1/144 Revell Space Shuttle Atlantis and stack.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Maybe a bit late but Space in Miniatures have the Modellers Guide on the Space Shuttle as a download version now (since two days I think): http://www.spaceinminiature.com/books/sim3.html

It is quite nice and well worth the 7 USD. I am really happy I bought it. But please note that if you like to order more than one PDF file you should do this in seperate orders and fulfill each transaction with PayPal seperately - as PayPal will only provide one download link per order...

Rene

• 7 months later...

A long overdue update on this one....a start has been made!

Built up the shuttle fuselage and added the cargo bay doors. The fit isn't great:

IMG_5528_zps950301b2.jpg

IMG_5530_zpsf66436ff.jpg

Also built up the fuel tank:

IMG_5532_zps053dbc52.jpg

More soon.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I've just been to the new Shuttle Atlantis exhibition at Kennedy Space Center and took loads of detail photos.

I hope to get them uploaded to the Walkaround Section soon. That should give you loads of info for your build.

cheers

Mike

Atlantis_001_resized.jpg

Atlantis_002_resized.jpg

dsc_0402_tank_resized.jpg

• Like 2

Cheers Mike! Just what i need! I'm heading there in September, but wanted to build the kit now :lol:

Is the exhibition good? I've already seen the Discovery and Endeavour so looking forward to completing the trilogy!

Dave

Hi Dave,

By September you will miss the LC-39A pad and VAB tours as they will have been handed back to NASA ready for the Orion space programme. However you may catch the first Orion launch as that is due in September.

I found the Atlantis exhibition to be excellent, as they have angled the Orbiter over so that you can get quite close and see into the cargo bay quite easily. The Canada Arm juts out over your head!

Mike

here are a couple of additional (low-res) images

Atlantis_006_resized.jpg

Atlantis_005_resized.jpg

Atlantis_003_resized.jpg

Cheers Mike! Didn't realised they did pad tours anyway, just really looking forward to seeing the place. A launch would be a bonus! So much to see, including the Saturn V.

Dave

Done a bit more today and the main construction is pretty much done.

Orbiter:

IMG_5539_zps4dcb01c4.jpg

IMG_5540_zps3aa2bc8d.jpg

IMG_5541_zps90dd2583.jpg

All the filler was necessary as the kit is quite rough in some areas. All that needs done now is to sand off all the green stuff and add the engines. Speaking of which:

IMG_5533_zps1cd5fd5e.jpg

IMG_5534_zps7171aa07.jpg

Lovely detail!

Moved on to the SRBs (solid rocket boosters):

IMG_5536_zpse50db28c.jpg

IMG_5537_zps452a9898.jpg

And finally the MLP (mobile launcher platform) which is woefully undersized and under-detailed so the plan is simply to spray it grey and use as a base, with a few patches etc:

IMG_5538_zpsc7c207c8.jpg

More to come.

Dave

Hi Dave,

how would you rate the quality of the Main Engine Resin Kit from Real Space Models? The bells look much better on the packaging than the parts themselves, or deceives? :coolio:

:bye:

Hi Dave,

how would you rate the quality of the Main Engine Resin Kit from Real Space Models? The bells look much better on the packaging than the parts themselves, or deceives? :coolio:

:bye:

They look nice, not the best resin i've seen by any means, but definitely a vast improvement on the kit parts. If you're building a shuttle, i think they are an essential.

Dave

Bit more to show. Firstly, the Orbiter was sanded and smoothed down and the windscreen masked off:

IMG_5560_zpsb431686d.jpg

IMG_5561_zpsa1721546.jpg

IMG_5562_zpsf456db8b.jpg

Sprayed the undersides black (will be completely covered by the tile decals so i'm not too concerned about colour accuracy):

IMG_5563_zps755c9698.jpg

Once dry, I masked off the leading edges, engine and nose sections and sprayed white:

IMG_5564_zpsa4fa15bd.jpg

IMG_5566_zps5338bf35.jpg

IMG_5568_zps6244ea4c.jpg

The majority of the detail on the upper surfaces of the Orbiter will come from both the tile decals and the kit decal. There's a lot to put on!!

SRBs sprayed white with just a few details to add:

IMG_5567_zps4c337093.jpg

Base nearly finished. Sprayed it with a humbrol rattle can and added the patches. I'm not putting any detail into it as it's only for displaying the shuttle. Still have to add a small plaque though.

IMG_5559_zps58afb651.jpg

IMG_5558_zpsceb97bd7.jpg

A few areas to tidy up on both the Orbiter and SRBs then it's time to paint the fuel tank and start decalling.

More to come.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I also took a load of photos of the external tank and SRB's whilst at KSC; plus some very detailed shots of the Shuttle Launch Tower at LC-39A (Ready for when the Revell kit hits the shops!).

Here are some lo-res image examples below and I can send you the hi-res versions if you want.

Keep up the build and posting your progress, I'm enjoying this.

Mike

DSC_0002_external_tank_2014_resized.jpg

DSC_0014_external_tank_2014_resized.jpg

DSC_0185_LC-39A_2014_resized.jpg

DSC_0188_LC-39A_2014_resized.jpg

DSC_0189_LC-39A_2014_resized.jpg

Cheers Mike! Just what i needed actually, gives me some ideas for the colours and the like. Any more would be greatly appreciated!

Could anyone point me in the direction of the correct/similar colour of the fuel tank? Preferably from a Humbrol or Tamiya rattle can for ease of use! Looks to be darker than standard orange?

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

A bit more done this evening. SRB's were detailed and given an initial coat of gloss prior to decalling:

IMG_5570_zpsc8fbdf3d.jpg

Orbiter was also sprayed in Halfords white primer:

IMG_5571_zps4a26a6ec.jpg

IMG_5572_zpsd61f92c6.jpg

There's just a few bits that need cleaned up then i'll mask off and paint the leading edges of the wings before gloss and decals (not looking forward to the latter!)

Also found this magazine I bought at the Udvar Hazy centre (where Discovery is displayed) last year. Some great reference material in it:

IMG_5569_zps3034f3af.jpg

More soon.

Dave

Looks good so far - sorry if you've already mentioned it, but I'd like to know where you get your plaques from. As Mike (the little fella) said, it gives a professional finish :)

Looks good so far - sorry if you've already mentioned it, but I'd like to know where you get your plaques from. As Mike (the little fella) said, it gives a professional finish :)

Thanks Mike. I do like the plaques, i've added them to all the kits i've built that sit on a base for display...B-1B, Blackhawk, F-15, Chinook to name a few. I get them from these folk on ebay:

ebay

Very cheap and great quality.

Dave