1/144 Revell Space Shuttle Atlantis and stack.

Brief bit of work done tonight. Engines were painted and detailed with red pipework as per some of my references. The engines themselves will be weathered a bit to take the metallic sheen off them:

IMG_5579_zps3942b449.jpg

Removed the initial masking from the Orbiter then applied the new masking for the leading edges of the wings. These were then painted Tamiya Nato black. All very rough for the meantime but the comprehensive decals to go on cover up all the rough edges and demarcation lines:

IMG_5580_zpsb066b549.jpg

IMG_5581_zps38ac0fa0.jpg

IMG_5582_zps0319dd59.jpg

Like I say, a bit rough, but the majority of the details on this build will be from the decals. Will get a gloss coat on in the next few days in preparation for the decals.

More soon.

Dave

More today...SRBs were decalled and sprayed with a matt coat:

IMG_5597_zpsc8155aa3.jpg

While this was going on, the Orbiter was glossed and left to dry. 5 hours of decalling later...

IMG_5596_zps327bb604.jpg

IMG_5595_zps4a5dc8cb.jpg

IMG_5594_zps8f649b89.jpg

IMG_5593_zpsd6351ff4.jpg

Still have some more stencils and the rest of the tiles to put on, namely around the cockpit, tail fin and right wing. The undersides look very dark, but once these have been sealed with a matt coat, i've an idea for weathering that I hope will bring the tiles up a bit to look more realistic for an Orbiter that has been in space a few times!

More to come.

Dave

Hi Dave, coming along nicely.

Check out my photos in the Walkarounds section (you'll need to scroll right down almost to the bottom) as the underside looks to be more dark grey rather than black.

cheers

Mike

I like the upper wing surfaces, they look good :speak_cool:

i'm not too convinced about the 'white' tiles on the left wing. They look too grey for me, and it's something you don't see on the real thing. I might peel it off and leave it as it is. I'm awfully confused, this being my first space kit :lol:

On the other hand, i'm relatively pleased with it thus far.

Won this package on ebay a few days ago...

IMG_5599_zps247052d0.jpg

Some rare aftermarket too, all the Cutting Edge decals and masks, along with the engines and fin camera for Columbia:

IMG_5600_zps713f5bd2.jpg

Plan to start this after the F-14 GB. Thinking I'll mark it up as Endeavour in Orbit with the cargo bay doors open.

Dave

• Like 1

Orbiter is now finished. Another hour of decalling followed by a flat coat and some moderate weathering was all it took. Engines also attached so it's ready for the rest of the stack.

The undersides were a bit dark so once the flat coat had dried, i brushed in some white weathering pigment to show up the tile detail and lighten the base colour. I'm quite happy with it, though for my next shuttle, i'll definitely paint the undersides in dark grey as opposed to black.

IMG_5604_zps028fab77.jpg

IMG_5610_zpsc80c7189.jpg

IMG_5612_zps63118e49.jpg

IMG_5613_zpsed88cf52.jpg

IMG_5614_zps9cb22db8.jpg

IMG_5615_zpse13c58a2.jpg

IMG_5616_zps849a7fce.jpg

Just finishing off the fuel tank now, so should be ready in a few days all being well.

Dave

Finished today....

The fuel tank:

IMG_5624_zpsaee4fa0e.jpg

I know the colours aren't 100%, but i'm happy enough with them. Build up the layers of orange, red and some white from rattle cans. Once dry, I attached the SRBs:

IMG_5625_zps339ea91d.jpg

And finally the Orbiter:

IMG_5626_zps2d0d8565.jpg

Final pictures are here

Thanks to all who commented/followed. Not unpleased with my first Space kit. Next up is Endeavour!

Dave

• Like 3