1/144 Revell Space Shuttle Atlantis and stack.

Hello all,

As a side project to my current GB commitments, i'm going to have a go at Revell's 1/144 Space Shuttle. I've never built a space kit before, so it's all a bit new! Though i do have plans to add a Saturn V and Lunar Module, but that's another story!

The kit:

IMG_2899.jpg

IMG_2900.jpg

Aftermarket:

IMG_2901.jpg

Using Realspacemodels resin engines and tile decals from a chap on ebay. The patch is for the final flight of, not only the Orbiter Atlantis, but the whole Space Shuttle program. STS-135 ran from 8th-21st July 2011.

My inspiration to build this now came from watching several videos on youtube, namely

and

Dave

Edited by DaveJL
  • Like 1

Same set up as I have lurking about. Really wish I could find the time and build as quickly as you... :hmmm:

I had planned to go 1/72 but this one looks big enough :lol:

Really don't know how I build so quickly...only two days off a week. Though, was off all last week so was able to power through the B-1 :winkgrin:

Dave

I built the Academy 1/144 Shuttle last year and used the tile decal set produced by Meteor Models - who have now ceased production. They certainly enhance the look of the orbiter but it was one of the most difficult decalling jobs more that I ever attempted.

In their natural state the tile pattern was far roo pronounced but a few misted coats of Tamiya Dark Grey, NATO Black and Smoke helped tone everything down.

I think the key thing to achieve for a realistic orbiter is to try and depict the various shades of white and the discolouration caused by re-entry which is really quite pronounced.

Edited by Eric Mc

Hi dave,nice to see a shuttle build,would of loved to do a group build with a shuttle,its the one vehicle i just cannot get right,ive built and scrapped 4 so far ,and have at least 8 waiting until my confidence improves,sorry until my build confidence improves.One of the things that bugs me is the armchair critics who have every rivet,numbered,and dont mind telling you,would love to end up with a representation of a shuttle,so i will watch with envy. cheers Don

Hi dave,nice to see a shuttle build,would of loved to do a group build with a shuttle,its the one vehicle i just cannot get right,ive built and scrapped 4 so far ,and have at least 8 waiting until my confidence improves,sorry until my build confidence improves.One of the things that bugs me is the armchair critics who have every rivet,numbered,and dont mind telling you,would love to end up with a representation of a shuttle,so i will watch with envy. cheers Don

Hi Don,

I've found a couple of links to some very helpful resources for information which might help you. I'll send you a pm.

cheers

Mike

The box art shows it to be 43.7 cm, however the Mobile Launch Platform (MLP), that the Shuttle stands on, is half correct size in the Revell kit. This means that the correct scale MLP would make it a few cm taller.

Mike

It's a nice thing to build. Want to do one myself some day. Already have the HUUUUUUUUGE ISS kit so maybe I can do a Shuttle to go with it.

The box-art looks wrong though... the Shuttle would never have that attitude in relation to the earth when she's that high, and I don't think the SRB's would still be attached at that altitude.

Sorry... geek mode off :P

Don't even bother trying to make that Revell MLP look like a real one due to how small it is (among other flaws, such as crawler tracks on the bottom making it look like it has the crawler built in when the crawler just deposits the MLP at the pad and drives away). I would say paint it to look like a display stand with some hints of an MLP in it and you will be fine. In the case of my future shuttle builds though, I'm just going ahead and scrapping the MLP bases to use trophy plaque type bases for display, since they look slicker. And I can get the patches to lay down on them evenly.

This is a 1/72 stack, but one can easily do it with a 1/144 stack as well.

117comp-14.jpg

As for the tile details, the decals work fine, although the tiles really only gray out on the bottom of the orbiter from repeated reentries due to the higher heat loads. On the upper wings, tail and sides of the nose, they remain more or less black with some ever so slight sheen differences. Painting the darker shades on the sides of the nose can yield some very nice looking effects (again, 1/72, but I achieved similar results with a 1/144 Columbia stack).

117comp-4.jpg

If you plan to build a recent orbiter, one very simple modification that can be added is a dragchute housing at the base of the tail. Endeavour had it new from the factory and the other orbiters had it retrofitted to them as they went through refit work during the mid-1990s. No kit or prebuild in any scale to date (with the exception of the expensive Bandai 1/144 prebuild) as ever correctly replicated it. But it is a very easy fix.

117wip-4.jpg

117comp-10.jpg

And the last of the easy fixes/modifications that can be done is to use Milliput or a similar epoxy putty to make foam rings around the aft segments of the SRBs. Revell represents them with decals, but they really are raised. In real life, they are made from the same spray foam applied to the external tank. NASA tested and started using the foam when it was found that sea water under pressure (since the aft segments float deeper in the water than the top ones) was leaking into the joints and damaging them. So the foam acted as a final layer of sealer. ET foam can be almost any color from pale yellow brown, to orange, to chocolate brown depending on how long a shuttle spends at the pad before a successful launch (the foam gets a sun tan as it were). But the foam rings tend to never darken to more than a orange shade at most since they are applied at KSC during stacking operations. Best way to paint them I've found is after making and applying the rings, paint the SRBs in gloss white as normal, then mask off the rings and shoot on the orange color.

Edited by JMChladek

Thanks for the info mate. I had planned just to use the 'crawler' as a base, nothing more, since it looks a bit s***!!

Do you have any photos of the dragchute housing on the actual orbiters? Just so I can get an idea of overall shape etc. Any close ups of the foam rings?

Cheers

Dave

PM me with your email address and I'll go digging through my archives. There aren't any very clear images of the dragchute housing from the side since the OMS pods get in the way (I've got a couple that are close) and I've also never found a good shot showcasing if the housing flares out either, but if you get the side profile right, it will look fine for a launch stack anyway since nobody is going to stick their nose up the bottom of the stack. I should have some decent shots of the rings though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...