saw this over at ARC

hacker

Indeed Richard, its just a shame that they didn't apply such dilligence to their 1/72nd Sea Harriers!

Well, that work was done 4 years ago, they seem to be learning from past deficiencies and seem to be improving with each new release. The new 1/72 Mustang I'm building is streets ahead of the BF.109G and MiG 15 in terms of quality of detail and fit and the decals are superb.

If we all want a loverly new Lightning from Airfix in the Gentleman's scale, can I suggest the following course of action. We ALL break out our Trumpy/Hase/Frog ones from our collective stashes and start building them. And I mean we go to town on them. Nothing short of total rescribes, scratchbuilt cockpits, correction of every fault and home made vac-form canopies. Then, just as we're presenting them in the RFI section, along comes Airfix with a shiny new one!

Mark.

• Like 1

Indeed Richard, its just a shame that they didn't apply such dilligence to their 1/72nd Sea Harriers!

Different design and R&D people - dare i say one which didn't take 1/72 as seriously? It's notable the improvements in quality in that scale since the personnel changes.

That's me! A lot of information is required for CAD design, so the Airfix team gather as much data and information as they can, including getting original manufacturers data and blueprints and measuring any airframes they can. The Sea Vixen release took longer than expected as there were delays while the team acquired the necessary detailed measurements for some of the complex curved areas in the rear of the fuselage. The research and design team are very diligent and dedicated and I think this really shows in the quality of the new kits like the Lynx and Swordfish. :thumbsup:

Thanks, Richard. I hope this is all true, and Airfix does release a new Lightning in 1:72. I've been really impressed with their latest kits. Academy was (again) supposed to do this in 2012, but it disappeared from their new kit list back in March or so. I think they tease us every year! :(

If we all want a loverly new Lightning from Airfix in the Gentleman's scale, can I suggest the following course of action. We ALL break out our Trumpy/Hase/Frog ones from our collective stashes and start building them. And I mean we go to town on them. Nothing short of total rescribes, scratchbuilt cockpits, correction of every fault and home made vac-form canopies. Then, just as we're presenting them in the RFI section, along comes Airfix with a shiny new one!

Mark.

Been there, done that! Maybe if it was just more than one crazy modeller doing it - how about a Trumpeter group build with Airfix sponsoring it? :)

Cheers,

Bill

That's me! A lot of information is required for CAD design, so the Airfix team gather as much data and information as they can, including getting original manufacturers data and blueprints and measuring any airframes they can. The Sea Vixen release took longer than expected as there were delays while the team acquired the necessary detailed measurements for some of the complex curved areas in the rear of the fuselage. The research and design team are very diligent and dedicated and I think this really shows in the quality of the new kits like the Lynx and Swordfish. :thumbsup:

It's a shame they weren't that diligent when they did the Canberra! :weep: But bring on the Frightening! I'd love to see the full range but I'd settle for a good F.2A/6 for a start.

John