Doug Rogers

This is what I'll be building for starters;

006-23.jpg

Instructions are the good old exploded diagram, which should prove interesting;

007-20.jpg

Detail is remarkably good for the age;

008-20.jpg

009-19.jpg

Transfers look a little out of register, so may paint the bigger ones.

Edited by Doug Rogers

Nice choice Doug. If you are going to use the decals it may be worth applying a couple of coats of clear to them as I once had some old Inpact decals break up into small pieces once immersed in water. Aeroclub Models used to sell a decal set for this kit - it may be worth contacting John Aero [Adams] to see if he has any left.

:giles:

Darius

Yes got this kit too. Looks nice apart from the machine guns which, on my example at least, are amorphous blobs of plastic! (Just got the Silver Wings 1/32 kit so this might not get built). If you're looking for decals, try to track down the Aviation Wokshops "Wings & Waves" series, now sadly hard to find.

Edited by Graham T

Darius - Thanks for the heads up!

Graham - My machine guns aren't too bad actually, may need a little fettling. Wanted to resist getting an AM decal sheet really, may try and paint as many of the markings as I can.

Looking forward to following your build Doug, I have the Inpact Bristol Bulldog to start.

Has the Flycatcher got a number of mould marks over the 'fabric' wing? and are the 'fabric' parts covered in a moulded fabricesque pattern, the Bulldog has a very fine detailing all over it which I am considering smothing down to get a good consitant paint finish.

Yes it has some pretty impressive ejector pin marks, and it does have the sort of hatched fabric effect as well. I was thinking the same as you, going to give it a going over with some fine abrasive paper.

This looks like a challenge Doug.

What a great nostalgia trip those instructions are - I hope you'll be following them word for word!

Cliff

"Taketh thou the starboard fuselage side & cementeth it unto the larboard side" :winkgrin:

A chap at work asked me what I was making next, when I told him, he didn't believe me, thought I was making it up!

The rigging looks interesting, it tells you to attach two 3ft long threads to the top of the landing gear struts, then thread it all over the plane in a continuous loop.

Not long to go now chaps!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Made a start on the prop and engine;

036-3.jpg

Did my usual thing of having a brass prop shaft and sleeve, haven't finished painting the cyclinders yet, but you get the idea;

038.jpg

May give the prop blades another going over with brown oil paint to darken it down a bit more.

• Like 2

Yes, hand painted. Well the undercoat was sprayed, Tamiya Desert Yellow, then brush painted Windsor and Newton Raw Umber over the top, sort of dragged along the length of the blades until happy. I'll wait until that's properly dried, then go over it again to darken it a little.

• 2 weeks later...

I would just give the prop a coat of clear orange mate,will darken it without losing any grain effect.

Coat of clear orange applied.

Have you ever started detailing something, then wished you hadn't started! Thought the plastic pushrods looked a little clunky, would have scaled out at nearly 2inches diameter, so thought I'd do my own out of 0.2mm nickel rod!!

Done the front 7 cylinders, just the rear bank to do.

029-4.jpg

Edited by Doug Rogers

Coat of clear orange applied.

Have you ever started detailing something, then wished you hadn't started! Thought the plastic pushrods looked a little clunky, would have scaled out at nearly 2inches diameter, so thought I'd do my own out of 0.2mm nickel rod!!

Done the front 7 cylinders, just the rear bank to do.

I think a biplane such as this needs the finer detail to look right and your pushrods certainly look to scale!

good job so far.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, got some done this morning, last pics of the engine I promise;

009-20.jpg

Contact!

010-18.jpg

Made up a cushion from a gash piece of resin;

005-25.jpg

Painted up the cockpit area, instrument panel and wheels;

011-11.jpg

Painted the interior of the fuselage, Dark Grey and White;

012-11.jpg

Get some more done tomorrow hopefully!

Edited by Doug Rogers

Thanks Col., hope you're right.

Got the fuselage buttoned up and lower wings on, starting to take shape now. Tail surfaces are mocked up at the moment, need to paint up the rudder and get the markings on as they all sort of go on in one piece, engine blu-tacked on at the moment too, going to leave that off until the end;

005-26.jpg

Painted the doped areas with a mix of Humbrol Aluminium and White, engine panels are in Alclad Aluminium.

It is coming along fine.

I bought my Flycatcher off eBay about 4 years ago. I too replaced the push rods because most we're missing. it really makes the engine a little sharper.

My decals were rubbish so I had to make new ones.

I had trouble with the landing gear as the parts were warped. When I finally got them in place, one of our cats batted the thing form a shelf on the bookcase. When I collected the pieces of the gear, there were a couple of extra pieces (?)

Anyhow the build turned out OK. Ithink Lindbergh may be re-releasing the Flycatcher this year or next.

Good luck with the rest of your build.