1/48 PBY-5 Cataline - 240 Sqn RAF

This has been on and off for a few years now, finally calling it finished and... BIG!

Its the Revell 1/48 PBY-5 with a little help from Eduard, Belcher bits and True Details, with Aeromaster Decals, in the markings of FP225 of 240 Sqn RAF that I believe served as Special Duties Flight in the far east during WWII.

I had bought this off ebay, only to find it was missing the instructions also finding good reference for British Cat's are few and far between, thankfully a few Britmodellers came to my aid and sent scans. and information, so thanks for that, in particular, to stringbag and JohnT

I had but I did find a good piece of newsreel on youtube here with some great footage of a Cat crew in the far east. I noticed that the Browning’s had all be replaced by Lewis guns, so borrowed some from one a Blackdog set I have for a jeep.

Not 100% sure about all the antenna's, I think I've seen all these as well as other configurations in various references, so went for what please my eye....

Build thread is here if your interested...

CatalinaFinished002.jpg

CatalinaFinished005.jpg

CatalinaFinished006.jpg

CatalinaFinished010.jpg

CatalinaFinished008.jpg

CatalinaFinished011.jpg

CatalinaFinished014.jpg

CatalinaFinished015.jpg

CatalinaFinished017.jpg

CatalinaFinished020.jpg

CatalinaFinished022.jpg

CatalinaFinished025.jpg

CatalinaFinished030.jpg

CatalinaFinished029.jpg

CatalinaFinished028.jpg

CatalinaFinished034.jpg

CatalinaFinished035.jpg

Enjoy

• Like 2

Thats really nice Oz, it really looks the part and the weathering is great (but remember that the rear section of the wing was fabric and not metal! I think that those `V' shaped markings were zips for checking inside the fabric areas?). Great attention to detail, especially with the Vickers K Guns, I`ve always fancied doing one of these myself but don`t think I`d have enough space to display it afterwards!

These Cats were indeed used for Special Duties with SOE and the various different `Forces' working in the area and parachutists were dropped from the waist blisters,

All the best mate and well done again,

Tony O

Edited by tonyot

Now that is sweet! That has to be huge in that scale - don't know how you managed it. The weathering techniques are quite well done, you would think that the bottom wouldn't get so dirty with the plane sitting in the water all the time. Not enough barnacles, I guess!! :)

Really well done, man, have a pint on me!

Cheers,

Bill