Thunderbird 2

This was built from the Imai kit, supposedly to 1/350 scale. It's a nice shape, (I always liked TB2), but some of the lettering on the decals is a little oversized.

It was built for Smallspace earlier this year, as I had no sci-fi subjects at all to put on the Britmodeller table, so it has only been seen there and at Coventry Air Museum. That's my excuse, and I think there are enough Thunderbirds fans on here to justify sharing it.

It was built OOB, except for some extra bits inside the pod to add a bit of interest to an otherwise empty space, and the yellow strips were airbrushed on rather than use the supplied self-adhesive stickers. The support legs were shortened a bit as well, as it sat too high otherwise.

A bonus of this build, which was a lot of fun, was the excuse it gave me to watch my Thunderbirds DVDs again. Hope you enjoy it.

IMG_3186.jpg

IMG_3189.jpg

IMG_3190.jpg

Get the Rolls Royce Parker, we're going for a drive....

Marvellous! But it brought back my recurring nightmare of giant alligators!

Lovely. Always was my favourite International Rescue craft right from day 1 (yes, I saw it the first time it was broadcast).

Great job and terrific diorama. Thanks for that.

David

Get the Rolls Royce Parker, we're going for a drive....

Marvellous! But it brought back my recurring nightmare of giant alligators!

There's a wonderful story about the filming of that episode. The alligators were real, of course, and though they were babies they dwarfed the puppets as the storyline demanded. The RSPCA got wind of this and sent somebody round to make sure they weren't being mistreated. The guy found out that they were using cattle prods to encourage the alligators to move where they were supposed to, and the production team were concerned that he would put a stop to it. However he told them that the voltage they were using was far too low as the alligators would never feel it through their thick skins!

Then he asked what they were actually filming. When he learned it was Thunderbirds, he told them it was his favourite programme. He ended up taking annual leave and helping with the animals for the rest of the shoot!

Love it. The mini-Mole and femto-Firefly are the icing on the cake :) Your DVD-watching paid off since I'm pretty sure this is a City of Fire scene?

That's the one. There's a selection of miniature vehicles with the kit, some more useable than others. Firefly and Mole were the best of the bunch, so it lent itself to that scene.

Thanks all for the kind words,

Paul

My favourite Thunderbird, and you've made a lovely modelof her.

I have one of these kits too, but unfortunately no decals, and trying to source replacements has failed so far :weep:

Great looking machine :goodjob:

There's a wonderful story about the filming of that episode. The alligators were real, of course, and though they were babies they dwarfed the puppets as the storyline demanded. The RSPCA got wind of this and sent somebody round to make sure they weren't being mistreated. The guy found out that they were using cattle prods to encourage the alligators to move where they were supposed to, and the production team were concerned that he would put a stop to it. However he told them that the voltage they were using was far too low as the alligators would never feel it through their thick skins!

Then he asked what they were actually filming. When he learned it was Thunderbirds, he told them it was his favourite programme. He ended up taking annual leave and helping with the animals for the rest of the shoot!

To make the 'gators jump they would pull on a lead attached to them while the effects technician was in the tank with them.

In one take, Derek Meddings pulled on the lead and it came free.

He said he jumped out of the tank as if he was rocket propelled!

Edited by HL-10