bda282c5.jpg

6749ed86.jpg

73879e3a.jpg

b0646291.jpg

30b3dddf.jpg

44b4c169.jpg

48ba391c.jpg

351cd227.jpg

• Like 1

Oh yea! 347 went to/from Uxbridge -my home town back then, so this will bring back a few memories...

Magnificent work so far; the seats look shockingly real! :goodjob:

Excellent! Love seeing all this variants on the Revell kit. Keep up the good work. Hope you like like my Trolleybus build. I have plenty to do still. I just love what you can do with the Revell kit. Check out Plasticganster's cool ideas too.

David

• 2 weeks later...

hi all, thank you for your kind comments it is very encouraging, this build has been very enjoyable so far,it is basically oob with a few simple enhancements here and there, bringing back youthful memories of travelling around the london transport network on rover tickets visitng as many garages as possible,wonderful days, oh to go back!

• 1 month later...

This realy is turning out to be a first class model.I have followed this for real and the photos don't reflect the acuracy.The mesh for the grill is perfect,i have used it for mine, i recomend it.As a one time driver of this vehicle on the 347 in the 70's i await the finish with great exitement.I must say the seats are the best i've seen yet!If anyone is doing custom decals for this kit please let me know.I'm trying to finish mine as a 335 Garston to Windsor circa 1966.very well done!!

I'm trying to finish mine as a 335 Garston to Windsor circa 1966.

I remember that one too -dipped into South Bucks on its way to Berkshire, didn't it? Detoured through Fulmer and Wexham Park to Slough, while the 353 went crow-straight down the Windsor Road...

Never mind 'Don't Feed The Trolls', stop poking the nostalgics! (They only get to like it...)

I was on a bus in London today which was following a No15 Routemaster heading along the Strand towards Tower Hill (there were a few of them around today for some reason - even saw a red and white one), and it was interesting to note how rough and patched the paintwork was on the real thing...and of course, pidgeon crap all over the roof!

Graeme

• 4 weeks later...

Michael

Another cracking build on the forum !!!!!!!! The RM kits look challenging, especially the seating !!!!!! You guys make it look so easy and get pristine looking models !!!!!!!!!!!!

Will be following this one !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nige

Impressive!

BTW for anybody still contemplating whether to buy one of these kits, the new Airfix Model World has the first part of a review build. It also has a free calendar with box-art illustrations similar to last year's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

Here's my latest update.

The lower deck and platform are nearly finished, and upper deck seats are installed on floor.The bus has a bit of identity now with the canopy route no. box showing.

I will be on to the bodywork soon,

rmlplatform005_zps2023a135.jpg

rmlplatform004_zps9efa10df.jpg

rmlplat2003_zps44d7d9ef.jpg

rmlplat2002_zpsddb1f43b.jpg

rmlplat2001_zps735297b6.jpg

rmlplatform006_zps7cdace7e.jpg

rmlplat2004_zps720a8c4e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Great work Michael, the radiator and front chassis work is first class.Look out Jorgen he's right behind you! Slow,steady and sure is the best method. More pics please mate.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Here are my latest pics. Progress is slow but steady, and hopefully will be able to show the finished article befor too long. I had to make a new rediator badge as the one supplied was the wrong colour. I've also included a couple of shots of the chassis.

updatepics010_zpse1df92d1.jpg

updatepics009_zps88dab3b2.jpg

updatepics008_zps2e246711.jpg

updatepics007_zps5e3454f8.jpg

updatepics005_zpsc71a1927.jpg

updatepics004_zps1fca89b7.jpg

updatepics003_zps9d7d5980.jpg

updatepics002_zps96fe6c77.jpg