Eduard 1/48 Fw190A-8 Weekend Edition

I bought this kit with a view to entering the Fw190 group build, but before the GB started I realised I wouldn't have any modelling time spare to be able to even start the kit. It's this weekend edition:

8429.jpg

I started this build about 4 weeks ago, and I progressed pretty quickly, getting the cockpit tub, engine & ammo storage assembled & painted up, as well as the wheel bay.

However, I've been stalled for the best part of 2 weeks now as I'm not looking forwared to getting the fuselage halves & wings together. I've seen in the WIP's of the STGB that assembly can be a pig, and sure enough dry fitting the parts so far has put The Fear ™ into me a bit. I probably doesn't help that this is the firt Eduard kit I've tried to build. I though that posting a WIP might give me a bit of impetus to carry on. This weekend I painted up some lionroar PE belts, and fitted them to the cockpit, so hopefully that will get the ball rolling again. In the mean time, with the sun out, here's where I am so far:

DSCF2222-1.jpg

Cheers

Chris

Come on Chris you can do it. Yes, there were some difficulties with some of the Eduard builds. But look at the end results. This is what modelling is all about. So come on, get your kit in one hand and glue on the other and crack on. :)

It will all be worth it in the end.

Steve

Hi Chris

It's tricky but possible. Patience and dry-fit is the key - you just need to remember (as driven home by all in the STGB) that the kit is designed for everything to be 'hanging out' or open, so if you want stuff closed, then the sanding and filling increases. If you do close everything up, you get a phenomenal collection of stuff for your spares box :lol:

HI Chris. I have the A5 weekend version in a similar state to yours and I know what you mean. It is a lovely kit and I plug away at it periodically. Don't let it scare you. Just take your time and all will be well.

Tim leaving to kick himself up the bum and crack on with his FW190...

Hi Chris, if you are planning on not having the top gun cowl closed you're going to have to cut the tops of those gun mounts off. Armed with the knowledge that making the engine cowl up was a tricky part of the build I bought the Quickboost resin one and that fit pretty well so i'd use that part again when I build another one. I'd say the worse fitting parts of the build are the wing gun covers, i've used the Quickboost ones for both the A-8 and the D but found the fit of those wasn't that great either so i'll probably use the kit ones for my next one but thats the area that you'll have to work at the most to get a good fit. If you look in on my wip in the Fw190 GB FalkeEins has posted a couple of links in post 99 that will come in handy. If you're intending building it with all the covers open it should go together with out much drama provided that you have taken your time and got that main wing spar in correctly. Another weak spot with this kit is the fit of the top IP coaming , part K6 as it seems to narrow and there isn't a fixing point for it so make up a tab so that you can fix it to the rear of part I21, don't worry to much about the gaps where it meets the fuselage side as the windscreen will hide those when fitted. Stick at at as the kit looks superb when build up.

Tim

Edited by tank152

Thanks for the encouraging words guys. I'll be building it with the wing gun covers & the gun cowl open, for a bit of visual interest. Tim, I assume you mean that the tops of the gun mounts need removing if the gun cowl is to be closed - did you get an extra 'not' in there? Dave Gibson sent me a link to his build, which shows the problem with the gun cowl quite nicely http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42975.

Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend to stick some plastic together - I want to make sure I have time to do it properly!

Oh, and I'm glad it's not just me that gets intimidated by a small box of injection moulded plastic :analintruder:

Chris

Yeah you only have to remove the tops of the gun mounts if you're closing the cowl. Just had a look at the link to Dave's build. It seems everyone has a different method of building these kits, i'm surprised he never mentioned the coaming part K6 as there is no positive location points for that part.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Tim.

I spent an hour of valuable modelling time doing repairs to one of my completed models. SWMBO and I have an understanding that she leaves it up to me to dust my completed models, as there have been one or two breakages in the past. So instead of dusting my mk1 Spit, she dusted a large decorative plate the was next to it... that promptly fell over & squashed the kit flat. To put a positive spin on it, at least now I have lots of practise in pinning snapped undercarriage back on :coolio:

Back to the 190. Dry fitting found that the cockpit fitted nicely but the firewall & ammo chutes 'tucked in' too much, so when you try to mate the body with the bottom parts of the wings the chutes don't fit in the slot provided. A bit of wrangling & I now have the two halves together. I can spy a bit of a gap here, but I don't want to pinch the sides together too much, in case I leave myself a gap where the top half of the wings meet the wing root.

I have rewarded myself with some suitable refreshments :drink: and shall continue tomorrow

DSCF2232.jpg

Chris

Edited by cheeley

Fuselage is now attached to the bottom half of the wings & the tops of the wings are now on. Getting the top halves of the wings on was the hardest part, there isn't a lot of wriggle room with a kit like this. On the one hand it means that getting everything lined up correctly is a challenge, but it does mean that once you do manage to get things in place, there aren't a lot of gaps to fill. The starboard wing is virtually perfect,the port wing has a small gap at the trailing edge of the wing root that will need some attention. (The benefit of taking a close up photo like the one below: I notice things like the gap where the front fuselage meets the bottom half of the port wing, probably caused when I was wrestling the top half into place. I've now flooded a bit of cement into that gap & clamped it.)

DSCF2243.jpg

Edited by cheeley

Fiddly little exhausts added to the engine. One last photo of my handiwork before it gets shut away for good...

DSCF2261.jpg

The cowl went on without too much trouble, mainly because of a lot of dry fitting & double checking. I've yet to put in a couple of the engine mount supports & of course the guns, but it's pretty much spot on. There is a little bit to fill, but that's a result of a bit of a short shot in the part rather than a fit issue. I have a big blob of cement that leaked out on the bottom, so I've resisted the urge to touch it until it's dry & I'll sand that down when I fill the rest of the gaps.

DSCF2263.jpg

I'm happy how it turned out, I could have done with about 3 pairs of hands though!

Chris

Thanks Tim, I think you're right, the hard work is mostly done. I've got the control surfaces on & the IP cowl in place. Gaps filled, when the Klear on the clear parts has cured I can get some paint on it

DSCF2280.jpg

Chris

Edited by cheeley

Thats looking great Chris, from what i have seen these eduards 190's are a PITA to put together (but worth it!) it looks like youve wrestled it into submission with no problems.

Paintworks looking lovely too, nice toght feathered demarcation, what paints did you use / did you spray it freehand?

Cheers, Stu

Cheers guys. Stu I use Tamiya acrylics, thinned with meths. I masked off for the yellow (I.D. panel?), the rest I did freehand. I toyed with the idea of blu tak masking for a feathered edge, but to me a lot of the late war camo schemes have a rough and ready look, which suits me fine!

8429-profile_zps8dbedffc.jpg

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Red band sprayed & unlike on my 109, I managed to keep the overspray to a minimum. Biggest decals are on, part way through doing the stencils. I took a photo break so I could stretch my legs after doing the stencils on the trim tabs. They're tiny, but readable through a magnifier!

DSCF2345.jpg

Chris

• Like 1