Eduard Photo Etch Detail Sets for Airfix Fairey Swordfish Kit - 1:72 Eduard

Eduard Photo Etch Detail Sets for Airfix Fairey Swordfish Kit

1:72 Eduard

swordfishpacks.jpg

Of all Airfix’s recent kits, the 1:72 Swordfish seems to be the one that has set the benchmark for future releases. Airfix really seem to have hit the mark with their Stringbag, as the kit features a perfect blend of fine detail, clever engineering and buildability. Now Eduard have released a brace of photo etch detail sets to build on the kit’s tremendous foundations.

Swordfish (self adhesive)

swordfish1.jpg

swordfish2.jpg

The first set is a one-stop-shop for producing a super-detailed Swordfish. There are a multitude of parts for the kit’s already lovely cockpit. Starting from the bottom, the floor of the cockpit receives some additional details which help to add a realistic finish to the kit part. Belts are provided for the crew seats, as well as a new multi-part instrument panel and similar pre-painted parts for the radio kit. Details are provided for both the fixed, forward-firing Vickers Gun and the rear-firing .303 in Lewis Gun, including a tiny ring and bead gun sight. A whole host of smaller parts, such as throttle levers and cables for the control column, are provided as well. The overall effect will be a superbly detailed cockpit – no bad thing for a biplane with no canopy to get in the way!

Eduard haven’t stopped there, however. The rest of the airframe benefits from a number of extra details too. There are quite a few surface panels provided which represent various access hatches. Having used a set of these on my recent Ju 88AA-4 build review, I can testify that they look excellent once in place. The Bristol Pegasus also receives some attention by way of ignition wiring and other details. As with the cockpit, there are literally dozens of small parts for detailing the undercarriage and inter-wing struts. Lovely as the Airfix kit is, the wing fold is one area that looks a little spartan. Happily, Eduard have this covered with some nice etch parts that capture the look of the real thing. Details are also provided for the ordnance supplied with the kit, including the torpedo. There are even details for the floats supplied with the brand new float plane version as well.

bin.jpg

Swordfish Zoom (self adhesive)

This ‘Zoom’ set is comprised of just the pre-painted self-adhesive fret from the set reviewed above. It is therefore cheaper and, presumably, zoomier.

bin.jpg

Conclusion

How do you make an excellent kit even better? Add some fine photo etched details of course! If the Airfix Swordfish wasn’t brilliant enough already, Eduard have now enabled us to wring even more detail from the sprues. With the new floatplane version of the kit now available, it’s the perfect time to get stuck into what should be an absorbing build. Highly recommended.

Review samples courtesy of

logo.gif

• 4 years later...

i recently obtained two of these kits at half price so I got the full set with the intention of building the silver finish as oob ad the camo version with folded wings and full details inside and out, Wish me luck. I hope to do a wip as soon as I can.

Edited by keith57
  • Like 1

I too bought these update sets but was disappointed with the lack of sighting bars for the torpedo launching system in the Eduard set. I had to purchase the White Ensign Models update set as they were included in their photo-etch set for the Swordfish.

• 1 year later...