Tamiya Beaufighter - Malta's Whispering Death

Having tried to do some research on this particular aircraft seemed to throw up more questions than answers to the point that I'm not sure if the codes T9068 are correct and weather it actually served in Malta ! Doing a seach on the aircraft throws up pictures of an aircraft with 'V' codes, but it isn't this one as it has the horizontal stabilisers, shorter carb intakes and cut down bubble observer canopy. If anyone can shed any light on what aircraft this actually is, that would be great. The decals are OOB.

This is a beautiful kit, however does allow some additional detail to be added with ease. I've enhanced the cockpit and observer/gunner area using plastic rod and sheet and used the Falcon canopy set as the kit parts are quite thick. The inside of the canopy hatch were built up with plastic then elastic thread added to create the sun shade runners. The sun shade was made from pewter foil crinkled and painted matt white then tacked to the elastic. I wanted to capture the look of a sun bleached aircraft so the panels were post shaded with lighter tones of extracrylic mid stone and dark earth followed by a wash and dry pastel brushing add the dirt. I appreciate this isn't everyones cup of tea, but I like em dirty ! The build thread is HERE, although I didn't take many pictures unfortunately. Hope you like it...

aDSC01502.jpg

aDSC01512.jpg

aDSC01513.jpg

aDSC01523.jpg

aDSC01525.jpg

aDSC01527.jpg

aDSC01514.jpg

aDSC01521.jpg

aDSC01516.jpg

aDSC01519.jpg

aDSC01528.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Neil

• Like 7

What a stunning model you have built!

The paint finish and weathering is amazing and I love the attention to detail, such as the sun shade in the pilot's canopy.

Absolutely beautiful!

Very well done :thumbsup::goodjob:

Nice job, this aircraft has turned up in a number of magazines etc as a profile and Tamiya has just taken these images as "Gospel", if they had done a little research they would have found that this A/C as such did not exist, the serial "T9068" was not applied to any RAF/RN aircraft. I do not think the observers gun position was fitted to the Mk.I/VI Beau, if a gun was fitted it was in a, as you mention, cut down canopy, this seems to have usually been a Vickers GO (Vickers "K") if you really lucky a Browning. No rockets on the aircraft as Tamiya would have you believe!

Cheers

Phil

Having tried to do some research on this particular aircraft seemed to throw up more questions than answers to the point that I'm not sure if the codes T9068 are correct and weather it actually served in Malta ! Doing a seach on the aircraft throws up pictures of an aircraft with 'V' codes, but it isn't this one as it has the horizontal stabilisers, shorter carb intakes and cut down bubble observer canopy. If anyone can shed any light on what aircraft this actually is, that would be great. The decals are OOB.

This is a beautiful kit, however does allow some additional detail to be added with ease. I've enhanced the cockpit and observer/gunner area using plastic rod and sheet and used the Falcon canopy set as the kit parts are quite thick. The inside of the canopy hatch were built up with plastic then elastic thread added to create the sun shade runners. The sun shade was made from pewter foil crinkled and painted matt white then tacked to the elastic. I wanted to capture the look of a sun bleached aircraft so the panels were post shaded with lighter tones of extracrylic mid stone and dark earth followed by a wash and dry pastel brushing add the dirt. I appreciate this isn't everyones cup of tea, but I like em dirty ! The build thread is HERE, although I didn't take many pictures unfortunately. Hope you like it...

Thanks for looking,

Neil

The main thing is you enjoyed building the kit and made a good job of it, and that's what it's all about-- it's a hobby.

Cheers

Phil

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Also thanks for clarifying a few things regarding its actual identity and accuracy. I should of dsone this research before finishing the kit :banghead:

Cheers

Neil