Revell/Matchbox PB4Y2 Privateer 1/72 - Finished (at long last)

Markh-75, try scraping the recess with a curved blade to enlarge it, or sanding the wing to make it smaller.  You might also try making a jig out of wood or Lego to hold everything in place, then apply your choice of adhesive. I wouldn’t bin it just yet.

David

i already tried sanding the wing and it just jumps back out. I've screwed up the tail geometry too, i looked at it and compared it to a photo. Its went together so nicely but now its all wrong. I'm doing more harm than good with it and it i have to break a part to reset it, i might not be able to stop breaking it all up. :angry:

Edited by Markh-75

Another option: cover the wing root with a Sharpie pen, insert the wing, then move the wing up and down.  Any high spots should rub off the ink and be revealed.

I’ve had similar geometry issues too that involved breaking and/or cutting things to set them right. It can be a frustrating hobby at times.

David

7 hours ago, Markh-75 said:

i already tried sanding the wing and it just jumps back out. I've screwed up the tail geometry too, i looked at it and compared it to a photo. Its went together so nicely but now its all wrong. I'm doing more harm than good with it and it i have to break a part to reset it, i might be able to stop breaking it all up. :angry:

Markh-75 I've replied to you're post in the chat section, but maybe a solution is to bin it, buy a replacement and start again making use of what you've learnt?  Alternatively, put it away for a week and come back to it with a fresh mind.  Maybe a major disassembly might fix it, and if it doesn't there's always plan A.

Taking an idea from Stewart above, try parking it up for a bit, everything I've read about these tells me they're a challenging build, & try a few smaller kits which have a reputation for being straight forward, something from Academy or Hasegawa maybe, give us some options from the kits you have & get some feed back as to what they're like to build. This way you can get your mojo back, get some fun from it  & get some practice before you confront the Privateer again, then, work at it in stages so you don't get stale & disheartened with it again.

Steve.

• Like 1

On 19/05/2020 at 15:33, stevehnz said:

Taking an idea from Stewart above, try parking it up for a bit, everything I've read about these tells me they're a challenging build, & try a few smaller kits which have a reputation for being straight forward, something from Academy or Hasegawa maybe, give us some options from the kits you have & get some feed back as to what they're like to build. This way you can get your mojo back, get some fun from it  & get some practice before you confront the Privateer again, then, work at it in stages so you don't get stale & disheartened with it again.

Steve.

I have some cracking kits yet to build, one or two have issues due to their age, such as the Tigercat, it needs new decals so i'll find alternative ones for that. Some small models like the H-75, a P-40B, a Stearman Kaydet, A kittyhawk. I would like another Kingfisher as i have taken a liking for seaplanes! (wont be an airfix tho) I'd like to have another crack at an A-36 Apache dive bomber, i have an F-82 'double Mustang waiting. I have another Grumman Duck to build, a Hobbyboss P-61 Black Widow, an Academy PBY-5A (looks an excellent build to do), a Mach2 PBY Coronado, a Minicraft Martin PBM Mariner, (also looks promising), and a nice Airfix B-26 Marauder, there are some more but not many; i'm limited to what i can actually build, i dont want a massive great stash that i will probably never see built; and i have the Privateer.:huh:

There are more i'd like to buy yet too; i still dont have my B-17, or a B-25; i rather like the bi-planes (but not the WW1 models), i find them fascinating to build! I'd like some more training aircraft such as an A-6 Texan, some of the inter-war models look interesting too., and some that were not that well known!

• Like 2

On 18/05/2020 at 16:02, Chemguy3000 said:

Another option: cover the wing root with a Sharpie pen, insert the wing, then move the wing up and down.  Any high spots should rub off the ink and be revealed.

I’ve had similar geometry issues too that involved breaking and/or cutting things to set them right. It can be a frustrating hobby at times.

David

I tried that and there are no marks in the ink at all! 🤔 maybe i'll need to scrape away inside the recess a little because it does go in; it just jumps back out!:huh:

I reckon for the tail, i'll set the fuselage up straight and brace the tail then add some weight to the offending part for a few days, i dont really want to be breaking bits off if possible, i find that a bit negative. I have been known to go back and remove a part that's been glued but it comes away as it was done maybe a couple of hours before; i then very carefully cut to open the gap between the parts.

I did that with the SBC-4 Helldiver landing gear as i'd set it up wrong, i swithered a while trying to decide what to do before finally cutting carefully with a knife to separate them and carefully eased them down and into the correct place; without breaking anything! The model would have just sat wrong had i not done that. I like my kits to look as genuine as i can get them.

Edited by Markh-75

On 5/19/2020 at 4:33 PM, stevehnz said:

Steve.

Steve (and Stewart) you took the words out of my mouth, I was already pondering to say something in the same direction.

@Markh-75I'd say too put the it aside and sleep over it and maybe meanwhile start an easy build that fits better:

And don't stress yourself, we are all on the same boat.

• Like 1

You can mate. I am in a similar quandary over my old airfix Blenheim as I messed up the scribing and cracked the fuselage. I’ve put it aside for another day to build a mojo restorer. If you can, get yourself a hobby boss quick kit. They fall together and look great. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Wince said:

You can mate. I am in a similar quandary over my old airfix Blenheim as I messed up the scribing and cracked the fuselage. I’ve put it aside for another day to build a mojo restorer. If you can, get yourself a hobby boss quick kit. They fall together and look great. 

I have a HobbyBoss P-61 but i'm gonna wait for now.

Someone seems to be selling a stash on the 'Bay', quite a few good vintage kits on offer! I'm either going MAD or i'm recovering, i bought a Revell P-39 Airacobra, dont have one of those yet and it looks a nice simple little kit!

Re the crack in the fuselage; i did the same when i built the SB2C Helldiver (i'm sure you remember that one?), i had to cut away the body to fit a different wing-set and i was trimming out with a knife and caused a crack in the fuselage at a weak spot; I put a spot of liquid Poly on the crack and left it a while (overnight i fink), next day it was nice and strong again! IF you can get access to the inside where the crack is you can try that, failing that you might need to take some paint off and do it. Liquid poly and other liquid glues weld the cracked parts nicely because they seep into the break and actually weld the area back together.

Edited by Markh-75

1 hour ago, Markh-75 said:

I have some cracking kits yet to build,

That is a list of great builds to come there, the only thing about them that would concern me, they're in the main large aircraft & hardly shake & bake, they'll all take some work. You're obviously capable of it but a constant diet of not so easy kits can take the fun away too. Maybe try some more modern kits with a easy to build reputation, Academy & Hasegawa I mentioned above, the Hobby Boss Easy build kits go together well & most of them make up looking good, they're great for different versions of the same aircraft when the fiinish is the thing rather than the build, & an excellent distraction when you're getting bogged down with a big beastie. Worth a think about perhaps.

The other thing that occurred to me is the importance of knowing what sort of modeler you want to be for you, not the assembled throng on here. Apart from not modelling enough, but thats just life over the last few years, I've made a pact with myself that I'll model the way I want to, to my standard & in a way that is fun for me. Much as I love to watch the amazing skills on display here & enjoy the banter that frequently accompanies them, I don't have any desire to try to emulate that standard, as I know I'd bog myself down & never get a damn thing done, so what modelling I do is at a level I can handle without stress or (much) frustration. Also worth thinking about I reckon.

Take care,

Steve.

2 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

That is a list of great builds to come there, the only thing about them that would concern me, they're in the main large aircraft & hardly shake & bake, they'll all take some work. You're obviously capable of it but a constant diet of not so easy kits can take the fun away too. Maybe try some more modern kits with a easy to build reputation, Academy & Hasegawa I mentioned above, the Hobby Boss Easy build kits go together well & most of them make up looking good, they're great for different versions of the same aircraft when the fiinish is the thing rather than the build, & an excellent distraction when you're getting bogged down with a big beastie. Worth a think about perhaps.

The other thing that occurred to me is the importance of knowing what sort of modeler you want to be for you, not the assembled throng on here. Apart from not modelling enough, but thats just life over the last few years, I've made a pact with myself that I'll model the way I want to, to my standard & in a way that is fun for me. Much as I love to watch the amazing skills on display here & enjoy the banter that frequently accompanies them, I don't have any desire to try to emulate that standard, as I know I'd bog myself down & never get a damn thing done, so what modelling I do is at a level I can handle without stress or (much) frustration. Also worth thinking about I reckon.

Take care,

Steve.

Yes, and mainly that was the way i looked at it too. The Privateer is an older kit and a few of my other kits are newer, Its taken a good bit longer and has been an alright build up to now where it seems to fight me all the way. I know i will never reach the standard of other modellers because they airbrush, i actually prefer to hand paint my kits, i have never tried an airbrush before and not seen one in operation at close quarters to know what to do. A member of the group has suggested that i should prime my models before i paint and the primer can be applied by brush or rattle can, gives a far better finish to the paintwork. I'll try that too.

I like the Academy kits, i find them very pleasant to make but there is a limit as my collection is all USAAF and US Navy aircraft of WW2, but there are other kits. I bought an older Revell P-39 Airacobra this evening, that will be a nice little kit to make, i enjoyed the older Havoc i built recently so this should be an interesting little kit to make. I'm modelling on a budget with only limited funds so i cant always afford many more pricey kits tbh, but i've done okay up until recently. Thanks Steve, Mark.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Markh-75 said:

I have a HobbyBoss P-61 but i'm gonna wait for now.

Someone seems to be selling a stash on the 'Bay', quite a few good vintage kits on offer! I'm either going MAD or i'm recovering, i bought a Revell P-39 Airacobra, dont have one of those yet and it looks a nice simple little kit!

Re the crack in the fuselage; i did the same when i built the SB2C Helldiver (i'm sure you remember that one?), i had to cut away the body to fit a different wing-set and i was trimming out with a knife and caused a crack in the fuselage at a weak spot; I put a spot of liquid Poly on the crack and left it a while (overnight i fink), next day it was nice and strong again! IF you can get access to the inside where the crack is you can try that, failing that you might need to take some paint off and do it. Liquid poly and other liquid glues weld the cracked parts nicely because they seep into the break and actually weld the area back together.

I’m replicating the panel lines by rebuilding the entire skin with self adhesive foil and plasticard. Why do we do it to ourselves....

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...