Neil Armstrong has died

GordonD

fighter pilot then test pilot then to go on to the greatest adventure anyone can imagine. Truly one of the great Reluctant hero of our generation has ever seen and never will see the like of again. RIP Mr Armstrong you lived a good life, one most of us can only dream of.

Very sad news, indeed. As someone who grew up with the space programme, though just too young to remember that mission, it is a very sad day.

He was just here in town for a charity dinner last month, perhaps his last public engagement and apparently was very good value.

RIP :poppy:

l was 8 when the family sat and watch it on the old B&W on the farm. It is ingrained in my mind until this day. Personal childhood hero here. This kinda makes one feel old when famous people you grew up with are dying off one by one.

Not many people can claim to be the "1st" at anything: He was without doubt our greatest 1st!

A humble man who never sought fame and just wanted to to the best he could, & who went on to be a legend.

Godspeed, Mr Armstrong. I hope we can live up to what you the other Apollo boys started.....

I was 1! My birthday was the day Apollo 11 took off.

I still have my Dad's atlas which had a map of the moon - on it, my Dad wrote "Tranquillity Base" in advance of the landing. My family tell me that Dad had us all up to watch it happen, to witness history.

Fighter pilot. Test pilot. Lunar Module pilot. Absolute legend.

Godspeed Neil Armstrong.